10-30-10, 03:17 PM   #1
samishii23
An Aku'mai Servant
Addon Loading Question...

So I want to make a bit of a mod pack... Sorta, except I don't want 10 folders. Dun like that for some reason, but anyways...

Heres the theory...

Game starts, loads addons.
Load my primary addon that is the control hub of all the sub features in it.
Based on options user has selected, the sub features will load or not. Like hide frames / making new ones etc..

Im pretty sure that you can dynamically make a frame in game. I also believe that those frames aren't deleted, atleast until a UIReload, right?

But basicly what I want is to not to weigh down the game with all this stuff. I know the code is there in the background, but its not used until cause.

Does this matter? Or is it still less memory / cpu heavy wise to load the feature when wanted or not? Or does it HAVE to be disabled via the addon controls to not make a mark?
10-30-10, 07:09 PM   #2
eberkain
A Fallenroot Satyr
Bear in mind, im new

But if you put your CreateFrame calls inside a function you define, then they wont get used and the frames wont get generated until you explicitly call that function. You just have to be sure you dont generate them multiple times, because yes, frames cant be deleted, so just split the frame creation to a function you call a single time, and save a flag that tells you if you already called.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Addon Loading Question...