07-19-11, 11:48 PM   #1
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question on policy

Blizzard has a few stipulations regarding what is allowed and what is not in WoW. Are we not allowed to use these forums to advocate for change to, in a person's own personal opinion, indefensible policies that Blizzard maintains? Is that not allowed here in the discussion? If so then why? I'll take the rest of what I have to say in PMs once I get a public declaration regarding this policy.

Legalize WoW gold purchases directly from Blizzard! Yeah, my doctor thinks I'm crazy too. >.<

"It was either going to school for programming or working at the Genetically Modified Wildlife Preserve. I've always had a love for the wildlife, but technology won out in the end."

Note: If you know of a library that you want to make available in your own scripts. let me know and I'll see about writing a plugin for it.

LCD4WoW
07-19-11, 11:53 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158

#4 in particular, in the second post.

Also:

a) We are WoWI, not WoWUI. WoWUI is incgamers;
b) We didn't censor you. Removing your post would be censoring. We locked the thread because it violates Blizz and WoWI policy, and even more importantly, because it wasn't going anywhere good.

Last edited by Cairenn : 07-19-11 at 11:57 PM.
07-20-11, 12:12 AM   #3
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
How does that apply to me though? I admitted I broke a Blizzard rule in my post; is that how I violate? I'm not breaking a Blizzard policy by suggesting that Blizzard change the rules. I just wanted to know if this sort of discussion is truthfully a violation? "I think Blizzard should do away with the huge pain up all of our rears." I haven't broken any Blizzard policies by recommending a safer game for everyone. Your website would be under less duress from the impending hack-a-thons activated by thieves to try and corrupt addon files. Blizzard's policy harms this website's own security! Not that I deem them as neglectful or poor management of security practices. This site goes leaps beyond Curse.com in terms of dealing with hackers. Neither site should have that stressful responsibility though.

We'd all be safer if we could simply discuss bad policies that perpetuate hacking opportunities.

I think I did get the gist though. No to any discussion that has to do with TOS policies, especially if those policies are being questioned. I'll accept that as my answer and move on. I'll find another forum for my netroots advocacy.

Legalize WoW gold purchases directly from Blizzard! Yeah, my doctor thinks I'm crazy too. >.<

"It was either going to school for programming or working at the Genetically Modified Wildlife Preserve. I've always had a love for the wildlife, but technology won out in the end."

Note: If you know of a library that you want to make available in your own scripts. let me know and I'll see about writing a plugin for it.

LCD4WoW
07-20-11, 12:20 AM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Way to completely ignore some of my points.
07-20-11, 12:26 AM   #5
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I was going to send this as a PM, but it occurred to me that you feel shutting me up isn't a form of censorship. That's entirely dishonest regarding the problem in the world of censoring dissent.

I didn't ignore any of your points. I've already mentioned the WoWI error in a PM to you. Didn't think that one was too important. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not breaking any Blizzard policies, and you guys know it. If this is the angle I'll receive in trying to bring thoughtful discussion to the WoWI community, then so be it. I'll go back to being the quiet one.

LCD4WoW
07-20-11, 01:09 AM   #6
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
and even more importantly, because it wasn't going anywhere good.
We left it open for a while to see where the conversation would go. It started heading in the direction of a flame-fest, which does no one any good. It was at that point that it was locked. It wasn't 'shutting you up'. It was preventing a potentially ugly situation. After almost 10 years of running these sites, we've got a pretty good feel for when something is going to turn nasty. Would you rather we left it open so that people could start slamming each other, leading to hurt feelings and more? We wouldn't. We try very hard to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen. We try to keep our sites welcoming for everyone. I'm sorry that you feel that our locking the thread was some form of censorship. That had nothing to do with it, as I've already said.
07-20-11, 01:15 AM   #7
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
We left it open for a while to see where the conversation would go. It started heading in the direction of a flame-fest, which does no one any good. It was at that point that it was locked. It wasn't 'shutting you up'. It was preventing a potentially ugly situation. After almost 10 years of running these sites, we've got a pretty good feel for when something is going to turn nasty. Would you rather we left it open so that people could start slamming each other, leading to hurt feelings and more? We wouldn't. We try very hard to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen. We try to keep our sites welcoming for everyone. I'm sorry that you feel that our locking the thread was some form of censorship. That had nothing to do with it, as I've already said.
Now I can accept this answer! Yes, this is a controversial issue, and I'm going to see how I can best advocate a policy change on Blizzard's end. I just created the worse website devoted to spreading this message. It even looks like a gold selling site! lol (http://www.starlon.net). I just replaced my regular website with one of those "site builders." ^__^

I'm really not here to start any problems, and I do recognize that this topic is quite likely highly controversial. I've tested the waters on Trade chats at various realms, and the message isn't very popular.

That said, please accept my apology for overreacting to "censorship." You've set my mind at ease with your honest words.

LCD4WoW
07-20-11, 01:41 AM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You're welcome. No worries. I'm glad I was able to put your mind at ease.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Question on policy