10-11-12, 02:25 PM   #61
Simulo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!
Having each battleground contain it's own map size/location is very important to me when I deal with each and every battleground. AV for me is long and thing and in a different location than the other BG's.

For Simulo, once you have done this once for your character, use the warehouse function to import that characters map locations/sizes to the other characters. This is what I do with all 10 of my toons.

Thank you,
Yep, but each new BG requires me to relocate it. And I once had another account....and I re-arrange my UI like homemakers re-arrange furniture.

10-15-12, 08:58 PM   #62
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Simulo View Post
Will you please, for the love of god, make all the maps use the same container. I hated having to re-locate each BG Map in addition to the World Map.
Simulo, you only need to set everything once for each toon, the change you're asking for would cause pvpers to have to re-size and relocate their map EVERY TIME they played a different BG.

10-15-12, 09:02 PM   #63
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
Yep, but each new BG requires me to relocate it. And I once had another account....and I re-arrange my UI like homemakers re-arrange furniture.
It only requires you to do it the first time you play each BG. Then you just leave it that way forever, and when you come back to that BG at some point in the future, the map is positioned and sized correctly right where you left it. For people like me who frequently play random battlegrounds all night, that feature is invaluable...

10-15-12, 09:29 PM   #64
Simulo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by clipper View Post
It only requires you to do it the first time you play each BG. Then you just leave it that way forever, and when you come back to that BG at some point in the future, the map is positioned and sized correctly right where you left it. For people like me who frequently play random battlegrounds all night, that feature is invaluable...

*facepalms*

I know that it saves it. I'm saying it was completely stupid to implement it so each BG had it's own container.

Instead of making it so all the maps go into the World Map Container, after all that container is hidden/removed while in a BG.

I guess you just don't understand what I'm saying...I really don't know how to explain it any simpler.

10-16-12, 06:03 AM   #65
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
*facepalms*

I know that it saves it. I'm saying it was completely stupid to implement it so each BG had it's own container.

Instead of making it so all the maps go into the World Map Container, after all that container is hidden/removed while in a BG.

I guess you just don't understand what I'm saying...I really don't know how to explain it any simpler.
If the lot of us don't understand what you're saying than there are two reasons. One you are far more intelligent than us (like Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory) or you're not explaining it well/correctly.

My understanding of your use of "container" is the shape and location of each map and how you can re-size or relocate it. If we had one "container" with the world map and each and every BG - then they would all stay in the same place/size unless you re-sized them each time you wanted something different. If this is true, what that means for myself and a lot of PVP enjoyers (I'm not a lover or someone who must PVP, but I enjoy doing randoms/etc.) is that each time we go into AV, we want a tall and thin map, preferably zoomed in. For AB we want a square that is zoomed in and cropping the starting locations/mountains. For WSG again we want a taller, slightly thinner map. For EoTS, probably near the same modifications as AB. For SotA, probably around the dimensions of WSG.

Your proposal, as I understand it, would keep all these maps at the same size and location as the world map (and I also assume zoom) unless we want to change them for a BG, in which case when we get out of a BG, we would need to re-size/relocate/re-zoom in for our preferred world settings?. Is this what you intend/want? If not, try breaking it down into small parts and/or examples for us to understand.

Last edited by schizophrena : 10-16-12 at 06:11 AM.

10-16-12, 08:30 AM   #66
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
*facepalms*

Hmmmm. Yeah seems to be an issue with terminology. Like Schiz, I assumed you meant the frame that the map is in. Don't know what you mean by container, since I don't know the data structures that addons utilize.

Could you explain what you're requesting in terms of the functional effect it would have in-game? If you mean that it would be great that all the custom size/location/zoom settings that you set for each map (BG and world map) would be replicated automatically to all your toons without having to set each one separately or import the settings manually... I would be fully behind that idea!

10-16-12, 10:09 AM   #67
Simulo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Map Container is what ever that frame is tagged (named in the LUA file) that loads the world map into it. They (Carb Devs) made separate containers to load each of the BGs into. I call it a container, some call it a frame. But a frame implies you can see it, which may not always be the case.

This means if you want to change the default location you must drag:

-World Map
-WSG Map
-AB Map
-AV Map
-EotS Map
-SotA Map
-IoC Map
-What ever the map is with the Wildhammer-theme
-What ever the map is with the Worgen-theme
-Any BG introduced in MoP
-Any future BG introduced

Yes, I know you only have to do it once, then load that profile on each character.

But basically, I have to revolve my entire UI around the location of the Carbonite Map (default middle left-side of screen).

My proposal is that you move ONE container, the Map Container. I have no problem with changing zooms.

10-16-12, 11:04 AM   #68
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
Map Container is what ever that frame is tagged (named in the LUA file) that loads the world map into it. They (Carb Devs) made separate containers to load each of the BGs into. I call it a container, some call it a frame. But a frame implies you can see it, which may not always be the case.

This means if you want to change the default location you must drag:

-World Map
-WSG Map
-AB Map
-AV Map
-EotS Map
-SotA Map
-IoC Map
-What ever the map is with the Wildhammer-theme
-What ever the map is with the Worgen-theme
-Any BG introduced in MoP
-Any future BG introduced

Yes, I know you only have to do it once, then load that profile on each character.

But basically, I have to revolve my entire UI around the location of the Carbonite Map (default middle left-side of screen).

My proposal is that you move ONE container, the Map Container. I have no problem with changing zooms.
So, unless I'm crazily misunderstanding what you're saying, there would be one frame/window and all the maps would appear inside that frame, and wherever you moved that frame, the BG maps, the world map, etc would all appear inside it.

I totally don't want that, at all. I have every BG map sized and shaped differently. My alterac Valley map runs down the whole left side of my screen because it's an incredibly long, narrow BG. My Eye of the Storm and Arathi Basin BG maps are also narrow and elongated to show the nodes and the rez points in the north and south. Some of the maps are basically square, but they're differently sized depending on how densely packed with detail they are. I don't WANT a single "one size fits all" uni-frame. I love that it remembers that I view different BG maps through differently sized/shaped/zoomed/positioned frames.

Maybe Rythal, if he's willing, could make it an option "view all maps through World Map frame" or maybe more accurately "View all maps through frames identical to World map frame". I would never set that option, but clearly you would.

10-16-12, 11:38 AM   #69
Simulo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Then at the very least a "World Map" And a "BG Map" container should be used.

Or as you suggest an option to use separate containers, much like how you can tell Dominos if the keybinds should be character specific or not.

For those wondering, I scrapped the whole Blizzard UI and made a new UI, that is setup for all classes. With certain mods turned off (ie my Totem Manager isn't active on my Paladin).

This is great because I never have to look at my UI to see where something is on "this guy", because of "that guy" it's 'here'.

10-16-12, 11:57 AM   #70
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
Then at the very least a "World Map" And a "BG Map" container should be used.
Even reducing it to 1 main map frame and 1 BG map frame would still defeat the purpose that PVPers put it to. It seems pretty clear that the reason the developers made them all different containers is because they anticipated that people would do what Schizo and I do, namely make each battleground map a different, unique shape/size/zoom/location. Anyone who plays tons of BGs (I run a PVP guild) can tell you that Carbonite's ability to allow different setups for different BGs is one of its best features.

Or as you suggest an option to use separate containers, much like how you can tell Dominos if the keybinds should be character specific or not.

For those wondering, I scrapped the whole Blizzard UI and made a new UI, that is setup for all classes. With certain mods turned off (ie my Totem Manager isn't active on my Paladin).

This is great because I never have to look at my UI to see where something is on "this guy", because of "that guy" it's 'here'.
As long as utilizing the same map frame for all maps was an optional/toggled feature, sounds like everyone could be happy.

10-16-12, 08:21 PM   #71
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Blizzard provides three maps: the minimap, the map, and the BG map. By default, the minimap sits in the upper right corner of the screen, the map opens to cover most of the screen, and is centered. The BG map is I don't know where by default.

Carbonite replaces the map with its own map, and provides the option to dock or merge the minimap in the map.

nUI puts the minimap in the bottom middle of the screen, the carbonite map in an info panel on the bottom right of the screen (when minimized) and the BG map in another info panel in that same location. A selector button is used to switch between the minimized map and the BG map (and other options which may be available, like Skada). The shape of the BG map is the shape of the info panel (wider than it is tall). This may not be optimum for some battlegrounds, and it may be that nUI6 will provide changes or more options for the info panel, but in the meantime, I would not be happy to have half a dozen BG maps spread all over the screen, or the wrong shape for my info panel.

10-16-12, 08:49 PM   #72
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
Blizzard provides three maps: the minimap, the map, and the BG map. By default, the minimap sits in the upper right corner of the screen, the map opens to cover most of the screen, and is centered. The BG map is I don't know where by default.

Carbonite replaces the map with its own map, and provides the option to dock or merge the minimap in the map.

nUI puts the minimap in the bottom middle of the screen, the carbonite map in an info panel on the bottom right of the screen (when minimized) and the BG map in another info panel in that same location. A selector button is used to switch between the minimized map and the BG map (and other options which may be available, like Skada). The shape of the BG map is the shape of the info panel (wider than it is tall). This may not be optimum for some battlegrounds, and it may be that nUI6 will provide changes or more options for the info panel, but in the meantime, I would not be happy to have half a dozen BG maps spread all over the screen, or the wrong shape for my info panel.
I use NUI as well. I have all my BG maps re-shaped from the Carbonite map info panel. I don't have a problem with them exceeding or changing to be outside the size of the info panel. Sometimes I've even moved the BG map completely out of that section (pretty much only AV).

10-17-12, 10:19 AM   #73
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
The thing I was describing (with the map frame being different shapes/sizes/positions for different battlegrounds) is the current behavior of Carbonite. If it doesn't appear that way in nUI, then nUI is overriding it. But I'm not asking for some weird new multi-map feature, I'm just asking that Carbonite continue to work the way it always has. Simulo was asking for a different behavior, which if that was implemented as a toggle/option I think that would keep everybody happy.

10-17-12, 10:22 AM   #74
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
I use NUI as well. I have all my BG maps re-shaped from the Carbonite map info panel. I don't have a problem with them exceeding or changing to be outside the size of the info panel. Sometimes I've even moved the BG map completely out of that section (pretty much only AV).
You don't stretch out AB and EotS to see the starting rez points? I did after I realized that sometimes when I couldn't figure out WTF my team was up to, it was because they were camping or getting camped at those spots... And since random BG teams seem pathologically unable to communicate, it was good to see when that sh-t was starting to happen. ;-)

Also, my WG map is kind of a long/narrow map, since the "usable" part of the map runs up the middle.

10-17-12, 11:46 AM   #75
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
EotS I have the starting areas. For AB, if I can't seem to see everyone, I just make a small adjustment from stables. I usually can see basically up to the fence of the alliance (stables) starting point. That usually covers me if people are GY camping.

10-17-12, 12:23 PM   #76
clipper
An Aku'mai Servant
EotS I have the starting areas. For AB, if I can't seem to see everyone, I just make a small adjustment from stables. I usually can see basically up to the fence of the alliance (stables) starting point. That usually covers me if people are GY camping.
Ah, gotcha. I like seeing the rez point itself. Sometime I'm not sure this works right, but at least some of the time I can see where ghosts are waiting for the rez timer.

10-19-12, 08:01 PM   #77
Mrjones
A Kobold Labourer
Thank you Rythal for doing what you are doing! I, like everyone else here, am relieved that someone like you has taken on the burden of this monumental task and love what you have planned for it. It will be done when it's done. Like I said.....we are all just relieved that it will eventually be done. Good job!

I have a very low priority wish. That is the availability of more font choices. Is this something you can see being in the works down the road?

Again, thanks man for your work! Awesome job!

10-21-12, 12:48 AM   #78
ezarra
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No, this is bad. The ability to have the map in different places and sizes in BGs is important to anyone who PVPs much.

10-21-12, 01:18 AM   #79
nightshade00013
An Aku'mai Servant
Well, I may have a solution for the above issues. . . when carbonite first loads and has the PvP module loaded it can ask if you want to have the same map placement every time or the ability to move it. A simple check box or radio button or Yes or No button. This way either side can have what they choose.

I do have a suggestion for when development of new features begins, that would be a waypoint system kinda like TomTom does. I think this would really be a nice addition to carbonite's maps feature.

The TomTom feature I am talking about is where you can paste into chat multiple /way xx.xx xx.xx lines and have the arrow point the way to each one.

Carbonite does have a right click and goto but I have not seen or heard of a way to enter multiple waypoints at specific x y locations and this would be great when searching for the rare pandaren finds as well as rare spawn points. And my wife would love it too as she has a difficult time getting to a specific x y location on her own.

10-21-12, 03:25 AM   #80
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by nightshade00013 View Post
Well, I may have a solution for the above issues. . . when carbonite first loads and has the PvP module loaded it can ask if you want to have the same map placement every time or the ability to move it. A simple check box or radio button or Yes or No button. This way either side can have what they choose.

I do have a suggestion for when development of new features begins, that would be a waypoint system kinda like TomTom does. I think this would really be a nice addition to carbonite's maps feature.

The TomTom feature I am talking about is where you can paste into chat multiple /way xx.xx xx.xx lines and have the arrow point the way to each one.

Carbonite does have a right click and goto but I have not seen or heard of a way to enter multiple waypoints at specific x y locations and this would be great when searching for the rare pandaren finds as well as rare spawn points. And my wife would love it too as she has a difficult time getting to a specific x y location on her own.
See this post for the carbonite goto function. I believe Rythal said he was wanting to add a /way style in carbonite as well though

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Current Plans For Carbonite