06-28-07, 05:50 PM   #1
orion61269
A Defias Bandit
EQ vs. WoW

Hi all, just a simple question--but first some background.

Been playing EQ for 5 or 6 years, left it a few times started over and currently have an inactive account with lvl 75 toons on it. Basically I got tired of it and wanted a change. Did the WoW trial thing and the game is actually alot better than everyone says it is. (Everyone being the eq folks) Now I have a predicament, go back to the game im comfortable in, know the people and places have gear and $$, or start over in an entire new realm? A huge issue? No. I wish that was my biggest problem, just a simple question for all the Wow people and hopefully some of the peeps that have played both.

Thanks for all the input..
06-28-07, 06:43 PM   #2
ThornyJohn
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Played EQ from 1999-2004 and WoW since closed beta. I can't say a lot bad about EQ because it was what started the whole thing. It just got old and I found myself able to do less and less either alone or duoing.

From the perspective of someone who wasn't in a huge power guild in EQ that did all the big dungeons every night, WoW was a breath of fresh air, very solo-friendly, and the quests actually gave you a lot of experience and reasonably nice gear. It requires very little from your machine, tech-wise, and it has a wonderful UI community (not unlike EQ's, but I think a lot more developed).

At this point for me, having played WoW almost three years (including beta), I could not go back to EQ. The only black mark in my book with WoW is in the way it carries out its open/world PvP. If I was to start over again, I'd do it on a PvE server, because those still give you all the battleground and arena (read: controlled environment) action while keeping you safe from the gankers.

______
Thorny

P.S.: 8+ million people probably aren't wrong.

Last edited by ThornyJohn : 06-28-07 at 06:48 PM.
06-28-07, 06:57 PM   #3
Saiiyna
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I played EQ for 2 years and loved the game but could never get a character above 55 or so. Got tough finding groups and unfortunately most of my guild was 12 hours off in time zone. ( My own fault) Started playing WoW in Beta after trying EQ2 (which stank). I got 4 toons to 60 before the expansion came out could solo at all levels and made great new friends here. I say stick with WoW I could never go back.

Saii
06-28-07, 07:43 PM   #4
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I can't speak for EQ as I've never played it, I spent my days before WoW playing MUDs (yeah yeah...I know). I jumped from the text market into the graphical market through Guild Wars, free online play so it was a draw. Until I got invited to play WoW by a former MUD friend who already played. Dropped the $250 for myself and my wife to get an account and a time card each. Since then (2 months after release) we haven't looked back.

We've thought about quitting, contemplated going to other games like EQ, Lineage or LoTRO but never could follow through after being so used to WoW and the universe. We have numerous characters on numerous realms and start over on a regular basis just to become anonymous. It doesn't take long to accumulate a bit of wealth or find a good group of people to get involved with.

Sometimes you have to leave your comfort zone and move on as my wife and I did with our MUDding, but we're glad we did and look forward to many more days of Warcraft and the Warcraft universe.

- Griss.
06-28-07, 09:35 PM   #5
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I played EQ for a while..a very,very short while. I quit because I didn't like the running system. I played some test MMO's for a while, the I played Warcraft 1, 2, 3, and it's expansion. But then I found WoW and now I'm sticking with it.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-28-07, 10:55 PM   #6
Neuro
A Theradrim Guardian

The best way I can describe it is this way:

World of Warcraft is Everquest done *right*.

It retains most of what made EQ good, and abandoned or improved the flaws. If you were wanting to get back in, I would highly recommend World of Warcraft over EQ.
06-28-07, 11:20 PM   #7
depotstu
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I came here from Lineage 2 myself...it stank. Same computer for both games...L2 = Lag City, money system is crap (I could not make enough money to get by) killing something a level over you takes health pots...peroid, and it takes a lifetime to level. WoW = I can't remember what little lag I have ever had to deal with, with the profession system and the auction house you can actually support your self in game (its not hard to make enough to help out you alts either) my Lvl 49 Hunter was solo killing 53 Elite dragon kin in the burning steppes today with out using any pots(I don't think I could do that with any other class, I just know Hunters very very well), and thanks to the rested system leveling just takes a couple days at the higher levels...a level every 3 or 4 days is not unexpected with just 4 or so hours a day playing and spending plenty of time in the cities.

06-29-07, 01:36 AM   #8
Vayder
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I played EQ for a very long time 4 years i think, and ive been playing wow since release. all i can say is this. if you LIKE a challenging game like EQ and you get bored with somthing that may seem comparibly easy, then dont come to WoW. Now im not saying that WoW is all easy, but i will say it is very easy to level to 70. if you were a hardcore EQ player then consider this. in the time it takes you to level to 75 in EQ. you will most likely have 3 lvl 70's in wow. the big difference in these games is the awesomeness of the quest system in WoW, the nice tradeskill system, and the difficulty of the higher end dungeons, learning the fights and individual strats for each class. i missed EQ when i first started playing wow. i even went back to it for a short time. wow seemed to "cartoonish" to me. but after playing wow then reverting back to EQ i realized that wow had a fun aspect to it that EQ no longer had for me. in EQ if you cant find a group your pretty well screwed and youll spend most of your time sitting around LFG. in wow if you cant find a group you can simply go out and solo and do quests. granted there is some high end content that alot of players will never see IE the black temple, serpent shrine, etc... but that does not take much away from the game. at lvl 70 there is still TONS of stuff to do. I know im probably going to get flamed for this by all of the dedicated wow players who either never played EQ or sucked at it terribly, But EQ is more challenging of a game then wow. but it also in my eyes becomes a repetative grind. and anyone who has ever played EQ, i mean really really played it will know that i speak the truth. wow on the other hand is always having new content added to it by blizz to keep the game fresh. so there you go, thats the best way i can compare the 2 games, the choice is yours friend. i left EQ along time ago and i truely enjoy wow and have enjoyed it very much since it was released.

Vayder lvl 70 mage Doomhammer - WoW
Previously Drevok lvl 70 paladin Mithanial Marr - EQ
06-29-07, 02:20 AM   #9
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Played Eq for a few years even had the opportunity to do full time raiding. I left because i felt at a certain point that was all the game had to offer with new releases. Bounced around the MMO world seeing what was out there. IN the end WOW ended up being my game of choice for many reasons.

I feel the quest/tradeskill system is far superior. The variety the skill tree offers is nice. You dont become solely your gear like you did in eq. There is a good amount of endgame content if thats your thing, though the game has plenty to offer even if its not. All classes can actually solo (obviously some better then others in efficiency) and all the classes (all kidding aside from the players) Can bring something to the table. AKA class balance i feel is better on the wow side of things.

Then there is ofcourse the travel system. You dont have to rely on players to feel inclined by either whim or cash offers to get anywhere in a reasonable time.

All things considered a previous poster said it best. WOW took a page form EQ and did it right. EQ has created the stage for the MMO's so i give it much credit and i loved it for my time there, though the almost unavoidable need to be in a raiding guild which were hard to get in to even the lowest lvl ones at times (a rant for another thread) eventually killed it for me.

You'll love wow. =)

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
06-29-07, 06:15 AM   #10
Hellarion
A Black Drake

I played EQ for a bit and WoW for a while now...plus many other mmos. i'd say its the little things that keep me playing wow instead of eq or gw. anything from a better 3rd person pov or the ability to jump in wow are a few. WoW is just a much more user friendly game imo but doesn't stay as repetitive for the most part. Only problem i have if wow is nowadays if you can't devote 40+ hrs a week to the game your not goin to get far. at first wow was nice for everyone hardcore or casual player but now in bc i feel blizz gave the casual player a lil boot to the face. but it can still be pretty fun just soloing or if your on a pvp server u can run around and make everyone hate you lol....
06-29-07, 07:22 AM   #11
RogueShadow
A Fallenroot Satyr
I played EverQuest for a while, Ever since I heard of it I was in shock and awe, and that's how it went when I was finally able to get it. I really love my memories of EQ, and nobody could ever take those away. But I could never go back, It's like a different game now, like some evil mutant of a game with features flying everywhere.

I played some others, like FFXI and DAoC. Even EQII (but it was really slow on my pc) But when I started playing WoW It just stuck. It made me feel useful as a player. Graphically not so intense, but consistent enough to be pretty.
06-29-07, 09:24 PM   #12
orion61269
A Defias Bandit
Wow, thank you all for the very informative posts. Just from what ive read here the decision seems easy..... I went out and bought a copy and am having loads of fun. Just wish there was a runspeed buff like in eq lol (spirit of wolf). Thanks again, I hope the world is as friendly as you all are. Will give it a go--so far so good.......
06-29-07, 09:35 PM   #13
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Yeah id have to say having a spirit of the wolf type buff would be handy, but the mounts at 40 more then make up for it =)

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
06-30-07, 01:19 AM   #14
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by orion61269
Wow, thank you all for the very informative posts. Just from what ive read here the decision seems easy..... I went out and bought a copy and am having loads of fun. Just wish there was a runspeed buff like in eq lol (spirit of wolf). Thanks again, I hope the world is as friendly as you all are. Will give it a go--so far so good.......
Some classes do get a run speed buff (usually around level 20 to 30)

Druid: Travel Form (Level 30)
Hunter: Aspect of the Cheetah (self)/Aspect of the Pack (party)
Shaman: Spirit Wolf (Level 30)
Mage: Blink

Then of course at Level 40 you get your first mount, level 60 for your epic mount.
06-30-07, 02:54 AM   #15
Laslo
Premium Member
Premium Member
I played EQ for a very long time 4 years i think, and ive been playing wow since release. all i can say is this. if you LIKE a challenging game like EQ and you get bored with somthing that may seem comparibly easy, then dont come to WoW. Now im not saying that WoW is all easy, but i will say it is very easy to level to 70. if you were a hardcore EQ player then consider this. in the time it takes you to level to 75 in EQ. you will most likely have 3 lvl 70's in wow. the big difference in these games is the awesomeness of the quest system in WoW, the nice tradeskill system, and the difficulty of the higher end dungeons, learning the fights and individual strats for each class. i missed EQ when i first started playing wow. i even went back to it for a short time. wow seemed to "cartoonish" to me. but after playing wow then reverting back to EQ i realized that wow had a fun aspect to it that EQ no longer had for me. in EQ if you cant find a group your pretty well screwed and youll spend most of your time sitting around LFG. in wow if you cant find a group you can simply go out and solo and do quests. granted there is some high end content that alot of players will never see IE the black temple, serpent shrine, etc... but that does not take much away from the game. at lvl 70 there is still TONS of stuff to do. I know im probably going to get flamed for this by all of the dedicated wow players who either never played EQ or sucked at it terribly, But EQ is more challenging of a game then wow. but it also in my eyes becomes a repetative grind. and anyone who has ever played EQ, i mean really really played it will know that i speak the truth. wow on the other hand is always having new content added to it by blizz to keep the game fresh. so there you go, thats the best way i can compare the 2 games, the choice is yours friend. i left EQ along time ago and i truely enjoy wow and have enjoyed it very much since it was released.

Vayder lvl 70 mage Doomhammer - WoW
Previously Drevok lvl 70 paladin Mithanial Marr - EQ
Could not have said it better. I raided full time in EQ up until Omens of War came out.

WoW is a much better made game in most respects, but there is one bad thing. Everyone and their mother plays this game. EQ was for nerds and nerds only (admit it, you know I'm right.) There is a serious maturity issue in wow that didn't exist in EQ. WoW to me is kind of like what AOL did to the internet a long time ago. It dumbs it down to the point where everyone can do it, so everyone is. But, you take the good with the bad, and if that's something that won't bother you, then go nuts. This game is great. Too bad the people get in the way of it sometimes, at least for me.

Please keep the "zomg don't play an mmo if you don't want the people!!oneone11!" posts to a minimum.

"This job would be great if it wasn't for the fu$%ing customers." - Clerks
06-30-07, 04:46 AM   #16
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by NeuroMedivh
The best way I can describe it is this way:

World of Warcraft is Everquest done *right*.

It retains most of what made EQ good, and abandoned or improved the flaws. If you were wanting to get back in, I would highly recommend World of Warcraft over EQ.
WoW is EQ-lite.

WoW is far too easy, IMO.

Don't get me wrong. It's a good game...but far too easy.

Better than EQ? Yup. Better than other games out there? Meh...Hopefully some of the up and coming MMOs will be better and offer a bit more of a challenge.

Marth

06-30-07, 08:30 AM   #17
Errowynn
A Kobold Labourer
I played EQ from beta until late 2005 (6 1/2 years) before I quit. There were many reasons for leaving, the biggest I suppose was that my guildmates started leaving EQ for the greener pastures of WoW and EQ2. I was not in a power guild and to me EQ began a downhill slide for us when Planes of Power came out. There were so many zones that had level requirements that it began to divide the guild into groups and we really never recovered from that. LDoN expansion helped a bit because we could do expansion raids as a guild, but really by then most people were tiring of EQ and the constant need to revamp their computers with each subsequent expansion.

I've been playing WoW for about a month and a half. I started with a 2-week trial disk and found that I really enjoyed it. It is easy to solo and if you only have 45 minutes to play you can find things to do in a short amount of time. I also like the way trades skills work in that it doesn't take months of real time trying to level up your skill before you can craft useful items. Maybe the only drawback for WoW is that the enviroment is a bit cartoonish after EQ. EQ was the first widely played MMORPG and they put a lot into making the environment and characters look as real as possible. I know WoW sprang from the Warcraft series of games and the look basically carried foward.

Basically you have to do what will make you the happiest. One thing is certain, you can suspend your EQ account and try WoW for a few months and go back to EQ if you really don't like it. It doesn't matter how long you are gone from EQ, your characters will be just as you left then regardless of how long you are gone. I could go back today and pick right up with my lvl 65 Shadowknight if I had that desire.

Have some fun and give WoW a chance, I think you'll be happy you did.
06-30-07, 01:11 PM   #18
krosh
A Kobold Labourer
I also played EQ for over 5 years and I think the main differance between EQ and WoW is, EQ is not for the casual player, were as in WoW there is still a lot for peple to do that dont have a lot of time or a large guild.

One thing that surprises me reading the answers here is some people saying EQ has nothing new for its players, for me a game that has had 14 expansions
(Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Velious, Shadows of Luchin, Planes of Power, Legacy of Ykesha, Lost Dungeons of Norreth, Gates of Discord, Omens of War, Dragons of Norreth, Depths of Darkhollow, Prophecy of Ro, Serpents Spine, Buried Sea and Secrets of Faydwer), Thats 100s of new zones/instances/dungeons, 1000's of new weapons/armour, 4 new races (Iksar, Vah Shir Frogloks and Drakkin), the level cap been raised 3 times just to name a few things, to say that its brought nothing new to the table for its playes is being damn ignorant. Now grant you those expansions are not for a casual player, but I we all agree that EQ is not for your casual player.

I myself have settled into WoW and dont think I could ever go back to EQ, I will always have a soft spot in my heart for EQ but there is now a space in my heart for WOW as well.

Last edited by krosh : 06-30-07 at 02:05 PM.
06-30-07, 01:14 PM   #19
kasca
A Frostmaul Preserver
Smile

Hello,
I played EQ for 7yrs. Then moved to wow. The big differance for me is you can play. You dont need find a group to do everything after 10. Ya it easy and fast (with most chars) to get to 70. But to go any of the large instaces it still a group,that cool. The down side is alot the rep you need to do some things is a pain to get. Epic anything seems to be set for kids who can play mega hours to grind gold and fraction.

But all in all i like wow better eq becase i can play a few minutes or several hours and still get somewhere.
Kasca
06-30-07, 01:27 PM   #20
RogueShadow
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by kasca
Hello,
I played EQ for 7yrs. Then moved to wow. The big differance for me is you can play. You dont need find a group to do everything after 10. Ya it easy and fast (with most chars) to get to 70. But to go any of the large instaces it still a group,that cool. The down side is alot the rep you need to do some things is a pain to get. Epic anything seems to be set for kids who can play mega hours to grind gold and fraction.

But all in all i like wow better eq becase i can play a few minutes or several hours and still get somewhere.
Kasca
Amen to that.

I should also mention my first month in EQ I got to lvl 8, and every second was glorious. When I first played EQ and didn't know crap about MMORPG's.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » EQ vs. WoW