03-14-08, 12:23 PM   #1
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Exclamation Help! I accidentally Kiled some mouse functions

I was configuring a new mod when I accidentally bound one of it's functions to the left mouse button. I changed it to a different kepress, but now I can't target anything with my left mouse button. Can anyone help me fix this? Setting the keybindings back to game default didn't help.
03-14-08, 12:55 PM   #2
Tsikura
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Ratheri View Post
I was configuring a new mod when I accidentally bound one of it's functions to the left mouse button. I changed it to a different kepress, but now I can't target anything with my left mouse button. Can anyone help me fix this? Setting the keybindings back to game default didn't help.
Disable the addon perhaps?
03-14-08, 01:10 PM   #3
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

got an answer from the blizz forums. Gotta kill the WTF, Cache, and Interface folders and restart Wow to reset everything. Hope that helps anybody else this happens to
03-14-08, 03:08 PM   #4
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

Gotta kill the WTF, Cache, and Interface folders
oh that's gonna hurt.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
03-14-08, 03:32 PM   #5
ShadowProwler420
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Thumbs down

got an answer from the blizz forums. Gotta kill the WTF, Cache, and Interface folders and restart Wow to reset everything. Hope that helps anybody else this happens to
I highly doubt Blizzard would make it that difficult to revert one small setting! I mean, c'mon......that's one step removed from doing a total uninstall / reinstall of the game!

Sounds like someone was either lazy and didn't want to look up the easy answer or they were pulling your chain.

/rolls eyes
/shakes head
03-14-08, 04:50 PM   #6
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ShadowProwler420 View Post
I highly doubt Blizzard would make it that difficult to revert one small setting! I mean, c'mon......that's one step removed from doing a total uninstall / reinstall of the game!
I wouldn't equate deleting a few folders to reinstalling a 6+GB program. Considering that Blizzard does not support other authors addons, it's a very simple, guaranteed solution.

Myself, I would of just deleted the offending addons SavedVariables, or possibly the keybinding cache which would of restored the default bindings but meh.

03-14-08, 06:32 PM   #7
Layrajha
A Frostmaul Preserver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Gemini_II View Post
I wouldn't equate deleting a few folders to reinstalling a 6+GB program. Considering that Blizzard does not support other authors addons, it's a very simple, guaranteed solution.

Myself, I would of just deleted the offending addons SavedVariables, or possibly the keybinding cache which would of restored the default bindings but meh.
Well really, deleting even only the WTF folder (which doesn't contain only addon saved variables, but also your parameters from the game itself) would mean that I have to spend roughly 15 minutes putting all my Blizzard settings back.

If you add the installation of addons (assuming you don't have a list of your ~50 addons to download), and their one-by-one configuration, you end up with something like 2-3 hours of work.

Compared to the removal of the single addon that was used to bind the left mouse button, and its saved variables if needed... or even easier, compared to contacting the addon's author and asking how to undo this (because it's probably possible), I doubt it's a valid solution.

Really, the "delete your interface and wtf folders" answer is a very, very, very bad and imo disrespectful answer. It isn't hard to ask if the person knows what addon was causing the problem, and if he knows, to explain what to do.
03-14-08, 06:58 PM   #8
Tsikura
A Cyclonian
Did you bother to try my suggestion? Why jump between forums when you can try our suggestions if you jumped on here first :P

Hope you didn't have a tweak-heavy ui.

P.S Instead of losing any UI settings or the sorts
Go to C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\##ACCOUNTNAME## and delete the file "bindings-cache.wtf"
03-15-08, 01:12 PM   #9
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Actually I disabled all addons before trying their solution. always try the easiest first. And I posted at both sites at the same time, because I figured that would expidite my getting a response from someone. Thanks to everyone that responded. From what I can understand, it was not the addon itself that was the problem but the fact that the mouse button had become essentially unbound from it's default settings and there is (currently) no way to re-bind the mouse buttons to their default functions once they have been changed short of getting rid of whatever file the problem was in. I guess Blizzard tech assumes everyone is a bit computer illiterate, so rather than identify the culprit for you, they tell you to chuck the whole thing and start over. It took me about 3 hours to reconfigure all the bars, pannels & pit bull to close to the way I had it, but i think I made some improvements to the overall layout after all that.

Here's the official "blue" answer I got:

Please close down WoW and remove the WTF, CACHE, and INTERFACE folders from the World of Warcraft game directory. These folders contain temporary data and frequently altered files that may have become corrupted. This will also remove any custom UI's that may contribute to the problem as well.

You can move these folders to the desktop or another directory if you wish to retain the data, however for now please start WoW without those folders present. Also do not use any third party programs to start WoW; often some custom UI's will place a shortcut for you to start WoW from, please use the (Launcher.exe) in the World of Warcraft directory.

If you are using Windows Vista, please also check for the same folders in the following directory (make sure hidden files/folders are being shown under your folder options):
C:\Users\<your windows account name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft

Last edited by Ratheri : 03-15-08 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Clarity
03-15-08, 03:40 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yeah, several people here told you which file to get rid of.
Originally Posted by Tsikura View Post
Did you bother to try my suggestion? Why jump between forums when you can try our suggestions if you jumped on here first :P

Hope you didn't have a tweak-heavy ui.

P.S Instead of losing any UI settings or the sorts
Go to C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\##ACCOUNTNAME## and delete the file "bindings-cache.wtf"
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-15-08, 08:16 PM   #11
Ratheri
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Yeah, several people here told you which file to get rid of.
Not saying they didn't. I just didn't read their posts until after I followed the instructions in the blue post because I was paniced and impatient. I wasn't trying to say that I or they were right, just why I thought the party line was right. And it turns out, for those of us with half a brain and thinking clearly (which clearly didn't apply to me) the official answer was wrong.

One thing I should have made clearer was that I wanted to thank the people that gave advice, even if I was too boneheaded to listen. You guys are awsome.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Help! I accidentally Kiled some mouse functions