10-20-09, 07:30 PM   #1
lsapphire
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy updated carbonite not working at all

I kept getting the update request in WoW, so i downloaded extracted with winzip and followed the instructions in the readme exactly, to the letter. After deleting 3.2.2 i dragged to exactly where I was supposed to put the new folder. loaded up wow and nothing. checked the addons screen in game , not there. logged out went to interface addons menu , its in there. why can't the game see it? it should be in the addons list ingame but it is not. I cant imagine that disabling all the other addons would make it appear, but if that is the only other option open I will try it. at the moment I am using recount and auctioneer, thats it. the operating system is an athlonx2 @2ghz with nvidia video and 2000pro. It has been stable and reliable for a while now and carbonite 3.2.2 worked like a charm. what gives?

10-20-09, 07:55 PM   #2
Chmee
A Molten Giant
What is the complete path to your carbonite.lua file?

10-21-09, 08:33 AM   #3
lsapphire
A Murloc Raider
Is this it???

C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite-3.230\CarboniteTransfer

I hope this is what you are looking for, and I wish this program had a simple installer so I would not have to go poking around in windows risking a total meltdown, because I have no idea what I am doing in there nor any idea how to fix something if it messes up

10-21-09, 09:10 AM   #4
front243
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by lsapphire View Post
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite-3.230\CarboniteTransfer
Seems you have extracted Carbonite into its own folder based on the zip filename. I think most zip-programs have this option. What you need to do is select "extract here" or similar option that does not create a separate folder.

It should look like this:

...\Interface\Addons\Carbonite
...\Interface\Addons\CarboniteNodes
...\Interface\Addons\CarboniteTransfer

10-21-09, 09:27 AM   #5
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Just for future reference, the way to know something is slightly hinky with the folder is if the version number appears in the folder name. I've never seen any addon with the folders extracted correctly when the version number is there. Sorry for my bad english, I just got off work after starting at 3pm yesterday afternoon. I'm not feeling very grammatical right now.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

10-21-09, 10:05 AM   #6
lsapphire
A Murloc Raider
thats just wierd,

can't this be simpler? I still don't know how to fix this beyond deleting it again and trying do download it again. This is honestly a royal pain. Thanks for the reply tho, I'll try to get it to work

10-21-09, 10:08 AM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You're making it too difficult. As mentioned above, you're creating a new folder via your zip program to put the Carbonite stuff in. Use "extract to here" then drag those 3 folders into your AddOns folder.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-21-09, 01:33 PM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No idea why unzipping a file has to be so difficult.

10-21-09, 06:16 PM   #9
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Or, since what you have wrong is 3 folders inside a single folder, which latter is inside the addons folder, just drag the 3 folders out of the carbonite 3.23 (or whatever) folder and put them at the root of the addons folder, so the paths are as front specified upghread. Then just delete the empty carbonite 3.23 folder.

10-21-09, 06:38 PM   #10
lsapphire
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
You're making it too difficult. As mentioned above, you're creating a new folder via your zip program to put the Carbonite stuff in. Use "extract to here" then drag those 3 folders into your AddOns folder.
just so you know, i went all over winzip and there was never an "extract to here" anywhere. this is a new one winzip 14, and i always use auto extract because the classic is insane, ... I don't have a clue in hades what all that crap is also there are something like 5 items in that folder, yet all i need are the 3 folders, dropped into the addons root, right? this is starting to give me a headache.
nevermind but thx for trying I do appreciate it

10-22-09, 08:50 AM   #11
DaYeti
A Defias Bandit
So ya im right in the same boat with Saph. on 3 different computers im getting "your version of carbonite is outa date" well on all 3 computers ive tryed updateing and i keep getting the same problem. its starting to drive me nuts cause half the time the quests i have dont even show up on the map or i jsut get a black mini map

10-22-09, 08:31 PM   #12
jaymcb
A Kobold Labourer
I updated last night and have it all installed in the right folders and am not getting it to work. I am wishing i had left the older version installed

10-22-09, 08:33 PM   #13
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by DaYeti View Post
So ya im right in the same boat with Saph. on 3 different computers im getting "your version of carbonite is outa date" well on all 3 computers ive tryed updateing and i keep getting the same problem. its starting to drive me nuts cause half the time the quests i have dont even show up on the map or i jsut get a black mini map
Originally Posted by jaymcb View Post
I updated last night and have it all installed in the right folders and am not getting it to work. I am wishing i had left the older version installed
What operating systems do you have and also what is the full Path to Carbonite.toc?

10-22-09, 09:34 PM   #14
magicsqurill
A Kobold Labourer
I seem to be having a similar problem. I'm one of the many that ran out and bought windows 7 today and after upgrading I cant get carbonite to run. IDK if it's something to do with win 7 or not but I've installed carbonite many times... enough to know how to do it right. When I log in to WoW and click on the addons button on the character selection screen carbonite isn't even on the list, but all of my other add ons are. The complete path to my "carbonite.toc" file is "C:\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\Carbonite.toc"

If anyone has and suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

10-22-09, 09:40 PM   #15
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
This is a text version of what Petrah was basically saying.

1) Download Carbonite HERE

2) When asked SAVE it to your desktop.

3) Open your WoW interface/addon directory. Need help finding it read steps below.

4) OPEN the Carbonite-3.230.zip file you save to your desktop. No matter what program you use (Winzip, Winrar or Windows built in zipper) the opened file will basically look the same. It will contain 3 folders (Carbonite, CarboniteNodes and CarboniteTransfer) and 2 text files (CardoniteLicenseAgreement and CarboniteReadMe)

5) Select the 3 folders and DRAG them to a blank space in your WoW addons folder. If you already had Carbonite installed OVERWRITE any folders and files when asked.

6)Exit WoW if it was running and restart. Make sure it is checked off in the addons screen in WoW. The addons screen is selectable at the character select screen in the lower left corner.

That should be all .. it's not really that difficult

Finding your Addons folder

For Windows 7 (and I believe Vista as well) :

- Right-Click the WoW shortcut on your desktop and select "Open File Location".
- Open the Interface folder
- Open your addons folder
- Follow above instructions

For any Windows OS :
- Right-Click the WoW shortcut on your desktop and select "Properties".
- Under the "Start in:" box is the location of your WoW directory.
- Once there open the "Interface" folder
- Open the "Addons" folder.

Hopefully this helps a few people.

10-22-09, 09:43 PM   #16
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by magicsqurill View Post
I seem to be having a similar problem. I'm one of the many that ran out and bought windows 7 today and after upgrading I cant get carbonite to run. IDK if it's something to do with win 7 or not but I've installed carbonite many times... enough to know how to do it right. When I log in to WoW and click on the addons button on the character selection screen carbonite isn't even on the list, but all of my other add ons are. The complete path to my "carbonite.toc" file is "C:\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\Carbonite.toc"

If anyone has and suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
Not to sure. Been running Win7 a few months now and WoW works just fine as well as Carbonite.

Double check that you have the right directory. Be the only thing I can think of as to why it may not work.

R-Click the WoW icon on your desktop and select "Open File Location" This will open the correct directory. Install carbonite to the interface/addon folder there.

10-23-09, 12:07 PM   #17
DaYeti
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
This is a text version of what Petrah was basically saying.

1) Download Carbonite HERE

2) When asked SAVE it to your desktop.

3) Open your WoW interface/addon directory. Need help finding it read steps below.

4) OPEN the Carbonite-3.230.zip file you save to your desktop. No matter what program you use (Winzip, Winrar or Windows built in zipper) the opened file will basically look the same. It will contain 3 folders (Carbonite, CarboniteNodes and CarboniteTransfer) and 2 text files (CardoniteLicenseAgreement and CarboniteReadMe)

5) Select the 3 folders and DRAG them to a blank space in your WoW addons folder. If you already had Carbonite installed OVERWRITE any folders and files when asked.

6)Exit WoW if it was running and restart. Make sure it is checked off in the addons screen in WoW. The addons screen is selectable at the character select screen in the lower left corner.

That should be all .. it's not really that difficult

Finding your Addons folder

For Windows 7 (and I believe Vista as well) :

- Right-Click the WoW shortcut on your desktop and select "Open File Location".
- Open the Interface folder
- Open your addons folder

For any Windows OS :
- Right-Click the WoW shortcut on your desktop and select "Properties".
- Under the "Start in:" box is the location of your WoW directory.
- Once there open the "Interface" folder
- Open the "Addons" folder.

Hopefully this helps a few people.
When you post like that its pretty damn ignorant. we know how to install it. ive removed it and reinstalled and it still tells me it out of date. its not that i dont know how to locate the file. by remvoing it and reinstalling means that its working but not giving me the right version.

10-23-09, 12:31 PM   #18
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

When you post like that its pretty damn ignorant. we know how to install it. ive removed it and reinstalled and it still tells me it out of date. its not that i dont know how to locate the file. by remvoing it and reinstalling means that its working but not giving me the right version.
I'll bet he's posting like that to make sure that you have it installed properly. That's part of the steps needed to diagnose exactly what is going wrong where.

You stated in an earlier post also that you've reinstalled several times and yet you still get the out of date message. If this is the case then you are likely not installing it correctly. I have the latest version (3.23 from http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Carbonite.html ) installed correctly myself and no longer see the out of date message and have had no issues regarding questing etc.

10-23-09, 04:55 PM   #19
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I'll try to be nice here

1) DO NOT come here asking for help and when someone posts help flame them .. that's not really that nice and is a good way to get ignored.

2) I HAVE no idea what you (or anyone else for that matter ) technical knowledge is or what you know. I posted ALL steps that can help not ONLY you but everyone else in the same boat.

3) This help has helped MANY people in the past.

99.9% of the time when an addon is NOT updating it is because the user is not doing something right. USUALLY this is because of 2 things bad extraction path from the .zip file or incorrect directories. My steps where are to HELP prevent any type of user errors.

My step to locate the directory your addon folder was in was because a large amount of people do not realize that the default install directory on Vista is changed during one of the updates. MANY times the problem of an addon not updating is because the user is going to the OLD directory that they thought WoW was installed in but IN FACT is no longer correct. My steps help insure that you are getting the CORRCT place to place addons.

Are you running Vista?
If so a recent patch asked if it could move the game to prevent Vista from allowing WoW to update properly. Did you allow this?
If so the new location is "C:\Users\Games\World of Warcraft"

Another thing to try. Try removing the version you have then run WoW. Does it still show in the Addons Window on the character select screen? If so you have the wrong directory.

Next time I suggest refraining from flaming someone trying to help. If the help was not for you or you already tried that than say so don't be ignorant yourself. Maybe something else is wrong and we can try to help you better. One thing you will learn is that the people here a generally VERY helpful and always willing to help in any way they can.

Last edited by Sepioth : 10-23-09 at 09:45 PM.

10-24-09, 05:25 AM   #20
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

^What he said^

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » updated carbonite not working at all