10-25-10, 04:27 AM   #3861
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
Actually I do try to be innovative when it comes to UIs, and functionality is still my highest priority. I spent ages thinking how I could bring secondary power bars and other class-related things into my UI so that they're as functional as possible while still matching the style.

Sometimes I just look at my UI and think 'what could make this more functional while still being cool', and not 'how could I add moar pixel borders'.

I may have bored people to tears with my Blizz window skinning but I like to think it's original as well, in a way. The entire thing uses about 50-70kb memory and it still looks good.

10-25-10, 04:34 AM   #3862
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

You missed my point. Of course you think pixel stuff looks cool, that's because half the UI scene thinks the same thing and has been thinking it for a long while because other designers back in the day thought it was cool and it became the "norm", so to speak. The problem is that you keep thinking your UI is cool and don't try anything new; and if you don't try anything new you won't discover anything that might be "cooler" than what you already have. You stay in the old mindset of presenting information which prevents you from thinking of new and perhaps more functional ways in which that information might be presented.

10-25-10, 04:38 AM   #3863
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Even people like Led or carebear, you've been doing the same stuff in your UIs for like the past two years.
And after those 2 years I still feel like I'm one of the people that makes the most functional UI's. And I try to make am look good to yeah, cause I don't want to look at an ugly UI everytime I log in.

I talked to NiN like a few months ago for a nice raidframe idea, but I lack the skills and I doubt NiN can be bothered anyway.

Looking forward to what you will present tho.

Edit:
And still, I'm quite sure I've done quite a few things in the past 2 years.

10-25-10, 05:00 AM   #3864
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Epiphany17 View Post
Eh?

I am SO out of ideas right now. Plus, it seems everyone has taken up this style <_<

Halp? C&C? Something!
Maybe?!

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

10-25-10, 05:23 AM   #3865
neverg
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by zork View Post
Maybe?!
That looks so Windows 3 with a Lime flavour! ^^

haylie, kinda agree with you.

Well in my opinion it comes down to taste. No one can say if pixel UIs are better or worst. In MY opinion, they look kinda nice but I don't like them. Too small and minimalist for my taste. I like minimalistic, but not at the cost of readability functionality. Too minimalistic doesn't even fit the game environment in opinion. I don't use Zork UI (Roth) but I can say that that does indeed fit the game a lot more for example and it's still minimalist in the sense that it uses the less elements possible but presented in a "arty" way.

I play with this UI that works around my oUF Layout and it "fits my taste" but above all its functionality fits my gameplay.

Anyway WoW allows addons and that allows diversity. Diversity is one of the cool things about the game in terms of UI. I think that is one of the reason this website exists and most of us love addons as much (sometimes) as the game itself.

Last edited by neverg : 10-25-10 at 05:31 AM.

10-25-10, 05:53 AM   #3866
eiszeit
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

So, I'm back, too.

http://h-3.abload.de/img/wowscrnshot_101510_234nesj.jpg
- WIP, bottom not finished, fonts not final, etc. Sadly totally not functional, maybe if I put more work in it, it could be.

http://h-4.abload.de/img/wowscrnshot_102210_205gqqg.jpg
- 'nother UI. And yes I like big buffs and I cannot lie. I know, everyone has that kind of setup right now, but I play with it since ~2006, so. I still love it.

--

About the "nothing new etc pp"-subject:

And may be no new idea, yes. But I don't care, I build UIs to play with it, which *I* like, not some people who think "OH NO NEW IDEAS FFS".

But I admit, I mostly see the same UI with damn ugly pixel fonts all over again.

Originally Posted by haylie View Post
Even people like Led or carebear, you've been doing the same stuff in your UIs for like the past two years. Moving the unit frames to the left or right and adding pixel lines does not make a new UI.
Not exactly the same, I have en masse screenshots of his past UIs ... and have to admit, he changed a lot. Sometimes not to his best, but he does. The only thing he always have is the ugly pixel fonts.

Sorry for the rant, my coffee was cold this morning :-(
I still like you. ;D ... even if I have problems to get who you are/were. Never saw an UI of you.

Last edited by eiszeit : 10-25-10 at 06:06 AM.

10-25-10, 06:07 AM   #3867
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

I don't use pixelfonts because they're minimal btw. I use em because I'm used to them and I can read them just fine.

10-25-10, 06:27 AM   #3868
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
I don't use pixelfonts because they're minimal btw. I use em because I'm used to them and I can read them just fine.
This. But I don't prefer them to 'regular' fonts, or vice-versa.

10-25-10, 06:36 AM   #3869
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by eiszeit View Post
I still like you. ;D ... even if I have problems to get who you are/were. Never saw an UI of you.
You may not know me but I've been following your work and others' for a while before I got the guts to post, which I think was around the time you quit. I've used some of your old addons in my UIs, actually. You can see a couple of my UIs in my sig if you want, but I haven't uploaded all of them on wowuigallery, just the ones I considered to be "complete".

Glad to see you back, though.

http://h-4.abload.de/img/wowscrnshot_102210_205gqqg.jpg
- 'nother UI. And yes I like big buffs and I cannot lie. I know, everyone has that kind of setup right now, but I play with it since ~2006, so. I still love it.
Hm. That looks eerily similar to my last UI before I quit, though I never took the idea from you. Weird.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/a...5&d=1284071396

Edit
Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
This. But I don't prefer them to 'regular' fonts, or vice-versa.
/sigh

I get that. The problem is, people see all the 'mainstream' ui designers use pixel fonts and get the idea that that's the only thing worth using.

In the great scheme of UI design, some people design UIs (like Led, for instance) and other people copy what those few designers created (like me, I'm too lame to come up with stuff on my own). If all the designers nowadays use the same style, those that copy them use the same style too, making everybody have the same UI. Now if everybody could think for themselves and stop trying to copy what is 'fashionable', it would be a different story. Don't try to contradict me, you know that at least 3/4 of the UI scene is copying what they've seen from other people.

Last edited by haylie : 10-25-10 at 06:42 AM.

10-25-10, 06:50 AM   #3870
carebear.
Banned

I agree with you Haylie. I've been wanting to re-create one of my old favourite UIs for about 2-3 months now and get rid of the pixels.

It's not much different to what I use now. I need to find a program or a font that has no capital letters in it though which has been stopping me. Also need to find a decent border and texture but again I'm just too lazy to put it all together.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8...1209220451.jpg

If anybody could help me get a font then I'd love you forever

10-25-10, 06:59 AM   #3871
eiszeit
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Hm. That looks eerily similar to my last UI before I quit, though I never took the idea from you. Weird.
Haha, some have the same ideas.
And thanks for the welcome.

10-25-10, 07:01 AM   #3872
haylie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by carebear. View Post
I agree with you Haylie. I've been wanting to re-create one of my old favourite UIs for about 2-3 months now and get rid of the pixels.

It's not much different to what I use now. I need to find a program or a font that has no capital letters in it though which has been stopping me. Also need to find a decent border and texture but again I'm just too lazy to put it all together.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8...1209220451.jpg

If anybody could help me get a font then I'd love you forever
I *think* there's a Lua command to make text all lowercase, can't remember it though. That or use a non-capital font. Try google

10-25-10, 07:22 AM   #3873
eiszeit
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I *think* there's a Lua command to make text all lowercase, can't remember it though. That or use a non-capital font. Try google
There is, but it's pain in the ass to put it in all addons. Somewhere there is an Arial Narrow Bold version with full lowercase.

10-25-10, 07:49 AM   #3874
Saintvallen
An Aku'mai Servant
There is, but it's pain in the ass to put it in all addons. Somewhere there is an Arial Narrow Bold version with full lowercase.
Sometimes i just wish .lua files could have css files implemented. Would be much easier.

10-25-10, 07:54 AM   #3875
MakiyoIto
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
Actually it's supernatural1001.ttf or something like that. And it's PhanxChat btw.
Last question what is your statusbar texture ? Thank you!

10-25-10, 08:11 AM   #3876
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
for oUF its:

Code:
oUF.TagEvents['[lowername]'] = 'UNIT_NAME_UPDATE'
oUF.Tags['[lowername]'] = function(u)
    return string.lower(UnitName(u))
end
or so what I found. Not tested

10-25-10, 08:26 AM   #3877
Stanzilla
An Aku'mai Servant
con: not very original
pro: no pixelfonts!

http://i.imgur.com/Zr6YH.jpg

and yes I know that I have 3 indicators for shadow orbs but I was playing around with it to see what I like the most.

10-25-10, 08:28 AM   #3878
Haleth
This Space For Rent

Featured
You missed my point. Of course you think pixel stuff looks cool, that's because half the UI scene thinks the same thing and has been thinking it for a long while because other designers back in the day thought it was cool and it became the "norm", so to speak. The problem is that you keep thinking your UI is cool and don't try anything new; and if you don't try anything new you won't discover anything that might be "cooler" than what you already have. You stay in the old mindset of presenting information which prevents you from thinking of new and perhaps more functional ways in which that information might be presented.
You seem to think that everyone who has a pixelated UI does so because it's the 'norm'. This isn't the case. Most people, myself included, just have pixel UIs because we like them. I've tried tons of alternatives, but I just prefer pixel UIs.

10-25-10, 08:43 AM   #3879
carebear.
Banned

With Pixels : http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9...2310123454.jpg

Without Pixels : http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2...2510154711.jpg

I just threw it together to see what I could do going back to the previous style I linked above.

I guess it comes down to personal opinion on what looks and feels best.

Last edited by carebear. : 10-25-10 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added a more fitting screenshot

10-25-10, 09:02 AM   #3880
Led ++
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by MakiyoIto View Post
Last question what is your statusbar texture ? Thank you!
Tap2 from Tapestry.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » Screen Shots of your UI...