05-07-10, 09:49 AM   #1
Mortilus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Minion overwrote my addon ... any way to revert?

Hello

I just downloaded and installed Minion, and ran it for the first time, and it overwrote my local (WIP, v53) version of my addon BuffWatcher with an older one (v52).

Is there ANY way to get my better version back? I had just made some major changes to how BW worked, and I really don't want to have to do all that work all over again ...

Please help!

~Ryan

edit: The toc files were updated to 53 properly, so minion could have recognized that my version was "better"

Last edited by Mortilus : 05-07-10 at 10:00 AM.
05-07-10, 09:59 AM   #2
Chibi
A Cyclonian

Probably not, since you can't recover from an overwrite like you can a mis-deleted file. This is why there's the big disclaimer in more than one place to backup your interface and wtf folders before you run minion.
05-07-10, 10:03 AM   #3
Mortilus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
sigh, that's what i was afraid of

This is so upsetting ...

Might i make a suggestion then? Have minion make sure the addon is a lower version before updating
05-07-10, 10:11 AM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Even without minion it is always a good idea to manually back up your own addons. Who knows when a change messes up the whole thing and you need to roll back to when it last worked.

During an update process I could have as many as 20 versions of my addon around at various stages to fall back to when a new change breaks it. I learnt this the hard way when I wrote a 300 line program once years ago and the power went and I lost everything. This is your hard learning to keep backups of your own.

It's a sad thing and there have been several times in the last few months when I have forgotten to take a good back up and had to start afresh. I am sure you're not the only addon writer to have had this type of problem.
05-07-10, 10:20 AM   #5
Mortilus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
aha, i see now also ... if i had just backed up BuffWatcher then I can tell minion to ignore it, and never have this problem again

fml
05-07-10, 01:45 PM   #6
cloudwolf
A Black Drake
Also to answer your question about minion being able to tell that that its older. It pretty much can't. Even if you say look for numbers being larger than another set. What do you do when the versions are b1.5 (beta 1.5)or r1 (release 1) or how ever the author decides to name and increment the addon versions.
05-08-10, 12:18 PM   #7
Mortilus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
good point ...
05-08-10, 12:30 PM   #8
Manaman
An Aku'mai Servant
It seems the curse client does a pretty good job of telling that a mod has been modified and it can also compare dates to determine newness. Maybe the Minion needs to take some pointers from Curse?
05-08-10, 08:08 PM   #9
Mortilus
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Manaman View Post
It seems the curse client does a pretty good job of telling that a mod has been modified and it can also compare dates to determine newness. Maybe the Minion needs to take some pointers from Curse?
eh, it was more my fault than minion's ... i forget that BW is kept in an open folder, and that things don't do what i think them to do, they do what they're told to do.

I should have backed up BW before running minion, it just never occured to me that minion would mess with it

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » Minion overwrote my addon ... any way to revert?