05-05-16, 08:11 AM   #1
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cairenn (et al)...you've ruined me

Cairenn (et al)...you've ruined me. Yes, you have.

I recently uploaded an addon to WoW Interface (Executive Assistant) and the description contains a fair bit of bbcode markup. I admit I spent a bit of time getting it to look right but, with the preview, it went smoothly and displayed properly when the addon was released. The entire process of posting the addon was quite straight forward and intuitive, controls were in obvious places, and, frankly, the only real complaint I have could be resolved with a single line of disambiguation.

Therein lay the problem, you addon-author-loving, intuitive-site-making bastards.

I subsequently uploaded the addon to Curse -- an aptly named site; I did a lot of it during that upload.

I spent a couple decades coding for a well-known tech corporation so the fun stuff over there isn't something too different (upload to one site, publish on another; upload site has DARK theme to preview description markup then published on a LIGHT themed publish site; bbcode that isn't bbcode but a wikicreole wrapper; preview engine on upload site interprets wikicreole one way but the publish site interprets it a different way so things don't display right; a preview on the upload site that is WIDE while the display areas is NARROW; the upload site's narrow description display is, again, different from the publish site... and that's just the description!) -- oh, it brings back memories of the corporate world, oh the wrist-slitting memories... but, I digress.

I used to blithely zip along with out taking it too seriously, it was just the normal world: it was borked, nobody cared, time and productivity got wasted but dealing with it was always "not our departmental mission" (even when that mission was 'systems integration and usability'). Anything really well put-together was an aberration, some odd mutant strain of code that an executive would surely put-wrong in the next version. It's been a while since I've felt my brain try to leak out my ears in despair -- not even an election year did it, but they managed.

I hope you're happy, Cairenn and company. I hope you're really pleased with yourselves. You made this a wonderful site to be an author on. And ruined me; I've been spoiled by good, user-oriented design.

Last edited by VincentSDSH : 05-06-16 at 01:45 AM.
05-05-16, 11:11 AM   #2
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Wait wat? 10char
05-05-16, 11:42 AM   #3
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Resike View Post
Wait wat?
TL;DR: Using a well-designed process (this site) lessens one's tolerance for and patience with less considered ones and forces one to appreciate the former just that much more.
05-05-16, 11:45 AM   #4
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Thanks!

Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
...the only real complaint I have could be resolved with a single line of disambiguation.
Could you expand on this?
05-05-16, 11:49 AM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
It's not my fault! I didn't do it! It's all, umm, hmm - Dolby! Yeah, yeah, it's all Dolby's fault! He did it! It wasn't me! Blame him!

05-05-16, 01:20 PM   #6
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Could you expand on this?
Certainly. On the Manage Addon / Modify File page resides the below control.

At first blush, this seems to imply that, if submitted as-displayed, the current file will be archived and none will be available for download. The user has two questions presented:
  • What happens if a file is not attached?
  • Should the 'Archive previous file' be unchecked before submitting if no file attached?
One may make some logical assumptions (e.g., Archive only applies if a file is added; a file need not be added or will produce an error; etc) but the user may not be 100% certain what the behavior will be.
05-05-16, 02:05 PM   #7
Yukyuk
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Oh may, lol

To the original poster, love your sense of humor.
05-07-16, 10:03 AM   #8
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

We all know what will happen to Dolby for this. MORE WORK!
05-07-16, 10:22 AM   #9
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
Certainly. On the Manage Addon / Modify File page resides the below control.

At first blush, this seems to imply that, if submitted as-displayed, the current file will be archived and none will be available for download. The user has two questions presented:
  • What happens if a file is not attached?
  • Should the 'Archive previous file' be unchecked before submitting if no file attached?
One may make some logical assumptions (e.g., Archive only applies if a file is added; a file need not be added or will produce an error; etc) but the user may not be 100% certain what the behavior will be.
I can actually agree on this. This is kinda confusing for the new authors.
05-07-16, 05:08 PM   #10
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Thanks, I'll work on updating that.

That area is going to change a little bit. I'm working on adding the ability for authors to upload addons for Live / Beta / Alpha, etc.
09-18-17, 02:39 AM   #11
Taraezor
A Fallenroot Satyr

Cursed!

Could not agree more with the OP.

Also, I have had to instal Chrome just so I can make my uploads to Curse less... cursed.

Some time ago before the reorganisation / redesign over at Curseforge and Curse I noticed that changes to description text on the 'forge began to take a lot longer to get mirrored on Curse. Also, page load times and general delays extended quite a lot. I looked into it. My conclusion was that it was a question of economics and whatever backends are used, they are running on a much slimmer budget.

Then the new-beaut Curseforge. What a nightmare. An overall reduction in features, from my point of view, as well as all the problems the OP listed.

Their search function also does not work properly. They seem to use a cache and that cache, presumably for budget reasons, gets updated infrequently. It was weeks before my new Long Forgotten Hippogryph AddOn would show up when you entered "Long Forgotten Hippogryph" in their search engine. Doh!

Sometimes, in frustration, I direct people via my AddOn comments to THIS website if they want the latest version of an AddOn.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Cairenn (et al)...you've ruined me