04-17-20, 01:33 AM   #1
Skimo
A Murloc Raider

World of Warcraft 3 - Interface Proof of Concept

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links here, but here's a project I've been working on! Please let me know if you've got any questions about the AddOns I used in the video, and if you're an author of one of the featured AddOns, please feel free to reach out! I'd love to be in closer correspondence with you guys. Eventually, I'd like to make this UI shareable to others, so if you think you can offer me some guidance in that regard I'd be eternally grateful. Enjoy the Expo!

- Skimo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CCNWMIdBNI&
04-19-20, 01:02 AM   #2
aallkkaa
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The UI looks very good, and watching the video was a pleasant experience as well!

I won't be using it as I try to not stray away too much from the default UI (there's always something that connflicts with another part of the UI, and when I finally get to achieve some balance... some addon gets abandoned, or Blizzard makes some ĀPI (or even UI) change that throws everything away... It's a bit of too much of a mess for me...).
But, again, I think your UI looks great!

i'm sorry but I also don't think I'd be contributing anything code/textures wise.
But I guess I could make a recommendation or two on things you might use. For instance, as far as the unit frames go, you might want to use oUF. In case you're not familiar with it, it's a very flexible and powerful framework for designing your own layout of unit frames. It's been out there for years, and well maintained. It's great to keep the underlyings working across patches (and expansions), allowing you to focus on the layout itself.
For several of the other elements of the UI, you could look at Zork's rSomething addons, all based on his rLib library. They're by no means as popular as oUF, but they do look quite sturdy (even if updates aren't that frequent, they still seem frequent enough to me). Some of those addons are basic, but very welcome, changes to elements (e.g. rObjectiveTracker), others like rActionBar are frameworks, much like oUF.
And, of course, there is also kgPanels.

Just saying, f you want to maintain your project on the long run, using frameworks such as those can help a lot.

Good luck!
04-19-20, 09:33 AM   #3
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Never really been a fan of these types of interfaces but, to each their own. The one major plus side is it's not another tuk/elv setup.

Originally Posted by aallkkaa View Post
i'm sorry but I also don't think I'd be contributing anything code/textures wise.
But I guess I could make a recommendation or two on things you might use. For instance, as far as the unit frames go, you might want to use oUF. In case you're not familiar with it, it's a very flexible and powerful framework for designing your own layout of unit frames. It's been out there for years, and well maintained. It's great to keep the underlyings working across patches (and expansions), allowing you to focus on the layout itself.
For several of the other elements of the UI, you could look at Zork's rSomething addons, all based on his rLib library. They're by no means as popular as oUF, but they do look quite sturdy (even if updates aren't that frequent, they still seem frequent enough to me). Some of those addons are basic, but very welcome, changes to elements (e.g. rObjectiveTracker), others like rActionBar are frameworks, much like oUF.
And, of course, there is also kgPanels.

Just saying, f you want to maintain your project on the long run, using frameworks such as those can help a lot.

Good luck!
You don't have to use any of the suggested "frameworks" to have this project have a long shelf life. DUF (Discord UnitFrames) is more than capable of doing exactly what he wants to do unit wise. Sure if he has pretty good experience with Lua then yeah he could accomplish the same and more with oUF or by swapping to ElvUI and fully customizing to fit his theme. You mentioned Zork's stuff... well, all of his addons aren't based off of rLib, they just include that addon as it provides draggable frames, etc. His rActionbar isn't really a framework even though in the addon description he tries to call it one. The whole addon pretty much already builds the actionbars/buttons and then he has it so you basically create another addon as a template/layout that just has configuration settings and then the build/create function. I do agree his stuff is aesthetically pleasing if you're into the simple look. As for kgPanels, well it's not really needed in his current setup and definitely not needed to increase longevity.
04-19-20, 10:34 AM   #4
aallkkaa
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Well, I'm not familiar with DUF, but the reason I mentioned oUF is because Skimo said in his video that he uses DUF for the target frame, but his "own spagheti" for the player's. And I'm pretty sure oUF can be used to deliver the same result. TBH though, I haven't even seen Skimo's code and it's ultimately not my choice, so ... heh, maybe I shouldn't even have mentined it. So yeah, take my suggestions with a proper bit of salt.

As for Zork's addons not being based off his rLib, well, you are right. But then again, I don't think I was wrong either. Yes, rLib does exactly what you said and that's what Zork uses it for in his addons. It's no Ace3, but I guess it's useful for what it does.
Bit for all of the above, I don't really need to argue over, you've made good points, Tim. But on rActionBar, I'm not sure why you seem to not consider it a proper framework. I mean, with oUF, you choose which frames you want to implement (replace) and you implement them with oUF; with rActionBar, you choose which action bars you want to implement (replace) and you implement them with rActionBar.
Sure, you need to implement different elements with oUF (HP bar, resource bar(s), etc) whereas with rActionBar you implement each bar as a whole (size, scale, number of rows per bar, visibility (in/out of combat, etc - all of which you can also implement for oUF frames), but I guess rActionBar is simpler because action bars actually are simpler elements than unit frames (less child elements). If you're talking about textures and such, IIRC you can customize backgrounds, borders and glows with rActionBar (I pretty much keep my addon customizations simple in their look).
What would rActionBar need to do for you to consider it a proper framework?

As to kgPanels... well, it's been around forever and I guess it could be useful. But amongst it all, it's likely the part of an UI less prone to being made out of date by subsequent patches, I agree.
04-19-20, 01:49 PM   #5
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by aallkkaa View Post
As for Zork's addons not being based off his rLib, well, you are right. But then again, I don't think I was wrong either. Yes, rLib does exactly what you said and that's what Zork uses it for in his addons. It's no Ace3, but I guess it's useful for what it does.
Bit for all of the above, I don't really need to argue over, you've made good points, Tim. But on rActionBar, I'm not sure why you seem to not consider it a proper framework. I mean, with oUF, you choose which frames you want to implement (replace) and you implement them with oUF; with rActionBar, you choose which action bars you want to implement (replace) and you implement them with rActionBar.
Sure, you need to implement different elements with oUF (HP bar, resource bar(s), etc) whereas with rActionBar you implement each bar as a whole (size, scale, number of rows per bar, visibility (in/out of combat, etc - all of which you can also implement for oUF frames), but I guess rActionBar is simpler because action bars actually are simpler elements than unit frames (less child elements). If you're talking about textures and such, IIRC you can customize backgrounds, borders and glows with rActionBar (I pretty much keep my addon customizations simple in their look).
What would rActionBar need to do for you to consider it a proper framework?
I don't call rActionBar a proper framework because the addon itself already has everything built into it. The layout/template/theme that you have to make is nothing more than a couple tables followed by a creation function. You are not really in control of anything aside from visibility states, dimensions, positions and how many buttons per row/column. All the layout/template/theme addon is is a seperate config file really. rActionBar can work standalone without a template addon just by adding the config/layout file within it's folder and updating the toc to include it but, since zork doesn't use a gui based config setup this is a way that works so when he updates his addons all you have to do is update the base addon and not your config addon.

oUF you have to code and build the entire layout yourself. Every aspect of the unit frames is customizable and can be built upon. Every element you are in control of. rActionBar all you are doing is altering tables (configs) for each actionbar, you are not coding/building anything.

What could rActionBar need to do for me to considering it a proper framework? Nothing honestly. They're not a very robust type of addon where the user can really build and customize substantially.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » World of Warcraft 3 - Interface Proof of Concept