02-28-13, 03:39 PM   #41
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
One more question then, how long before you pick one. Only asking because I'm trying to get a rough idea how long i got to come up with more

02-28-13, 04:11 PM   #42
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by mjumnito View Post
Ok, I have an idea for a new splash. Only 1 thing I need to know first. Is there any rules stating we can or can't use the WoW maps for addon images? Azeroth as a whole for example.
All Blizzard artwork is copyrighted and protected by federal law. Of course, if you get written permission from them to use it, that's a different story. Don't hold your breath... (grin). All original artwork by an artist is, by default, copyrighted automatically... unless it infringes noticeably on someone else's original artwork.

Reference: First owner of copyright
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrig...sion_dichotomy
The author of a work is the initial owner of the copyright in it, and may exploit the work himself or transfer some or all the rights conferred by the copyright to others.[26] The author generally is the person who conceives of the copyrightable expression and fixes it or causes it to be fixed in a tangible form.
The terms "expression" and "tangible form" (underlined above) would/may refer to the logo designs being discussed. Of course, any copyright may be transferred to another person, if required.

02-28-13, 06:05 PM   #43
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
One more question then, how long before you pick one. Only asking because I'm trying to get a rough idea how long i got to come up with more
A fair distance away still, The current alpha is coming along nicely with very few bugs left that I can think of, then i'll move onto the next stage of updating quests, which won't be an easy chore. After that will be the node system (and yes, i'm going to look into ditching carbonite.nodes and adding gather support), then notes system update which should go faster.... at that point i'll be ready for a general release even tho still a lot to do like updating the map guide / icons and adding localization.

Until it's ready for a general release i'll be keeping it as Carbonite just to keep and maintain the backwards compatability with the current live release if people need to switch back. If i have the cash i'm thinking i'll hold a contest and let everyone vote on the new logo, award a blizzstore pet or something to the creator and to one random person who votes.... been wanting to run some kinda contest for you users anyways as the total # of downloads inches closer and closer to the momentous 10 million mark, so it works to have a good reason to run it :P

Last edited by Rythal : 02-28-13 at 06:07 PM.

02-28-13, 06:21 PM   #44
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
thinking further on it, might try to get some folks to help pick 5 or 10 semi-finalists out of everything created and submitted until that point. If i can talk them into doing it :P

02-28-13, 08:52 PM   #45
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

OK, IMO, this is kinda rough. Having said that, the more I look at it I like it. But then again I made it so I'm some what bias . Tell me what y'all think of this one

I was trying to get the Map aspect and the recoding aspect to work together

02-28-13, 08:53 PM   #46
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That's VERY difficult to read.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-28-13, 08:57 PM   #47
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

better?

02-28-13, 09:32 PM   #48
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
No. The background's not the issue. It's the dark green text against the black shadows and kerning on the font.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-28-13, 09:35 PM   #49
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

lol fair enough, i didnt really think it would work but it was worth a try. Cant win them all

03-01-13, 08:03 PM   #50
Kreelor
A Firelord

Question Questions about logo design requirements, etc.

I believe some of the questions have been asked already, but I haven't seen replies to them.

So, here are a few things I'm not clear on, and maybe others need to know these issues, too:
* Where will the logo be used primarily? (in-game, websites, banner ads, etc.).
* Will it be used in multiple ways? (Where else would it be used, potentially? -- see previous question).
* Which file format, or formats will be required? (.jpg, .tiff, .png, etc.).
* Is an Alpha channel required? (eg; transparent background). If so, which file format (.jpg, .png, .tiff, or another)?
* What dimensional size (width/height in pixels) is desired?
* What is the maximum filesize requirement?
* What textual content is desired or required? (I know it's about 'Carbonite2'/'Carbonite II', but is there more?)
* Are there any preferred colors? (backgrounds, lettering, etc.).
* Are there any preferred or recommended fonts?
* Can, or should it be animated? (eg; animated gif - as used in banners, etc.).
* What other design requirements or preferences should be considered?
Knowing the answers to such questions before the design/creation process begins is of utmost importance.

03-01-13, 10:14 PM   #51
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Wow! I never even thought about all of that stuff. I just figured it was for the in-game splash screen.

Speaking of which, here's another dull one for you guys :
(Picture may be smaller than intended. Original size is 512 x 256. Click the picture for a larger version (if needed).)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbonite2.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	7609
I'm sticking with the "less is more" concept.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

03-01-13, 11:16 PM   #52
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Wow! I never even thought about all of that stuff. I just figured it was for the in-game splash screen......
Even so, even that splash screen image has certain graphical properties, and I don't know what they are. Did you make yours to match whatever properties it has? That's the kind of thing I want to know, and anybody else should know exactly what is needed so that the image will display properly -- just as the original one does now.

QUESTION: Jeffy162, do you know where I could dig into the file system to find that specific graphic (the one being used currently) so that I could examine its properties and use those as a foundation? I don't know where to look.

By the way, your graphic is very 'clean' (that's a high compliment!). I think it ranks in the top of all that I've seen, so far. Several of the others are also very well done! But, as the "Highlander" says... "There can be only one!"

The ones I made were never finalized, purposely. They are merely quick sketches. I needed something to begin the conversation (which I started in the previous post). heh heh.

Submitting a 1920 x 1080 graphic may not be suitable for use as a replacement for the existing one that Rythal wants to replace. The existing, in-game one which moves across the screen with sound, is much smaller (at my monitor's rez), even though I still don't know the exact size of it and which file format it's in. That's what I'm hoping to find out the specifics on before I begin a serious attempt at a design. It takes the same amount of time to create one that won't be suitable as it would to create would that will be suitable! Makes sense to me.

I'm still hoping for some answers.

03-02-13, 01:50 AM   #53
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I'll field the location question. Its in "World of Warcraft\interface\addons\Carbonite\Gfx", the main splash is called "Carbonite.tga", tga being the file format that wow uses for images ingame. Also going to include the dimensions, included channels and resolution of the original file. For the dimensions, the original is 512px (7.111 in) x 256 (3.556 in). 3 channels (RBG color). resolution = 72px/in.

Edit: Oh and just FYI for everybody wanting to make a animated banner, like a gif, you cant for the fact that tga files don't support animation

Last edited by mjumnito : 03-02-13 at 01:59 AM.

03-02-13, 04:20 AM   #54
Kreelor
A Firelord

....."Carbonite.tga", tga being the file format that wow uses for images ingame. Also going to include the dimensions, included channels and resolution of the original file. For the dimensions, the original is 512px (7.111 in) x 256 (3.556 in). 3 channels (RBG color). resolution = 72px/in.
Thanks for replying with some of the information. I didn't know about the .tga format. The dimensions are really helpful. I threw 2 quick examples together merely so I could try the info you gave, I'll attach them here. I haven't tried, but I doubt the .tga versions I made will display here. 72px rez is fine for the Internet.

EDITED: Isn't 512px X 256px rather large compared to the graphic that now floats across the game screen?

These 2 examples look quite blurry at this size. Clicking each one to enlarge them sharpens them up just a little bit. I'm aware that bitmap images scramble when size is altered.

I haven't changed my CMYK colors to RGB yet. I forgot to do that! grin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carbonite_Logo_512x256_ver1.PNG
Views:	393
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	7610  Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbonite_Logo_512x256_ver2.PNG
Views:	418
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	7611  

Last edited by Kreelor : 03-02-13 at 04:23 AM. Reason: a last minute thought...

03-02-13, 06:40 AM   #55
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

WoW textures sizes have to be a multiplicator of 8. So your texture needs a width/height of 16,32,64,128,256,512,1024 is what you have to work with.

But this does not mean your actually logo has to be that big. You can have a 200x100 logo inside a 256x128 texture.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

03-02-13, 06:45 AM   #56
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
Thanks for replying with some of the information. I didn't know about the .tga format. The dimensions are really helpful. I threw 2 quick examples together merely so I could try the info you gave, I'll attach them here. I haven't tried, but I doubt the .tga versions I made will display here. 72px rez is fine for the Internet.

EDITED: Isn't 512px X 256px rather large compared to the graphic that now floats across the game screen?

These 2 examples look quite blurry at this size. Clicking each one to enlarge them sharpens them up just a little bit. I'm aware that bitmap images scramble when size is altered.

I haven't changed my CMYK colors to RGB yet. I forgot to do that! grin.
Technically speaking, World of Warcraft uses a proprietary file format called BLP (I have absolutely no clue what that stands for, sorry) with a file extension of .blp. However, WoW can also read .tga graphic files and, apparently on Macs only, .png's. The nice thing about the BLP's, though, is that it is a very compact file format. Which is a good thing, since there are a literal ton of graphics in any video game. As an example for this, I've managed to cut down the physical file size of the various graphical plug-ins I make (for Minimap Button Frame and Masque (formally Button Facade)) by around half just by converting the graphics from .tga's to .blp's.

All of that aside, though, yes, the graphic you want is where mjumnito stated and in the .tga format with no additional transparency (Alpha channel) layer. The original graphic doesn't need one and as far as I can tell none of the others do either.

One thing to keep in mind while we are attempting to make a new graphic for Carbonite is that there is, in-game, a black frame that is programmatically put around the graphic along with the Carbonite addon information for whatever version is currently in use in your game. I think that's why black will work so much nicer as a background for the graphic, along with the graphic itself not having any thing contained in (on?) it that appears to "run" off the edges of it. This is my opinion, though, and I know that the frame can be changed around to "fit" any graphic size and color. Well, more correctly, the graphic can be re-sized by the addon to fit whatever size the author decides is appropriate to use so, essentially, the size of the graphic really doesn't matter except for how much memory it takes up, I guess.

I did an in-game test on my last graphic to see how it looked and this is the result. I run an addon called "Flourish" and that's the text that is overlaying the bottom of the graphic.

Name:	C-2 Test.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	7612 Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbonite Graphic Screen Test-1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	7613
As with everything I post, you might have to click on the picture to get a larger version and, depending on your browser settings, it may open in a new tab or window. Sorry.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 03-02-13 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Typo. DOH!!

03-02-13, 06:55 AM   #57
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by zork View Post
WoW textures sizes have to be a multiplicator of 8. So your texture needs a width/height of 16,32,64,128,256,512,1024 is what you have to work with.

But this does not mean your actually logo has to be that big. You can have a 200x100 logo inside a 256x128 texture.
Not disagreeing here, but I thought the graphic dimensions had to be a power of 2 per side? IE: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc., etc., .... .

Essentially the same thing? Sorry, Zork, I know you have a lot more knowledge about this than I do, and math was never my "strong suit" anyway.

03-02-13, 10:09 AM   #58
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, I changed my latest graphic a bit to try something out, and it appears that it doesn't matter, currently, if there is any transparency in the Carbonite logo graphic.

Name:	Carb-Layered-Gimp copy.png
Views:	168
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	7614
It may not be obvious, but most of it is transparent with only an "oval" of black behind the logo with the rest of it being transparent. When I click on the image for the larger view, the transparent part turns white, so if that is what you see, that's why. The uploaded image is a .png that is 512 x 256. No screen shot since it looks exactly like the previous one in-game.

I have another version I was going to try, also, but I think I'll wait for that one (or, more likely, not at all).

Name:	CArb-Layered-2.png
Views:	169
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	7615
This one is black with the same oval behind the logo being transparent. It's even less obvious than the other one.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 03-02-13 at 10:11 AM.

03-02-13, 12:58 PM   #59
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
It may not be obvious, but most of it is transparent with only an "oval" of black behind the logo with the rest of it being transparent. When I click on the image for the larger view, the transparent part turns white, so if that is what you see, that's why.
Earlier, you stated that an Alpha channel was not required, but it appears that your graphic does use one. If there was no Alpha channel (used to set the 'background to transparent') then you'd have a rectangular "block" showing whatever the "Page" paper color was at the time you created the graphic with your graphics software program. Your 2 examples seem to show that.

A good example of what I'm saying is viewing your attachments on this forum page. This forum's topics page uses a "background" color which is not quite black (0,0,0) and one of your images display that fact.

Am I right, or am I still misunderstanding you? Sorry.

If users cannot output/convert images to ".BLP" hopefully, you or someone else can do that.

03-02-13, 01:16 PM   #60
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
I believe some of the questions have been asked already, but I haven't seen replies to them.

So, here are a few things I'm not clear on, and maybe others need to know these issues, too:
* Where will the logo be used primarily? (in-game, websites, banner ads, etc.).
* Will it be used in multiple ways? (Where else would it be used, potentially? -- see previous question).
* Which file format, or formats will be required? (.jpg, .tiff, .png, etc.).
* Is an Alpha channel required? (eg; transparent background). If so, which file format (.jpg, .png, .tiff, or another)?
* What dimensional size (width/height in pixels) is desired?
* What is the maximum filesize requirement?
* What textual content is desired or required? (I know it's about 'Carbonite2'/'Carbonite II', but is there more?)
* Are there any preferred colors? (backgrounds, lettering, etc.).
* Are there any preferred or recommended fonts?
* Can, or should it be animated? (eg; animated gif - as used in banners, etc.).
* What other design requirements or preferences should be considered?
Knowing the answers to such questions before the design/creation process begins is of utmost importance.
It's primary places of use will be the ingame splash and website. It also might end up on a t-shirt if I manage to get a blizzcon ticket :P

I would say primary background should be black as jeffy pointed out the ingame display currently counts on that.

It can be any format, tho as mentioned above it's final for ingame will be TGA

No Textual requirements

No animation, since the ingame engine can't use it.

In general i'm giving free reign on colours / text / style ... Carbonite2 will be a new beginning, so i'm not relying on anything from old.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » any graphic artists?