02-18-13, 09:20 PM   #1
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Be gentle :|

New beta is up....

break it, test it, spell check it, tell me i'm a dumbass for putting something somewhere while it should be somewhere else.. comment on layouts....

I'm actually kinda scared to of finally released the first version of what's been in my head as the future of carbonite for so long... instead of just another patch fix.

02-18-13, 09:40 PM   #2
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Damn! I've just logged for the night and it's a 12 hour downtime tomorrow... -.-

I can't wait to see what you have done with Carb! lol

It's installed and I'll test tomorrow when the servers come back up...

Edit*
might be a small issue but the folder names in the beta have a "." in them and you might want to backup carb's old folders as it could cause conflicts..

e.g old folder name: CarboniteItems
new folder name Carbonite.Items

Edit 2* oh, I have no intention of being gentle with the new carb lol... In fact I'm gonna be rough... Very rough...

Last edited by JimJoBlue : 02-18-13 at 09:51 PM.

02-18-13, 10:28 PM   #3
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by JimJoBlue View Post
Edit 2* oh, I have no intention of being gentle with the new carb lol... In fact I'm gonna be rough... Very rough...
I second this!!

02-18-13, 11:56 PM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Edit*
might be a small issue but the folder names in the beta have a "." in them and you might want to backup carb's old folders as it could cause conflicts..

e.g old folder name: CarboniteItems
new folder name Carbonite.Items
The entire layout of carbonite's folder itself has been changed to be more organized, so overwrite is definitely not what people want to do for the beta.

02-19-13, 02:38 AM   #5
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You get my thumbs for all the work you put into it.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

02-19-13, 09:17 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
The entire layout of carbonite's folder itself has been changed to be more organized, so overwrite is definitely not what people want to do for the beta.
Will the system, either Windows or Mac, even see those two (though slightly) different names as the same and go ahead and overwrite them?

I second zork's comment, also. 8^)

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

02-19-13, 09:27 AM   #7
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

you might want to backup carb's old folders as it could cause conflicts..

What I meant to say was "you might want to remove carbs old folders from your addons folder..."

It was late last night lol, I was sleepy...

Last edited by JimJoBlue : 02-19-13 at 10:55 AM.

02-19-13, 09:41 AM   #8
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Will the system, either Windows or Mac, even see those two (though slightly) different names as the same and go ahead and overwrite them?

I second zork's comment, also. 8^)
For the modules, no they won't.... but for the main carbonite folder it's still just Carbonite.

02-19-13, 12:30 PM   #9
anteract
Premium Member
Premium Member
Just a heads up, the Curse client will clear your addon settings for Carbonite, it wipes the "carbonite.lua" file from the WTF folder. For the beta this is no big deal, but for the release, this will cause a lot of grief.

Note, its supposed to keep the settings on upgrade, (normally does) but the name change of the folders must have made it think the addon was all new and it wiped the old settings.

Backups ftw.

02-19-13, 12:35 PM   #10
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by anteract View Post
Just a heads up, the Curse client will clear your addon settings for Carbonite, it wipes the "carbonite.lua" file from the WTF folder. For the beta this is no big deal, but for the release, this will cause a lot of grief.

Note, its supposed to keep the settings on upgrade, (normally does) but the name change of the folders must have made it think the addon was all new and it wiped the old settings.

Backups ftw.
did it do that because it thinks it's new.... or did it do that because it's flagged as beta.... it's my first time pushing a beta update to curse so i'm not 100% on how it handles the differences between release, beta and alpha

02-19-13, 01:22 PM   #11
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

did it do that because it thinks it's new.... or did it do that because it's flagged as beta.... it's my first time pushing a beta update to curse so i'm not 100% on how it handles the differences between release, beta and alpha
Because the CC thinks it is a new AddOn. Double check to see if you suddenly have more than one Carbonite saved variable file. I didn't use Carb, although I just downloaded the beta to give it a whirl. For those who did use the two versions, check both locations for your SVs. Given Rythal's change to the DB structure, player's settings have done one of two things:
  1. Completely overwritten because the old Carb used global settings, or
  2. You have both a global and a character specific file, one of which is redundant maybe
By default, the Curse Client does not delete saved variables, unless it thinks you are deleting an old AddOn. The CC's upgrade procedure does not delete SVs; it does delete the AddOn folders and replace them with the newer versions, but upgrading does not touch AddOn settings.

What is more likely is the game itself wiped Carbonite.lua from the WTF folder, overwriting it with the newer version.

If the Curse Client were to delete a saved variables file, it will prompt the user, and not do it automatically. if you did not see that prompt during Carbonite's upgrade in the Client, then the client did not delete the file.

In my other secret identity, I am a Curse Moderator, and am supposed to know these things!

02-19-13, 01:35 PM   #12
anteract
Premium Member
Premium Member
Meh, restored the backup data files (didn't really want to reset things again) and restarted Wow, Carbonite just flushed the settings file (\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\xxxxx\SavedVariables\Carbonite.lua) and created new ones. So, guess I get to turn off punks and info windows and move maps around a few more (19 more) times.

Comments and notes and items on maps and things you have found (like all those archeology digs) are gone too of course.

LOVE the new config screens btw, much easier than the old system.

02-19-13, 01:39 PM   #13
anteract
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
By default, the Curse Client does not delete saved variables, unless it thinks you are deleting an old AddOn. The CC's upgrade procedure does not delete SVs; it does delete the AddOn folders and replace them with the newer versions, but upgrading does not touch AddOn settings.
I knew that, just wasn't thinking when I wrote first post, Curse tends to ignore the "WTF" folders, as it should.

Duh.

Carbonite itself wiped the data files, as I mentioned in my next post (after engaging brain)

02-19-13, 01:41 PM   #14
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by anteract View Post
Meh, restored the backup data files (didn't really want to reset things again) and restarted Wow, Carbonite just flushed the settings file (\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\xxxxx\SavedVariables\Carbonite.lua) and created new ones. So, guess I get to turn off punks and info windows and move maps around a few more (19 more) times.

Comments and notes and items on maps and things you have found (like all those archeology digs) are gone too of course.

LOVE the new config screens btw, much easier than the old system.
You should only have to do it once... that was the point in the configuration changes, it's now entirely profile based instead of character based. (tho I did notice I forgot to add profile tab into config lol... next version)

Notes I still need to write a conversion for so it will notice the old ones and upgrade them before it overwrites everything with the new profile structure.

02-19-13, 02:23 PM   #15
pqee
A Fallenroot Satyr
Just tried the beta for a bit and I am impressed how well it works. Considering mess that the code was (from the sound of it), this looks awesome.

Thank you Rythal!

02-19-13, 03:32 PM   #16
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
:/ Already regretting releasing it... mostly that I made it available through curse client.... with the previous beta's I had only a few testers, but at least I knew you guys would report stuff, and didn't expect perfection in the release.

Seems some curse client users install the beta without thought just because it says "update available" (they checked alpha/beta without knowing better), and without reading the release notes... then complain it's broken with no better hints of why...

I should of stuck with Carbonite2 ><

02-19-13, 03:41 PM   #17
pqee
A Fallenroot Satyr
:/ Already regretting releasing it... mostly that I made it available through curse client.... with the previous beta's I had only a few testers, but at least I knew you guys would report stuff, and didn't expect perfection in the release.

Seems some curse client users install the beta without thought just because it says "update available" (they checked alpha/beta without knowing better), and without reading the release notes... then complain it's broken with no better hints of why...

I should of stuck with Carbonite2 ><
Sucks that people can't read that it's a BETA and you're going to take the heat for it.

On the flip side, I was excited to try out the new Beta once I saw it pop up in the client so thank you.

02-19-13, 05:59 PM   #18
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by pqee View Post
Sucks that people can't read that it's a BETA and you're going to take the heat for it.
This is a years-long issue dating back to the old WoWAce updater; back during TBC it was very common for authors to embed version checks into the AddOn communications channel - if you logged into WoW and had an "outdated" version, the typical response would be to go to WoWAce and download the latest ALPHA version, just so you'd be "up-to-date". This mentality carried over to the Curse Client, which allows the user to set the default version-type for ALL of their AddOns.

Many users have the default value set to Alpha (which will also pull down Beta and Release versions), and usually without too many issues since most authors realize the community mentality is broken and try not to push anything out that doesn't work right to the best of their knowledge. There are a few, however, who buck the trend (quite rightly, much to the dismay of such users) and will push out broken code because, after all, it's an Alpha.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

02-19-13, 06:19 PM   #19
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
For now i've deleted it from curse. Once I figure out why the old settings are being deleted even tho I'm not touching NxData anymore i'll submit it again. I will keep it up here tho, and hopefully someone will get the errors so I can see what went wrong for them.

02-19-13, 07:43 PM   #20
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
well... found the first big problem people were encountering. the libs xml is out of order, and tries to call aceconfig before acegui... since I have ace3 installed seperately it worked, without it installed it fails sincce aceconfig depends on acegui.

Last edited by Rythal : 02-19-13 at 07:46 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Be gentle :|