07-25-18, 11:03 AM   #1
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Tooltip is constantly reseting the backdrop

I am trying to style the GameTooltip and am providing my own backdrop. On top I set my own backdrop color and backdrop border color. For items I am recoloring the border by item rarity.

When I am hovering over any item (like in the character window) that backdrop will be visible for a split second but then the backdrop changes to the default one including all color settings.

Has anyone worked with tooltips lately and has a tip on how to handle that?

Btw sometimes I am getting blueish tinted tooltip backgrounds. It mostly happens when hovering over objects like a portal. When you hover over a unit thereafter the blueish tint stays since I am only reseting the backdrop OnShow.

Any hints would be appreciated.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
07-25-18, 11:08 AM   #2
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

This is one of the main features of TipTac. You could look to see how Aezay is handling this (which had to be changed for BfA).

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
07-25-18, 11:37 AM   #3
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by zork View Post
Btw sometimes I am getting blueish tinted tooltip backgrounds. It mostly happens when hovering over objects like a portal. When you hover over a unit thereafter the blueish tint stays since I am only reseting the backdrop OnShow.
That's a Blizzard bug, that happens if you don't let the tooltip fadeout completely before hovering over something else.

You can probably do something like this to prevent it from happening:

lua Code:
  1. GameTooltip:HookScript("OnTooltipSetUnit", function() GameTooltip:SetBackdropColor(TOOLTIP_DEFAULT_BACKGROUND_COLOR.r, TOOLTIP_DEFAULT_BACKGROUND_COLOR.g, TOOLTIP_DEFAULT_BACKGROUND_COLOR.b, 1) end)

(Or with your own background colors, of course.)

Last edited by Ammako : 07-25-18 at 11:44 AM.
07-25-18, 12:09 PM   #4
Lolzen
An Aku'mai Servant

Had the same problem, i've just overwritten GAME_TOOLTIP_BACKDROP_STYLE_DEFAULT
07-25-18, 12:13 PM   #5
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Do you think overriding a default constant is a good idea? That can lead to a myriad of taints since the tooltip is used god knows where.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
07-25-18, 12:38 PM   #6
Lolzen
An Aku'mai Servant

Do you think overriding a default constant is a good idea? That can lead to a myriad of taints since the tooltip is used god knows where.
No, but hey, at least it doesn't "reset".

You could probably hook into GameTooltip_SetBackdropStyle() see here

Last edited by Lolzen : 07-25-18 at 01:39 PM.
07-25-18, 04:01 PM   #7
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Altering the GAME_TOOLTIP_BACKDROP_STYLE_DEFAULT doesn't cause any issues. You can update the functions or alter the data and it doesn't mind. Keep in mind that there's another default (GAME_TOOLTIP_BACKDROP_STYLE_AZERITE_ITEM) that gets conditionally applied if it's azerite gear.

This is what Tiptac wound up doing (see this ticket) and we've been testing it pretty heavily w/o any tainting issues.
07-25-18, 04:03 PM   #8
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thanks all.

I was able to fix my issues. Here is the commit:

https://github.com/zorker/rothui/com...a1e35a75e8fc38

I opted for not using the OnUpdate. Not using it shows sometimes a blue tinted tooltip on portals/mailbox etc which I am totally fine with. Everything else is fixed now.

07-26-18, 11:59 PM   #9
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Where did the post from nevereg go? I thought about it a bit more and I think going for the GameTooltip_SetBackdropStyle hook might be a the best approach.

We can get rid of so many other hooks and we have access to the backdrop attributes from blizzard.

You could just match style against GAME_TOOLTIP_BACKDROP_STYLE_AZERITE_ITEM and know that the style you are handling is for azerite.

alternative A
Lua Code:
  1. local azerite = style == GAME_TOOLTIP_BACKDROP_STYLE_AZERITE_ITEM or false

alternative B
Lua Code:
  1. local _, itemLink = self:GetItem()
  2. local azerite = false
  3. if itemLink and (C_AzeriteEmpoweredItem.IsAzeriteEmpoweredItemByID(itemLink) or C_AzeriteItem.IsAzeriteItemByID(itemLink)) then
  4.   azerite = true
  5. end

I am going to change my tooltip to that method. It seems convenient for what I am trying to do.

*edit* Commit hooking into SetBackdropStyle https://github.com/zorker/rothui/com...ceda45d583d2fa

Last edited by zork : 07-27-18 at 12:49 AM.
07-27-18, 02:31 AM   #10
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

*edit* Commit hooking into SetBackdropStyle https://github.com/zorker/rothui/com...ceda45d583d2fa
Isn't line 172 missing a ) at the end?
07-27-18, 03:02 AM   #11
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Totally possible. It is a dry code atm.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Tooltip is constantly reseting the backdrop