10-20-05, 06:19 AM   #1
Repent
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Load old Addons

I tried this for the first time last night and overall the app is pretty good. Are you ever going to get this app into a state where you can load an xml file into design view? It would be nice to load in an old project I have done instead of trying to remake it.

Last edited by Repent : 10-20-05 at 06:22 AM. Reason: update title
10-20-05, 08:01 AM   #2
Asmati
A Murloc Raider
I had the same question. I didn't know if I was just missing some option somplace to render existing XML.
10-20-05, 05:28 PM   #3
noraj
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
how objects are handled doesnt really support back and forth(and if you edit the XML in a differrent file for a form and then open the form in WoW UI Designer and save it you will lose all manual changes you made to the XML code)
10-20-05, 06:37 PM   #4
Nulkris
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I did put it in bold in both the forum post and the release notes that the designer would not support old XML files. You have the File List Renderer that allows you to view the XML layout, edit the anchor offsets and reload in order to see changes.

It may be possible in the future to import any XML file into the designer, but they can be pretty complex and covoluted and I think quite hard to get working well for every file.
10-20-05, 06:46 PM   #5
Repent
A Fallenroot Satyr
Load Addons

Originally Posted by Nulkris
I did put it in bold in both the forum post and the release notes that the designer would not support old XML files. You have the File List Renderer that allows you to view the XML layout, edit the anchor offsets and reload in order to see changes.

It may be possible in the future to import any XML file into the designer, but they can be pretty complex and covoluted and I think quite hard to get working well for every file.
I did see this, but if this is going to be on any use to someone you need to do this. You should be parsing s n xml file and building your frames dynamically. If this can get done this tool would be of good use to those who have built addons already.
10-21-05, 12:57 AM   #6
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The programm does render addons from the addon list. It would be great if it would do the same for project xml files not created with the programm. So you wont be able to move things around by mouse but still be able to have a look how it would look like without having to reload everything and switching over to the addon tree. (hope you understand what I mean ^^' )
10-21-05, 07:09 AM   #7
Asmati
A Murloc Raider
I just found how you can render things from the file list pane. Very nice. This is what I was looking for before.

As for the person who said this won't be useful unless.. I completely disagree. It's very useful as it is, but as with anything, it can alway be made better.

I'm going to add a feature request to the feature request fourm for some easier use of the rendering.
10-21-05, 11:08 AM   #8
Repent
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Asmati
I just found how you can render things from the file list pane. Very nice. This is what I was looking for before.

As for the person who said this won't be useful unless.. I completely disagree. It's very useful as it is, but as with anything, it can alway be made better.

I'm going to add a feature request to the feature request fourm for some easier use of the rendering.
Since I have not played with it since my last post, how can you render the xml file?
10-21-05, 02:21 PM   #9
Asmati
A Murloc Raider
If you go to the file list tab, you can drill down into each addon and piece of blizzard developed UI. You can't render the entire XML file because an XML file can contain more than one frame.

If you drill down below the XML file, you should see things that are labeled "frame" and "button" and "texture" etc.. when you double click on these, it brings up the renderer window and will show what the rendered UI looks like.

I made a feature request to have some way to do this with things on the project explorer panel.
11-02-05, 12:50 PM   #10
Klindel
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
This might not be possible but if you could get the Grammar used for the XML syntax it should be easier to make sense out of any XML file and make loading it possible. Just an idea.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Load old Addons