05-19-21, 02:41 PM   #1
Gello
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For multi-client zip files can we have the page describe versions supported?

An awesome change with TBC and Classic Era is the ability to include multiple toc files in one zip and have it up to date with those versions.

I've taken advantage of that for some addons, checked the 9.0.5, 2.5.1 and 1.13.7 compatibility, but the pages only display 9.0.5 in the topright.

https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...7-TinyPad.html
https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...07-Select.html
https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...-Grounded.html
https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...ddonUsage.html
https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...Portraits.html

The versions it's compatible with is buried behind the File Info tab on the right sidebar.

Can we have it more prominently displayed which versions of the game our addons support?
05-19-21, 02:58 PM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
Yep this is really great news.

I'll work on something to make the compatibility more visible.
05-19-21, 06:02 PM   #3
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Gello View Post
I've taken advantage of that for some addons
Not sure if you're aware, but just in case: The Curse API/Client doesn't truly support multi-version files. Apparently it (setting multiple game versions) "confuses" the client and it will only display one of them. They're supposedly working on a fix, but that's all I can find on the subject. Most people say it won't be Soon™. Hence why most of my add-ons are still multiple packages. :/

Last edited by StormFX : 05-19-21 at 06:07 PM.
05-19-21, 07:05 PM   #4
Gello
A Molten Giant
Thanks Dolby!

The Curse API/Client doesn't truly support multi-version files.
Yeah my experience with curse has been unpleasant over the years. I've stopped posting beta versions on curse long ago and some addons I just post on wowinterface and don't even bother with curse.
05-20-21, 02:19 PM   #5
bsmorgan
A Cobalt Mageweaver
This feature sounds interesting. Is there documentation somewhere I could read?

The Skillet and Skillet-Classic project repositories are on GitHub and CurseForge (for the localization) and are currently uploaded to WoWI, CF, and TukUI using the BigWigsPackager and GitHub actions.

Skillet (retail) is enough different from Skillet-Classic that I'm OK with keeping it separate but so far, the Skillet-Classic source is identical between BCC and Classic(_era) so I believe these two packages could benefit.
05-20-21, 02:47 PM   #6
Gello
A Molten Giant
I learned about it here: https://github.com/Stanzilla/WoWUIBugs/issues/68
(scroll down to last post)
In a future set of builds the client will support loading distinct TOC files on a per-client basis. The implementation we've been informed about is as follows:

If an addon is loaded on the BCC client, the client will first look for a TOC file whose name is suffixed by "-BCC" (eg. "MyAddOn-BCC.toc") and load that if present. If not, the client will fall back and load "MyAddOn.toc".
If an addon is loaded on the Classic client, the client will first look for a TOC file whose name is suffixed by "-Classic" (eg. "MyAddOn-Classic.toc") and load that if present. If not, the client will fall back and load "MyAddOn.toc".
If an addon is loaded on the Retail client, the client will first look for a TOC file whose name is suffixed by "-Mainline" (eg. "MyAddOn-Mainline.toc") and load that if present. If not, the client will fall back and load "MyAddOn.toc".
If an addon fails to find a client-specific TOC and no fallback "MyAddOn.toc" is present, the addon will not be loaded.

The envisioned advantages of this approach are that it will enable us to control the files that are loaded on a per-client basis without requiring separate packages - which the initial request didn't account for - and the same also applies to other TOC attributes such as dependencies.
It's a nice system. It seems to be live now on the 2.5.1 TBC Classic and 1.13.7 Classic Era clients too.

One of my addons is Classic Era and TBC Classic only. For that one I just created a file-BCC.toc and let the original Classic toc be 11307. And it's current on both versions.

A few more (the ones listed in first post here) are now up to date on all three clients by having a file-BCC.toc and file-Classic.toc.
05-21-21, 03:35 AM   #7
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Thats great news ... so great it should be a wowinterface news-entry
05-31-21, 04:45 AM   #8
Rilgamon
Premium Member

Premium Member
Related to this ... when flagged classic or bcc compatible shouldn't an addon automaticly get the related "Optional Categories"-Entry set?
06-05-21, 08:09 AM   #9
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Rilgamon View Post
Related to this ... when flagged classic or bcc compatible shouldn't an addon automaticly get the related "Optional Categories"-Entry set?
Either that or the category listing for those flavors should also list add-ons that support those versions. Good idea, though. Saves having to manually edit the categories.

Last edited by StormFX : 06-05-21 at 01:05 PM.

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » For multi-client zip files can we have the page describe versions supported?