06-19-10, 08:43 PM   #1
JokeyRhyme
A Murloc Raider

[linux][v2.3.2] Options menu item fails

Me again (please don't hate me). Having trouble with the Options menu item. Nothing happens when I click it. Minion's log has some weird permissions problems as a result of the click.

This isn't a show-stopper. Even though the log doesn't show it (because when I captured it my "AddOns" folder was actually named "Addons"), Minion is working terrifically in every other way.

uname -a
Code:
Linux 2.6.32-gentoo-r7 #3
SMP x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
java -version
Code:
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)
Attached Files
File Type: txt log.txt (16.7 KB, 897 views)
File Type: zip java.log.zip (30.8 KB, 880 views)
06-20-10, 11:09 PM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thanks for the report.

What's going on here is that the SecurityManager is denying a permission it should not be denying.

The Minion SecurityManager is a tool that hooks into the Java Virtual Machine (in a manner specified by Sun) to provide security. This security manager blocks operations from modules which they should not be allowed to do (such as access strange sites, execute `rm -rf /`, etc.).

What's going on is the SecurityManager is detecting a permission which it does not know about (and is not specified by Sun, so this is a vendor-specific feature -- not unheard of, Apple has a ton of them). Because it doesn't know what the permission is, it defaults to denying it in an effort to protect you.

If you're curious, the relevant part of the log was as follows:

Code:
SWW> 06-20-10 12:25:00.131 - Security check failed: java.lang.SecurityException: Unknown permission request: (java.awt.AWTPermission watchMousePointer) / watchMousePointer
                             com.mmoui.manager.MinionSecurityManager.checkPermission(MinionSecurityManager.java:561)
SNN> 06-20-10 12:25:00.132 - For permission: (java.awt.AWTPermission watchMousePointer)
                             com.mmoui.manager.MinionSecurityManager.checkPermission(MinionSecurityManager.java:562)
!!!> 06-20-10 12:25:00.132 - Unknown permission request: (java.awt.AWTPermission watchMousePointer) / watchMousePointer
                             com.mmoui.manager.MinionSecurityManager.checkAWTPermission(MinionSecurityManager.java:259)
****************************************************************************************************
java.lang.SecurityException: Unknown permission request: (java.awt.AWTPermission watchMousePointer) / watchMousePointer
	at com.mmoui.manager.MinionSecurityManager.checkAWTPermission(MinionSecurityManager.java:259)
In fact, if you have trouble in the future, searching for the tag "!!!" may help you find issues. Any exceptions which caused a thread to be killed will be tagged with this. Another good indicator is "WW" which indicates warnings (you will see it was the first line I copied above, as that was the first indicator of the problem).

Anyway, this will need a patch. I can write up a quick one for it and push it out soon. However, I need some info from you so I can look to see if there might be any other issues.

Can you execute the following and tell me what the results are?
  • java --version
  • uname -a

Also (if uname -a doesn't specify), what distribution and version are you running on?

Thanks for your patience,
-- Shirik

EDIT: Never mind the distro question, I see that the log captured that you're on gentoo. Also, you win 2 points for being on a good distro.
EDIT2: Never mind the uname -a or java --version, I see they were in your other post.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Last edited by Shirik : 06-20-10 at 11:22 PM.
09-05-10, 01:03 PM   #3
Sacredox
A Defias Bandit

Hi,

I am having this is exact same problem (using Fedora 13 though). I suspect maybe you have patched it because I noticed there is an updated core 2.3.2 available (mine is at 2.3.1) but I cannot update to them without an error occuring when it tries to restart minion. Is there a way I can manually download the updates? How come they aren't included in the installer download from the website by default? Maybe I am doing something terribly wrong. If you need more info just let me know and Ill be glad to help out any way I can.

Edit: Sorry, I actually figured out the update thing. But still cannot get to the Options menu.

Last edited by Sacredox : 09-05-10 at 01:11 PM.
10-13-10, 11:30 AM   #4
Hallithron
A Fallenroot Satyr

Exclamation

I'm getting the same issue. I've worked around it so far by editing config.xml manually, but that's hardly ideal.

Code:
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)
Code:
$ uname -a
Linux saya 2.6.34-gentoo-r11 #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 12 09:31:51 PDT 2010 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
Let me know how else I can help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip log.zip (30.7 KB, 793 views)
10-29-10, 08:34 AM   #5
Arin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Sacredox View Post
Edit: Sorry, I actually figured out the update thing. But still cannot get to the Options menu.
Just installed Minion today, how did you get around the update issue?
10-29-10, 09:32 AM   #6
Sacredox
A Defias Bandit

I believe the update issue is resolved by typing in the command line "java -jar minion.jar" rather than double clicking the file. More info is in this thread http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25123
10-29-10, 11:03 AM   #7
Arin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Yep, started the jar from the CLI, worked.

Thanks
11-28-10, 06:39 PM   #8
Hallithron
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Sacredox View Post
I believe the update issue is resolved by typing in the command line "java -jar minion.jar" rather than double clicking the file. More info is in this thread http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25123
Is there a version more recent than 2.3.2 for which this is true? I always only run the program via

Code:
$ java -jar minion.jar
and I haven't been able to use my options window in months. There is no "javaw" executable in my system, and since I'm using Sun's JRE I don't think that's abnormal. My system details are in my post above (1.6.0_22, Linux x64).

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Minion » Archive » [linux][v2.3.2] Options menu item fails