02-04-12, 01:04 PM   #1
Ezmaralda
A Fallenroot Satyr

fps drop

Just an fyi, Carb is causing a major fps drop! i am getting 15-35 fps with it on by itself, i turn it off and i get 60-85.

02-05-12, 03:50 AM   #2
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

This issue has been reported many times but the carbonite devs are adament that the issue is not with carbonite.

Or they are just blindly ignorant that there is no issue with their product despite numerous complaints by Carbonite users.

Either that or they just don't care anymore.

02-05-12, 08:29 AM   #3
Chmee
A Molten Giant
If any of your hypotheses were true, then everyone would have fps problems with carbonite running. I don't have such problems. Therefore, your hypotheses are incorrect.

02-05-12, 08:52 AM   #4
Vlad
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sadly, there is not enough data to confirm or deny any hypotheses as of now. May be that the low fps is causes due to slow CPU, while it is not noticeable on higher end machines, there are many factors that can contribute to lower fps and the cause may be the addon itself, yet I kind of suspect some other addon maybe in conjunction with Carbonite, that causes this.

Simply disable all addons and run only Carbonite then see if the fps is really that low because of it or not.

02-06-12, 06:50 AM   #5
OmegaExtreme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
Simply disable all addons and run only Carbonite then see if the fps is really that low because of it or not.
Originally Posted by Ezmaralda View Post
Just an fyi, Carb is causing a major fps drop! i am getting 15-35 fps with it on by itself, i turn it off and i get 60-85.
He's already done that.

02-06-12, 06:57 AM   #6
Vlad
A Molten Giant

I saw the other thread too, seems there is some issue.

02-06-12, 10:28 AM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
If any of your hypotheses were true, then everyone would have fps problems with carbonite running. I don't have such problems. Therefore, your hypotheses are incorrect.

With normal questing, I don't have any FPS issues with Carbonite either. No idea if it affects me in raids because I don't have it (or any other non raid related addons) enabled when I go in.

I have, by todays standards, and outdated rig. However, my machine runs the same as it did back when I first built it and it was considered high end. Very smooth

Gigabyte EP45-UD3L. Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3GHz
4GB(2x2GB) G-Skill DDR2 1066 MHz @ 5-5-5-15
Saphire Radeon 1GB GDDR5 4870

Last edited by Petrah : 02-06-12 at 10:31 AM.

02-06-12, 07:06 PM   #8
Othgar
"That" Guy

Just a theory here but, I'm wondering if the FPS loss that some of us are experiencing is due to Carbs settings, or more specificly the way we have Carb set up. I run more or less "out of the box" settings. Minimap not merged with the carb map, herb and mining nodes imported, and I don't use the Carbonite Social window.

I can't really think of anything else that could be causing the issue. It would seem by the other thread that at least some of us are experiencing around a 30% FPS drop with only carb enabled. But without actually listing everyone's setup of Carbonite then this could be an elusive bug (and listing everyone setup could be even more of a pita). I'll play around a little more and try a few different things with Carb tonight and tomorrow and see if I get any different results though.

Edit:

So I did a little playing around quickly. All I did was disable carbonite take a screenie, enable carbonite take a screenie, and enable carbonite but disable every option within it and take a screenie.

No carbonite enabled:
Click image for larger version

Name:	no carb.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	6780

Carbonite as I normally use it:

Name:	carb as used.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	6781

and with all options disabled:

Name:	carb all opts.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	6782

All I did was play with carbonite to reduce the number of things that could change. To be honest the FPS loss doesn't really bother me much normally since I run with Vertical Sync enabled. But I have to admit with the silence of the devs, and clear evidence that there COULD be a problem I am forced to think that carb may be on it's way out. Hopefully just to make room for a Carbonite 2 or some such though

Last edited by Othgar : 02-06-12 at 07:34 PM. Reason: update

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » fps drop