Quantcast
My UI, Suggestions please - WoWInterface
Thread Tools Display Modes
06-24-10, 01:50 PM   #1
MiniStew
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 44
My UI, Suggestions please

Hey everyone who reads this

This is My compilation UI I made. It's only for myself because I don't think people would be interested in it. The resolution is 1024x768 because it's on my laptop and my Desktop is broke atm but I could have more resolutions if I made it public. Any suggestions on how to make it better or anything. Could you rate it out of 10 also? Thanks.

  Reply With Quote
06-24-10, 02:39 PM   #2
MiniStew
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by Jav View Post
1/10

Xp bar is huge and in the way and overall looks a bit plain.
Thanks for the reply. The XP bar is default size, I want it that way for myself and anybody can change the size of it. It's intended to be minimalistic, so I guess plain is a compliment even though it wasn't intended to be.
  Reply With Quote
06-24-10, 03:51 PM   #3
MiniStew
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 44
thanks didn't know that
  Reply With Quote
06-24-10, 04:50 PM   #4
Wella
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard
 
Wella's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 322
If you manage to stick with it until level 80 and it doesn't stop you from playing well, then there's nothing wrong with this UI (except if you plan to release it). However, I'm sure you want people to comment on it from their point of view, so I'll be straight with you.

You obviously haven't made a UI before. How do I know this? You are using about five (visible) addons and you've barely done anything with each of them. Here are the first few things I would do to that UI to start it off:

1. Get rid of SexyMap or at least use a less distracting border. It's completely unnecessary.
2. Sort out your action bars - get rid of all that gloss, make things across a maximum of two bars and get rid of the buttons which you don't need, because I'm sure you don't need all of those buttons shown all the time - you could make certain bars show when you're in or out of combat, or only when you hover over them. (Along with sorting out your action bars, make your XP bar fit into them, rather than sitting on top of them. Try putting it right at the bottom of your screen.)
3. Play with Satrina Buff Frames more - this addon is fantastic and has a lot of opportunity for you to do great things with it. Start off with some basic customization, such as adding a frame which only shows your debuffs on the target, then keep going with filters, layouts, skinning with ButtonFacade, etc. Auras are a hugely important part of your interface!
4. (Optional) Start messing around with the chat box - get a fairly simple chat addon (there are loads to choose from) to start off with and mess around with it.

Good luck and happy gaming!
__________________
Addons I use, not that any of you care
* Bejeweled - For boring 5 minute flights to Tanaris
* Genie - Blizzard really should have implemented bag sorting by now
* ncHoverBind - I'm a Lock, what can you expect?
* oGlow - Agan, a missing feature
* Recount - Derp
* ShooShards - Another missing feature


"Your idea is good. So i will try it."
- popmissa
  Reply With Quote
06-25-10, 03:46 AM   #5
MiniStew
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by Wella View Post
If you manage to stick with it until level 80 and it doesn't stop you from playing well, then there's nothing wrong with this UI (except if you plan to release it). However, I'm sure you want people to comment on it from their point of view, so I'll be straight with you.

You obviously haven't made a UI before. How do I know this? You are using about five (visible) addons and you've barely done anything with each of them. Here are the first few things I would do to that UI to start it off:

1. Get rid of SexyMap or at least use a less distracting border. It's completely unnecessary.
2. Sort out your action bars - get rid of all that gloss, make things across a maximum of two bars and get rid of the buttons which you don't need, because I'm sure you don't need all of those buttons shown all the time - you could make certain bars show when you're in or out of combat, or only when you hover over them. (Along with sorting out your action bars, make your XP bar fit into them, rather than sitting on top of them. Try putting it right at the bottom of your screen.)
3. Play with Satrina Buff Frames more - this addon is fantastic and has a lot of opportunity for you to do great things with it. Start off with some basic customization, such as adding a frame which only shows your debuffs on the target, then keep going with filters, layouts, skinning with ButtonFacade, etc. Auras are a hugely important part of your interface!
4. (Optional) Start messing around with the chat box - get a fairly simple chat addon (there are loads to choose from) to start off with and mess around with it.

Good luck and happy gaming!
Thanks for the info. I was using a less distracting border before but it went back to default by accident and I forgot to change it. Other than that thanks for the time consumed reply which you wrote
  Reply With Quote
06-25-10, 05:35 AM   #6
SuranthianH3
A Murloc Raider
 
SuranthianH3's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8
I play at a 1280x800 resolution on a laptop, so coming up with a good UI can take some time. :P

Well here is a screenshot of my work in progress with explanations below it.
I suggest going for a compact UI, I really suggest getting Dominos above all else, though, it will help make it look a lot better. The low damage is part my crap gear and part carbonite putting my fps at 0.5-2 (I had to drop out of a heroic to investigate the issue). I usually pull 2.5k-4k dps :P


The artwork is an addon called Sunn Viewport which allows resizing the render frame (the actual object that creatures, nameplates, etc. are drawn on), but that usually just leaves black under the UI elements instead of the world, which is what Sunn Viewport fixes by added various artwork under the UI. It also makes your UI looks a lot nicer. Just install different packs. I got mine here

The actionbar addon is Dominos, it hasn't failed me yet.

The unitframes are Pitbull (Which are HEAVILY modified by me to suit what I want)

The nameplates are Tidyplates: Threatplates

The meters beside the bars are Omen (Left; threat meter) and Recount (Right; damage meter)

The circular bars and the rune bar next to my actionbars is IceHUD.

The minimap isn't what I usually use, Carbonite is bugged and when I use it it lags me a lot in combat, so until then I have to use the default. XD

The buff and debuff bars are Simple Buff Bars.

The battle text going around IceHUD is Miks Scrolling Battle Text, which is very useful for procs and managing "number spam" when AoEing.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message or reply.

Last edited by SuranthianH3 : 06-25-10 at 05:43 AM.
  Reply With Quote
06-25-10, 02:49 PM   #7
MiniStew
A Cyclonian
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by SuranthianH3 View Post
I play at a 1280x800 resolution on a laptop, so coming up with a good UI can take some time. :P

Well here is a screenshot of my work in progress with explanations below it.
I suggest going for a compact UI, I really suggest getting Dominos above all else, though, it will help make it look a lot better. The low damage is part my crap gear and part carbonite putting my fps at 0.5-2 (I had to drop out of a heroic to investigate the issue). I usually pull 2.5k-4k dps :P


The artwork is an addon called Sunn Viewport which allows resizing the render frame (the actual object that creatures, nameplates, etc. are drawn on), but that usually just leaves black under the UI elements instead of the world, which is what Sunn Viewport fixes by added various artwork under the UI. It also makes your UI looks a lot nicer. Just install different packs. I got mine here

The actionbar addon is Dominos, it hasn't failed me yet.

The unitframes are Pitbull (Which are HEAVILY modified by me to suit what I want)

The nameplates are Tidyplates: Threatplates

The meters beside the bars are Omen (Left; threat meter) and Recount (Right; damage meter)

The circular bars and the rune bar next to my actionbars is IceHUD.

The minimap isn't what I usually use, Carbonite is bugged and when I use it it lags me a lot in combat, so until then I have to use the default. XD

The buff and debuff bars are Simple Buff Bars.

The battle text going around IceHUD is Miks Scrolling Battle Text, which is very useful for procs and managing "number spam" when AoEing.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message or reply.
Thanks so much for this reply it's helping me alot. Thanks for the info about IceHUD and MSBT. I used MSBT ages ago and loved it but forgot what it was called after reinstalling wow. Can I add you for future questions.
  Reply With Quote
06-25-10, 03:23 PM   #8
blkdrgn
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
 
blkdrgn's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by SuranthianH3 View Post
I play at a 1280x800 resolution on a laptop, so coming up with a good UI can take some time. :P

Well here is a screenshot of my work in progress with explanations below it.
I suggest going for a compact UI, I really suggest getting Dominos above all else, though, it will help make it look a lot better. The low damage is part my crap gear and part carbonite putting my fps at 0.5-2 (I had to drop out of a heroic to investigate the issue). I usually pull 2.5k-4k dps :P


The artwork is an addon called Sunn Viewport which allows resizing the render frame (the actual object that creatures, nameplates, etc. are drawn on), but that usually just leaves black under the UI elements instead of the world, which is what Sunn Viewport fixes by added various artwork under the UI. It also makes your UI looks a lot nicer. Just install different packs. I got mine here

The actionbar addon is Dominos, it hasn't failed me yet.

The unitframes are Pitbull (Which are HEAVILY modified by me to suit what I want)

The nameplates are Tidyplates: Threatplates

The meters beside the bars are Omen (Left; threat meter) and Recount (Right; damage meter)

The circular bars and the rune bar next to my actionbars is IceHUD.

The minimap isn't what I usually use, Carbonite is bugged and when I use it it lags me a lot in combat, so until then I have to use the default. XD

The buff and debuff bars are Simple Buff Bars.

The battle text going around IceHUD is Miks Scrolling Battle Text, which is very useful for procs and managing "number spam" when AoEing.

If you have any other questions, feel free to message or reply.
If you shrunk omen and recount, to fit inside one of your boxes, then moved the chat into the other one....that ui would look 80% better.

But that is just one opinion.
__________________
Missconfused 80 Dk
Missbehavied 80 Hunter
Missconduct 80 Rogue
Missconstrew 80 Mage
-Many other lower level alts=)
  Reply With Quote
06-25-10, 10:15 PM   #9
SuranthianH3
A Murloc Raider
 
SuranthianH3's Avatar
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by blkdrgn View Post
If you shrunk omen and recount, to fit inside one of your boxes, then moved the chat into the other one....that ui would look 80% better.

But that is just one opinion.
Yeah I actually DID do that after I posted. I moved omen and recount to the right and put the chat in the left. I also took the bag bar and main menu and put it along the left side to allow for more room for the meters and to efficiently use the sidespace. This further proves the other guys point that it takes alot of playing around with your UI to finally be happy with it. I'll post a screeny of the current one in a bit.

Originally Posted by MiniStew View Post
Thanks so much for this reply it's helping me alot. Thanks for the info about IceHUD and MSBT. I used MSBT ages ago and loved it but forgot what it was called after reinstalling wow. Can I add you for future questions.
Sure man, go ahead.

New UI Screenshot:

Last edited by SuranthianH3 : 06-25-10 at 11:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » My UI, Suggestions please

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off