11-23-06, 09:18 PM   #1
slymm
A Murloc Raider
Requires reloading ui

My apologies if this has been covered before, but I didn't see anything off hand.

First, Code Knowledge. While I'm a novice of XML and LUA code, I'm quite adept at LPC which is somewhat similar, so I'm at least able to decipher the code.

Now, I'm working on a PlayerFrame that resembles the one from W3. I've got many things working that I didn't think I'd be able to figure out, like a 3D model of the current character and stats listed on the widget. My problem lies in that when I first log in, the portrait is empty and the stats/level are set to 0. Only after I reload the ui does the 3d portrait show and the stats and level update to the current values.

I have tried running the Portrait and stats through OnLoad and OnShow with each pointing to:
function UpdatePortrait()
Set3DPortrait(PlayerWindow_PortraitFrame_Portrait3D, "player")
end

function Set_Strings()
NameText:SetText(UnitName("player"));
LevelText:SetText(format(TEXT(PLAYER_LEVEL),UnitLevel("player"), UnitRace("player"), UnitClass("player")));
Get_Stats()
end
The Player name and stat labels show up just fine, it's just the numerical data and the portrait that aren't loading.

Any suggestions on where I might look for getting the data to load correctly?
11-24-06, 05:38 PM   #2
Karrion
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you're calling that in OnLoad, much of the information is not available to the UI yet. Try calling it through OnEvent where event==PLAYER_LOGIN.

Don't forget you'll need to catch any other events that might change the stats and update your display, eg PLAYER_LEVEL_UP ;-)
11-25-06, 01:39 AM   #3
slymm
A Murloc Raider
Thanks

Thank you for that, I'll change up the code and see if it works better. And yeah, I have it checking for other events so that the stats and everything get changed if I level or add/remove armor. Thanks again.
11-25-06, 01:45 AM   #4
slymm
A Murloc Raider
It worked

Well look at that, set it to trigger off of PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD and it works like a charm... now if I can just figure out health/mana bars I'll be rocking.

Thank you again, again. And one more time.
11-25-06, 11:13 AM   #5
sarf
A Cyclonian
If you mean updating health/mana bars:

Use the events UNIT_MANA and UNIT_HEALTH (check so that arg1 == "player" ) and update them at those events.

Sarf
11-26-06, 05:33 PM   #6
Karrion
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by sarf
Use the events UNIT_MANA and UNIT_HEALTH (check so that arg1 == "player" ) and update them at those events.
And UNIT_RAGE and UNIT_ENERGY for us non-mana-users ;-)
11-26-06, 05:40 PM   #7
sarf
A Cyclonian
Pfah, just stuff it and and spam Sunder Armor / Sinister Strike.

Sarf

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Requires reloading ui