10-25-13, 01:40 PM   #1
MakeVio
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Shielding

I'll just keep it short and simple. I play priest PvP and PvE all the time, and one of the things I have always keep cautious of is how much more my shield can absorb. Is there any where to calculate how much your shield can absorb until it's depleted? And maybe when the shield is applied, it shows how much health it is shielding, and slowly goes down as it's drained. Or have it's own separate bar with a value of how much is left.

10-25-13, 04:51 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
doesn't it already show as a buff on yourself ?

10-26-13, 09:08 PM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Spent the last couple of days looking into this off and on during my vacation time in South Florida in between sunbathing and playing in my friends pool. But I digress.

Anyway, there is a newish event that allows you to monitor any absorbtion values.

UNIT_ABSORB_AMOUNT_CHANGED

Then use the UnitGetTotalAbsorbs("player") to find out how much has been absorbed.

With that knowledge and some attempts at cooldowns and durations for the buff the screenshot attached shows my mini addon working somewhat. It still glitches with cooldown and duration monitoring. And it won't let me set a color for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_102713_025710.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	7912  

10-28-13, 08:09 PM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Give this lil attachment a go. I have added some locals at the top of the file that can be used to change the sizes of the bar/button and font and it is now movable and the cooldown/duration timers work correctly from what I could see. Theoretically changing the shieldspell value to the spellID for the one your class needs should work fine but not tested thoroughly for that just for the priest Power Word: Shield spell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_102913_015056.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	7919  
Attached Files
File Type: zip XShieldMonitor.zip (2.6 KB, 523 views)

10-29-13, 12:28 PM   #5
MakeVio
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Interesting, works. Nice!

Here's an example if anyone wants to see, it's off to the left

10-29-13, 03:31 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Not sure how long it will be to get this set up as an official addon but having every class at my beck and call ill hopefully get something rugged up for it to work for all classes. For now it's here for those that need it and if Scott can see how the functionality can fit straight into nui go right ahead

10-29-13, 05:11 PM   #7
MakeVio
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Not sure how long it will be to get this set up as an official addon but having every class at my beck and call ill hopefully get something rugged up for it to work for all classes. For now it's here for those that need it and if Scott can see how the functionality can fit straight into nui go right ahead
Yes, I like what you did with it, wasn't expecting something so nifty in mind.

10-29-13, 05:47 PM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
i wasn't sure whether the cooldown animation would work for auras so it was an experiment.

just for giggles if you accidentally forget to put in the '.' of the xsm.icon parent name for icons cooldown create lines the animation has a cool side effect.

I'll update this thread with an official addon link once its done. let me know if there is anything missing that would be useful or if you had something else in mind for a visual.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_102913_234248.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	7921  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_102913_234246.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	7922  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_102913_234243.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	7923  

10-29-13, 06:40 PM   #9
MakeVio
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
i wasn't sure whether the cooldown animation would work for auras so it was an experiment.

just for giggles if you accidentally forget to put in the '.' of the xsm.icon parent name for icons cooldown create lines the animation has a cool side effect.

I'll update this thread with an official addon link once its done. let me know if there is anything missing that would be useful or if you had something else in mind for a visual.
Only thing I can thing of is no background for it, if possible. And each bar having it's own color? Not sure how creative you can get with it

10-29-13, 07:52 PM   #10
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
What do you mean no background for it ?

The color thing I can't fathom yet. I have told it to color the bars differently but it hasn't worked. Gonna need to look up some of my other addons and see if I can see how I got the status bars to color up before. They're not on the laptop to check easily rofl.

11-02-13, 07:12 AM   #11
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Xrystal -- that's an awesome little mod you threw together there! I may incorporate that into 6 if you have no objection?

As for the background, I'm guessing he means the black background behind the bars.

I was in Costa Rica this past week (and had no data access) which is why I missed all this about the 5.4.1 patch (figures it would drop while I was off-grid -sigh) -- otherwise, had I known you were going to be here in Florida, I absolutely would have loved to have made the drive to meet face to face and buy you guys a dinner! ~smile~

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

11-02-13, 10:00 AM   #12
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
No worries. I guessed with your lack of comment that you were incommunicado. We're probably gonna try for a group of us meeting up next time and of course I'm aiming to visit someone in Plattsburg, New York once he gets himself sorted out. Hopefully next year but will see. I did check to see the distance between you and where I'm staying but way far away, for us brits that cant drive that is rofl.

As to incorporating the idea of the addon into nUI 6 go right ahead. Theoretically just substituting the appropriate spell/aura id it should work with other shield abilities. Didn't get that far into it to see how that would work.

11-02-13, 08:45 PM   #13
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Well... next time you're in this neck of the woods, warn a guy! ~lol~ It's only a 3 hour drive to anyplace in Florida, except the keys, from here.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

11-03-13, 03:05 PM   #14
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Do cars actually work in Xanth?

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Suggestion Box » Shielding