Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
11-02-14, 12:23 PM   #10
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Designadrug View Post
Rythal you are a fscking legend.

I have been programming for 31 years and have taken multiple products to market. You are a better person than I by long way; I couldn't conceive of taking-on the pressures of a project as big as Carbonite in my spare time.

For all the people who offer programming help, Rythal has politely declined many times. And the reason is one that can be hard to explain or understand if you have ever tried to code one project with multiple programmers. It is such a famous problem that books have been written about it. The most well known is "The Mythical Man-Week".

Basically the problem is project coordination. The more people there are on a project, the more time they spend coordinating instead of actually working at the coal-face. If the code is modular, this 'interference' can be reduced by coordinating how the modules will talk to each other, then going about writing the bits you 'own'. However, I get the impression that Carbonite was what we in the know call "monolithic" in that it was one enormous non-modular codebase. And that, is probably why he doesn't want other people working on it - controlling which changes get put in and when is a nightmare in a professional environment; on a hobby project I can imagine it could be fatal.
It is actually very modular now, and if I had svn or git setup I'd be more then happy for the help in cutting out the bugs. It's been mostly offers of data entry, or finding numbers, or search and replaces which while yes those things will be needed when it's time to add the WoD continent, right now with the back end work those won't help. I do need to stop being ADHD with the code tho and get the major things working instead of getting side tracked by smaller things like guide icons or instance points... I sit down planning to redo the battlegrounds, take one look at the map and current debug messages I have setup and get yanked into the other parts.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » WOD/Pre-patch