02-14-17, 02:06 AM   #1
thethispointer
A Murloc Raider

Question Where should I start with UIs?

Hello all!

I used to play in vanilla WoW, like right when blood elves came onto the scene. I quit, and now picked it up with legion.

Wow, WoW is crazy now. I am watching a youtube video. https://youtu.be/zW4XhlHGBzo?t=18s and he says LUI is a good interface.

Well, I have no clue what's what. I have no idea how to avoid viruses. I feel guilty moving away from the main interface.

Please help!

Thank you!
02-14-17, 06:35 AM   #2
candrid
Premium Member

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by thethispointer View Post
Hello all!

I used to play in vanilla WoW, like right when blood elves came onto the scene. I quit, and now picked it up with legion.

Wow, WoW is crazy now. I am watching a youtube video. https://youtu.be/zW4XhlHGBzo?t=18s and he says LUI is a good interface.

Well, I have no clue what's what. I have no idea how to avoid viruses. I feel guilty moving away from the main interface.

Please help!

Thank you!
LUI is a good interface. I'm 99% sure files that are uploaded to WoWUI (here) are checked for malicious code. So do not worry too much. These files you can read with a text editor.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
02-14-17, 06:59 AM   #3
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

WoWI, Curse, and WoWAce are among the most reputable addon sites out there and manually check for malicious code. Each site has a search function you can use to find any addon you know the name for. If you don't know the name, each one has vast communities you can post in and get answers.
02-14-17, 07:43 AM   #4
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Generally, its impossible to get a virus using a normal WoW AddOn. The nature of WoW isolates AddOns so the most damage they can do is eat an excessive amount of RAM and CPU cycles however even that is not a much of an issue unless you are running WoW on a marginal machine. The main way you would get malware related to WoW is if you run some kind of executable code (WoW AddOns should not contain executable code otherwise they get rejected by the mainstream UI sites) downloaded from some dodgy site or via a site taking advantage of unpatched exploits in your browser, Flash player or JRE (Java). Those are mostly avoidable by keeping your system updated and fully patched.

WoWInterface and the Curse family of sites (Curse and WoWAce) are quite vigilant when comes to keeping nasties out of their system. TukUI (home of TukUI and ElvUI) also keep their sites cleaned up as well

As far as good UIs to start with, LUI is a good choice, same thing with RealUI. TukUI and ElvUI are quite popular as well with many UIs using either of those two as a base.
02-14-17, 12:48 PM   #5
thethispointer
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by candrid View Post
LUI is a good interface. I'm 99% sure files that are uploaded to WoWUI (here) are checked for malicious code. So do not worry too much. These files you can read with a text editor.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
WoWI, Curse, and WoWAce are among the most reputable addon sites out there and manually check for malicious code. Each site has a search function you can use to find any addon you know the name for. If you don't know the name, each one has vast communities you can post in and get answers.
Thank you as well!

Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
Generally, its impossible to get a virus using a normal WoW AddOn. The nature of WoW isolates AddOns so the most damage they can do is eat an excessive amount of RAM and CPU cycles however even that is not a much of an issue unless you are running WoW on a marginal machine. The main way you would get malware related to WoW is if you run some kind of executable code (WoW AddOns should not contain executable code otherwise they get rejected by the mainstream UI sites) downloaded from some dodgy site or via a site taking advantage of unpatched exploits in your browser, Flash player or JRE (Java). Those are mostly avoidable by keeping your system updated and fully patched.

WoWInterface and the Curse family of sites (Curse and WoWAce) are quite vigilant when comes to keeping nasties out of their system. TukUI (home of TukUI and ElvUI) also keep their sites cleaned up as well

As far as good UIs to start with, LUI is a good choice, same thing with RealUI. TukUI and ElvUI are quite popular as well with many UIs using either of those two as a base.
This information is very reassuring!

Thank you guys for the information!
02-14-17, 03:24 PM   #6
Imerzion
A Defias Bandit

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Hi,

Personally I'd recommend starting off with Elv UI, it's so easy to configure and you can configure almost everything, most interfaces that you see on here use that as the core. Personally don't think you can go wrong with that. Throw a few stand-alone addons with it and you'll be up and running in no time!

- Imerzion
02-14-17, 07:18 PM   #7
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
Generally, its impossible to get a virus using a normal WoW AddOn.
Even though it's true that typical viruses can't exist in addon code, there are still things malicious code can do to cause trouble. For example, addon code could be written to mess with your character: delete gold, delete items, make you say random things, block input, or even give this access to a 3rd party. While a lot of this could be easily reverted by simply removing the addon, the more devastating effects: item/gold deletion for example, would require your character to be rolled back by a GM in order to fix.

Still, these sites are good at keeping this kind of code out, ignoring the potential of what addon code can still do belittles the effort made to keep users safe.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 02-14-17 at 07:23 PM.
02-14-17, 07:44 PM   #8
thethispointer
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Imerzion View Post
Hi,

Personally I'd recommend starting off with Elv UI, it's so easy to configure and you can configure almost everything, most interfaces that you see on here use that as the core. Personally don't think you can go wrong with that. Throw a few stand-alone addons with it and you'll be up and running in no time!

- Imerzion
I like this one very much! TY!
05-18-17, 08:11 PM   #9
Quickly
A Murloc Raider
Ansi compilation is really good. Minimalistic.
05-21-17, 07:52 PM   #10
thethispointer
A Murloc Raider

I like minimalism, I will try it out!
05-22-17, 12:30 PM   #11
Banknorris
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
make you say random things
Just for some good (nerd's) laugh:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20420213488

WoWInterface » General Discussion » General WoW Chat » Where should I start with UIs?