03-29-09, 06:48 AM   #1
watchout
A Fallenroot Satyr
Call for help: DruidStats I & LibItemStats

This is a call for help, as I'm currently overwhelmed by other work and both projects could use some additional minds. I know that's a load of stuff written there below, but even a little help would really help me out here.

If you're interested, hit the googlegroup at http://groups.google.com/group/druidstats-beta (and sign up) and be sure to put a hint here in the thread too so the group is not invaded by spambots
If you already know what you'd like to do, you can write that in the signup-form too.

I'd also love to find a co-developer, experience shows that programming with someone in a team increases at least my code output

Now about those projects:

DruidStats I
(I stands for international, since the original was not localized at all, btw.) At the moment this project is only hosted on curse, but I'm willing to change that if any of you prefer wowif (I'm just upping package files anyway here)
  • Here the most important I need is beta testers and maybe some people that can modify the small calculation methods used, there's no big deal here, it's just about testing whether the used methods show the right values.
  • There's another job here to calculate dps, tank points, etc. I guess that would most likely go to dedicated theorycrafters though, since doing dps calculations (etc.) is not an easy task.
  • If someone's interested in implementing DS for other classes - most of the framework is finished, it wouldn't be hard to do, but it's definitely low on the schedule (see for LibItemStats)
LibItemStats
The main purpose for me starting this project was to replace StatLogic's item stat parsing functions in DruidStats, though since I'm quite a perfectionist it has the following features as of now:
  • up to twice as fast as StatLogic, with the best optimizations not even implemented (because they're not important for alpha)
  • support for on-use effects
  • support for cached direct 'mapping' of stats to a tooltip (if you don't know what I mean by this, don't worry, it's a bit hard for me to describe in words)
  • It will have LibItemStatsCollector...
I consider LIS to be currently in Alpha state, since most of the framework is done, but there's no language files at all, due to the fact that I can't consider it's layout as frozen ATM. The whole project was meant to go GPL in beta. It's not on any source-site at the moment but hosted on my private SVN server.
What I / the project would need here:
  • Another mind, helping me straighten out some problems and provide a different POV, I'm currently developing alone so POV is a big problem here.
  • An asian language team / consultant, whom the devs could refer to for implementing the parser. I'm quite afraid of those, since the languages differ notably from other languages in their syntax.
  • Beta testers for all languages
  • Someone to finish my crazy packager bash-/php-/script, since I'm stuck at some point there and not quite sure how to move on. (doesn't have a high prio though)
LibItemStatsCollector
this is a sub-project for LibItemStats meant to ease the problem of Blizzard constantly changing their minds about how item texts should look like and to make it possible for someone who has almost no idea about a language to generate a language file.

So what's to do here?
  • Insert patterns for attribute matching and even more patterns for line matching - I consider this mostly localization work
  • Write a shell/python/ruby/whatever-script to auto-convert LISC results to a deployable language file (this would be really tricky, but would provide great feedback on how good the current layout is)
  • I meant LISC to automatically generate and post-check patterns in-game, there's a worker step in there too. But the work here would be at least as tricky as the deployer, if not more due to the limited availability of tools
As you can guess those three are constantly messing up my programming flow, since they're connected (and DruidStats I needs mending every damned patch), hence the call for help

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Call for help: DruidStats I & LibItemStats