08-22-12, 03:59 AM   #121
TheRealArkayn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thanks for the comment screenshots, Cairenn. I got a good lol from this one on p.13:

Please do not post comments with people's email addresses.
Please do not steal people's copyrighted addons
As someone who has had to file numerous DMCA notices in the past (not for add-ons, but for a small business I was running), I can identify with the frustration add-on authors are feeling. Put simply, what happens to ARR add-ons is purely and completely under the control of the rights owner. Any other use without explicit permission (read: not implied because someone neglected to respond to an email) is strictly forbidden in the legal arena.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Last edited by TheRealArkayn : 08-22-12 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Can't spell Cairenn...
08-22-12, 06:03 AM   #122
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by TheRealArkayn View Post
... read: not implied because someone neglected to respond to an email ...
Or in my case, because someone else neglected to ever send an email in the first place... seriously, WoA/TTH guys, my email address is at the top of every single file in all of my addons.
08-22-12, 01:32 PM   #123
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
Has Curse staff piped up, considering it is there servers that got data mined illegally?
Yes, Curse is also taking action.
08-23-12, 07:34 AM   #124
Sintacks
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by jaliborc View Post
Yes, Curse is also taking action.
that's good to see/hear/read/... damn internet.
08-23-12, 11:53 AM   #125
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
I was very active on the comment thread when it was up. I also had a phone call with their Creative Director. Honestly, the data mining isn't what I'm up in arms about though. It's the proactive IP theft targeting myself and my fellow authors.

I do know that this has gone up and TTH's board of directors are being involved directly at this point. I'm sure who ever thought this was a good idea regrets it by this point. It's involving people who are going to be more aggravated that their time is being infringed upon than about the issue at hand.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
08-23-12, 04:09 PM   #126
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Curse is taking action? Interesting. The lawyer I talked to had some interesting advice. Because of the legalities of copyright, lawsuits, and other things, I won't mention specifics; however, it is apparently wiser if we, the authors, band together rather than attack individually. There was a caveat, of course.

What I am wondering is if Curse wants or is willing to have authors join whatever legal action they are considering.
08-23-12, 05:22 PM   #127
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
Currently our actions are limited to conversations with their directors and board members, and we're offering to aid authors in preparation of take down notices. I'm not sure exactly what that will bring about or if we're going to be considering anything further.

If there's interest in Curse doing something more significant, working with the authors directly, I can bring it up with our teams internally. If this is something people would be interested in feel free to ping me on your medium of choice.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
08-24-12, 08:12 AM   #128
TheRealArkayn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

If my rights had been infringed upon (and believe me, I keep checking!), I would be more than happy to join in on actions being taken on behalf of authors.

The way I see it, WoA screwed themselves from the word "go." They are effectively going to end up with permission to host such a minor number of the best add-ons available that they should throw in the towel now before they sink anymore resources into this fiasco.

They accuse the authors of being greedy and then do everything in their power to generate traffic and sell ad space. /facepalm
08-24-12, 08:50 AM   #129
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
They planned easy access to addons ... and its a nobrainer now ... curse or wowi ... nothing else Quite a success
08-24-12, 01:35 PM   #130
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Any site that requires you to "claim" your addons just admitted to stealing content. Their site is complete pants besides. /shakeshead
08-24-12, 04:08 PM   #131
SaraFdS
A Fallenroot Satyr

Sent a mail, let's see what happens.

Guess I'll update my addon desriptions with a small note - as these are blatantly copied most of the time, they'll dig their own grave.
08-24-12, 07:35 PM   #132
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Did anyone check these links for me yet that had an account to log in with?
http://worldofaddons.com/wow/sharedmedia
http://worldofaddons.com/wow/sharedmedia-blizzard
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-24-12, 08:16 PM   #133
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Did anyone check these links for me yet that had an account to log in with?
http://worldofaddons.com/wow/sharedmedia
http://worldofaddons.com/wow/sharedmedia-blizzard
You are trying to access a path that is unavailable. Please return the home page

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-24-12, 08:31 PM   #134
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Thanks, Torhal.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-25-12, 09:53 AM   #135
SaraFdS
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by SaraFdS View Post
Sent a mail, let's see what happens.
Pages and files are removed, but I got no reply. Maybe they're tired of being nice to people they've been stealing from?
08-25-12, 11:27 AM   #136
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm wondering about the All Rights Reserved projects still on the site that were written by folks who are incommunicado or have stopped playing altogether...

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
08-25-12, 04:41 PM   #137
SaraFdS
A Fallenroot Satyr

Well, that's gonna be a tough one, as apparently you cannot count too much on common sense from WoA/TTH.

Maybe Curse could take action, as the data was taken from their site as it seems, but then again, they're neither the copyright holders, nor their representatives.
08-26-12, 02:29 AM   #138
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by SaraFdS View Post
Maybe Curse could take action, as the data was taken from their site as it seems, but then again, they're neither the copyright holders, nor their representatives.
Anything available to them would have to be from the business law side of things, a competitor offering the exact same service did rip their entire stock from Curse's servers.
09-04-12, 05:03 PM   #139
Mike-N-Go
A Theradrim Guardian

The owners of their website are "Master Games International Inc.", incorporated in Texas, so that might be where you want to direct your notices.

A link to the business filling information:
http://www.bizapedia.com/tx/MASTER-G...IONAL-INC.html

Author of Daily Bean Counter, MyNameTogglesWhenIAFKorDND, Extended Shutdown Warning, Auto Mail Director, Duel Nullify, Spec Transmiter, Say Again, Window Teller, Who Crafts, Ad Repeater, Privy Cork, Mac Backup, and more.
09-04-12, 06:23 PM   #140
Jpapertowels
A Defias Bandit

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/cla...rld-of-addons/

i thought i would at least get a laugh out of this, turn your speakers down before checking out that confirmation code

Thank you for confirming your claim and also for the laugh. Could you please forward me your World of Addons username so I can assign it to the addon? I attempted to add Jpapertowels but it appears that is not a valid username on our site.

Thank you!

Jason B.
Curses, backfired!

as much as I don't like them putting my addon up without permission, at least it'll get a little more known. Maybe I'll decide to remove it some other day. :P

I didn't need the code, apparently apache redirect to trolololo was enough!

Last edited by Jpapertowels : 09-04-12 at 06:49 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » /sigh ... Here we go again