10-13-10, 07:31 PM   #1
love4stupidppl
A Black Drake

Thumbs up Carb in Cataclysm *CONFIRMED!*

I contacted one of the original owners/devs of this addon via email.
Here is his response:

Yes, I am one of the owners of Carbonite and the main programmer of the addon.

We plan on releasing a new version for Cataclysm when Cataclysm comes out.

Now that this has been cleared up, I say those of you who were waiting for a definitive answer go donate so they can get some encouragement.

Updates:

Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
We were caught off guard by the 4.0 patch. Haavok is out of town. I have not been playing games the last several weeks, since I'm busy on other projects. My son plays Wow, but has not for the last few days, so we had no idea there was a patch until I got that email today and thought he meant Cataclysm. I ran WoW and the update started saying "4.01". Needless to say I was surprised!

There will be a Carbonite update.

I will be working on fixing immediate 4.0 issues tonight/tomorrow. Don't know how long that will take. Still trying to get our computers patched up. Son's is having errors...
Thanks for the donations! They definitely encourage us to work on it.

We now have the patch applied and WoW seems to be running OK, so I'm looking into the errors now. I'll be up late.
Good news! A ton of code has been patched. The UI, options, map, watch list, quest log and warehouse all seem to be working well.

Blizz is restarting the servers, so I'm off to bed, but I should have a 4.0 beta out tomorrow night (Oct 14) after I wake up and get 4-8 more hours of fixes and testing in.

Beta Version has been released.

To follow latest posts by Carboniteaddon:

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...archid=1773412

Last edited by love4stupidppl : 10-15-10 at 06:29 AM.

10-13-10, 07:58 PM   #2
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by love4stupidppl View Post
Now that this has been cleared up, I say those of you who were waiting for a definitive answer go donate so they can get some encouragement.
this.

I will be donating next week (when I get my next paycheck, I didn't budget for it this week). I don't have much but every bit helps!

10-13-10, 08:01 PM   #3
Foras
Premium Member
Premium Member
Fantastic

Fantastic. I sure hope you are for real.

10-13-10, 08:06 PM   #4
waldodamon
A Murloc Raider
Great, so until 12/07 we all get to see the stupid default minimap, as opposed to the customized map / minimap I have known and loved for the last three years......awesome.

Other options, use some inferior addon like chinchilla, which blows...awesome.

10-13-10, 08:12 PM   #5
DJ Particle
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by waldodamon View Post
Great, so until 12/07 we all get to see the stupid default minimap, as opposed to the customized map / minimap I have known and loved for the last three years......awesome.

Other options, use some inferior addon like chinchilla, which blows...awesome.
It's not the best solution, but the lack of Carbonite, like patch 4.0.1 itself, is temporary. I'm not going to just stop playing for 2 months because of it. I'll cope.

10-13-10, 08:14 PM   #6
TrotskyIcepick
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
If you're being truthful I'm grateful that the £20 I've already donated in the past 4 months won't go to waste. I use Chinchilla and Mapster in conjunction with Carb anyway and they both work with 4.0.1 as does TomTom....so less than 2 months is worth the wait.

You can't really blame them for waiting till final Cata release to update such a major addon, just wish they'd responded in some form to the many other posts.

Why do Blizz insist on releasing patches/updates in drips and drabs? Surely they realise there are scores of developers out there releasing popular addons in their spare time that can't possibly keep up-to-date?

WoW isn't the first game to utilise addons, not by a country mile, but I would add it is a game where addons have become more important than most.

Last edited by TrotskyIcepick : 10-13-10 at 08:24 PM.

10-13-10, 08:23 PM   #7
love4stupidppl
A Black Drake

I swear on my life, my wow account, and my 7 80s. I found his email via some snooping, fired off an email earlier in the afternoon. Half expecting it to get bounced off some email server, instead what ya know. To be honest I half expected his answer, in the 3 years I've been using carbonite it's always been this way.

1. Carbonite Working Fine
2. Blizz Releases Patch that breaks Carb.
3. Chaos ensues on the boards.
4. Sometime later an update is released silently.

Just kick back, enjoy wow in its raw state. Contribute what you can, because I can tell you this, back when Carb was subscription based there were alot more new features, now that its free its only just been an effort to keep it stable. If we all really miss these addons this much, as I obviously do because I had to go snooping through the internet to find this guy, we should support them.

10-13-10, 08:29 PM   #8
TrotskyIcepick
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Agreed, make this a payed for addon once again. It's more than worth it. I've only played for the last 9 months so don't remember the hey-day, but if even better functionality could be possible, I'm more than happy to pay for it.

To be honest, with a game as big as WoW that by necessity undergoes many updates, and also by it's very size/complexity/openness has many addons, there are gonna be many times when we just have to sit back for maybe a few days and eventually enough of our addons are updated to make the game playable again. And major complex ones like Carb will just take that little bit longer.

Happy to wait no I know the truth.

Last edited by TrotskyIcepick : 10-13-10 at 08:34 PM.

10-13-10, 08:35 PM   #9
Maul
Ion Engines, Engage!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by TrotskyIcepick View Post
Agreed, make this a payed for addon once again. It's more than worth it. I've only played for the last 9 months so don't remember the hey-day, but if even better functionality could be possible, I'm more than happy to pay for it.

That would violate Blizzard's UI Addon Development Policy

Twitter: @IonMaul | Windows Live: [email protected] | Google Talk: [email protected]

10-13-10, 08:57 PM   #10
Arek
A Kobold Labourer
No Carbonite for 4.0.1? That's quite a shame, since it means a crappy minimap for the next 6 weeks or so unless 4.0.3 comes out sooner and the devs decide to release then, which may happen since "the shattering" is going to be when the quest/area changes hit and blizz DID say that would happen "shortly before" Cata's actual release.

I can't say I blame the Carbonite devs, tho, since gearing up for 4.0.3 is likely to be a ton of work. Hats off to the them, and here's hoping that Carb is ready when 4.0.3 hits. :-)

--Arek

10-13-10, 10:03 PM   #11
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

We were caught off guard by the 4.0 patch. Haavok is out of town. I have not been playing games the last several weeks, since I'm busy on other projects. My son plays Wow, but has not for the last few days, so we had no idea there was a patch until I got that email today and thought he meant Cataclysm. I ran WoW and the update started saying "4.01". Needless to say I was surprised!

There will be a Carbonite update.

I will be working on fixing immediate 4.0 issues tonight/tomorrow. Don't know how long that will take. Still trying to get our computers patched up. Son's is having errors...

10-13-10, 10:15 PM   #12
Kythlyn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

10-13-10, 10:31 PM   #13
1289dude
A Defias Bandit
OMG!!! that is like So Aweosme to hear!

10-13-10, 10:33 PM   #14
Mossclaw
Premium Member
Premium Member
faatal - now you've done it, there's nothing to rant about now!

If it's any consolation, judging from the many rogues I saw running around like chickens with their heads cut off, screaming about poisons and where did they go, you are not the only one to be taken by surprise by the patch. <grin>

Good luck with your son's copy of WoW. :D

10-13-10, 10:35 PM   #15
thafuture
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
YES!!! THANK YOU!!! I keep getting lost in places as simple as stormwind and dalaran without carbonite Q_Q so happy to hear carbonite is coming back to us I can't last another day out there... in the... mazes.... *crawls in the corner in fetal position*

10-13-10, 10:44 PM   #16
shomrac
A Defias Bandit
hi - what do you think how long it will taka to program the Crabonite uptdate for the new patch... its a little bit ****ty to play without it - thanks

10-13-10, 10:48 PM   #17
mccompunerd
A Fallenroot Satyr
totally understand taking a few days off. I often only play on the weekends. Thank you very much for your hard work making an awesome addon, and I really look forward to getting it working again. I'll be donating to y'all next payday.

10-13-10, 10:53 PM   #18
Amaryn
A Kobold Labourer
Well, I've been using this addon for a few years, and I haven't donated..simply because it hadn't crossed my mind. But soon as I get my card, I'm going to do so.

So much time has to go into this, and they deserve some compensation.

10-13-10, 11:05 PM   #19
Starbuxx
A Defias Bandit
Very happy to see carbonite will be out in cata.. its sorta funny the frenzy this one mod has created when its broke.. and i dont know the authors.. but with kids and im sure a job.. those are first then comes game.. so i can respect that and i thank them for creating the one mod i would keep in a heartbeat if i had to choose only one mod to keep....

Starbuxx

10-13-10, 11:12 PM   #20
Vandesdelca32
A Kobold Labourer

Originally Posted by TrotskyIcepick View Post

To be honest, with a game as big as WoW that by necessity undergoes many updates, and also by it's very size/complexity/openness has many addons, there are gonna be many times when we just have to sit back for maybe a few days and eventually enough of our addons are updated to make the game playable again. And major complex ones like Carb will just take that little bit longer.

Happy to wait no I know the truth.
If Carbonite could be made on a paid-for basis, they would, but that's against the ToU now. But, for all the work that's gone into it, and being able to see it in action over the last year... I have loved it so much. I don't want to see it go away!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carb in Cataclysm *CONFIRMED*