04-25-06, 04:13 PM   #1
Guillotine
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
5-second rule mod (for mana regen)

For some reference, info on the 5-second mana regen rule can be found here: http://www.wowwiki.com/5_second_rule

In the WoWI IRC room, we were discussing the best way to make an addon that has a countdown for the 5-second rule. We had two main ideas:

1. event: SPELLCAST_STOP

Problem: Spells that cost no mana do NOT trigger the 5-second rule.

2. When the caster loses mana

Problem: Sometimes the caster will lose mana due to spells like Mana Drain or Viper Sting.

The conclusion we came to is that in pve, #2 would be better as not many mobs drain mana, but you will likely be using spells with no mana cost.

In pvp, #1 would be better as many people use mana-draining abilities.

Can anybody think of any good way to find the time that the 5-second rule starts?
04-27-06, 04:53 AM   #2
PixelJuice
A Defias Bandit
Could you find out if mana reg is disable and start a 5 sec timer?
I don't know what events fires when this happens but I know it isn't player_regen cuz that's in combat.
04-27-06, 11:18 AM   #3
Iriel
Super Moderator
WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by PixelJuice
Could you find out if mana reg is disable and start a 5 sec timer?
I don't know what events fires when this happens but I know it isn't player_regen cuz that's in combat.
That's the problem, there's no system-generated event when Mana regeneration stops and starts, unlike health regen which has event triggers and an indicator on the default UI.
04-27-06, 12:08 PM   #4
Zevzabich
A Murloc Raider
What if you used a combination of combat log parsing and #1? You could compare the spell being cast with a list of spells that do/don't (whichever is shorter) cost mana.

Or you could use a combination of combat log parsing and #2, checking to see if any drain mana abilities have been used on you.
04-28-06, 01:39 AM   #5
Nyrine
A Fallenroot Satyr
Ive not seen anything on wowinterface, but curse gaming has :

http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=3319

Description :
FiveSec monitors your mana regeneration. It displays a bar — similar to the casting bar that shows when you cast a spell or use your hearthstone — when your mana regeneration is disabled. It is meant as an aid for casters to use their mana better.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » 5-second rule mod (for mana regen)