09-16-09, 09:40 AM   #1
Tondef
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Turn off chat channels when grouped.

Looking for something that would turn Guild Chat (or other channels) off when you enter a group/raid, then turn them back on when you are solo again.
09-16-09, 10:06 AM   #2
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
It'd look something in the lines of this. Do you need it wrapped up into an addon?

Code:
-- Code removed, look further down for d/l link
Reference
http://www.wowwiki.com/API_ChatFrame...ageEventFilter
http://www.wowwiki.com/Events/Communication

If you need to contact me, do so on Twitter @v6ooo

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 09-17-09 at 06:33 AM.
09-16-09, 11:59 AM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Could always make a tab just for group. So should you need to talk in other channels you you can select the appropriate tab to see replies.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 09-16-09 at 01:55 PM.
09-16-09, 01:50 PM   #4
Tondef
A Cyclonian

OMG that is great!
Could you wrap it in an Addon, or direct me to some instructions to wrap it?

The reason I ask is that I'm in a huge - huge - really huge guild and sometimes guild chat is busier than Trade chat. I don't mind it when I'm just solo or in lfg, but when I group I don't want to miss what the group is saying in the wall of green.
09-16-09, 04:07 PM   #5
Gsusnme
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
While I'm not out to discourages anyone, especially Yourstruly (no, not me, the other guy) it seems a LOT more practical to me (as MidgetMage55 suggested) to simply create a new chat TAB and have ONLY party (or guild) chat show on that tab, that way you can switch back and forth between them and not miss ANYTHING.

The reason for this obviously, is so that if someone is trying to talk to you in guild chat, and you are running an addon that hides or blocks guild chat while in a party, you may miss it; sure said person could always whisper you, but that defeats the purpose of having a guild chat doesn't it?

Whats more, say your the only person in the guild that is online that can make a certain item or consumable, if you had been able to see the guild chat you may have caught it and been able to save your guildy some time and money, but obviously if you never see it, that can't happen, just some things to think about.

At any rate, good luck with your issue.
09-16-09, 04:19 PM   #6
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
Simplest solution is simplest. I was just too narrow minded at the time to actually think of it but that may because I haven't used multiple tabs for ages.

Edit: At least there's an example here if anyone needs it.

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 09-16-09 at 04:21 PM.
09-16-09, 04:41 PM   #7
Tondef
A Cyclonian

Actually, I do have a separate tab for guild chat.

But, yes this is why I asked for this, I like to be able to see guild on Tab 1 with everything else unless I'm grouped.. If I am in a group or raid I want to turn it off in tab 1 (it can continue in tab 3 forever). I just want to automate switching Guild Chat off in Tab 1, I do it manually now.
09-16-09, 04:45 PM   #8
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
The script I posted would affect all tabs unless you do self:GetName()=="ChatFrame1" and going with what MidgetMage55/Gsusnme said would be easiest/best solution.

Not saying it's a bad idea using my script, just saying it'd be a lot easier and you know it wouldn't break even with patches as it's just some chat settings.

Edit: Now they never specifically mentioned it but you could make one tab with everything shown and another tab with everything except guild and just switch over when you need to. I am on my way to the dentist at the moment but when I get home I'll make the changed to only filter ChatFrame1 and zip it up as an addon incase you still want it.

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 09-16-09 at 10:43 PM.
09-17-09, 06:35 AM   #9
v6o
An Onyxian Warder
Promised you and here it is if you still want it.

Edit: Thanks Seerah, didn't know 'bout the attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TondefChatFilter.zip (985 Bytes, 733 views)

Best regards, v6.

Last edited by v6o : 09-17-09 at 11:25 AM. Reason: removed outside hosting link
09-17-09, 11:02 AM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Can you post it as an attachment please, instead of to a random outside host?
Originally Posted by WoWI Site Rules
8. Please do not post outside links for addons, unless they are located on trusted sites such as Curse, wowace, googlecode, etc. It's so easy to just host it here - if you would like to offer it to someone else, just upload it. Any link like www.thisrandomserver-1211.net/thisnewaddon.zip will be removed.
Thanks.

/edit: to use attachments, go to "Additional Options" below the box you type your post into.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Turn off chat channels when grouped.