12-04-09, 04:24 PM   #1
seanyboi1234
A Defias Bandit
Need Help switching back to manually installing after uninstalling Curse Client.

Up until today I used Curse Client for my addons, but I decided to go back to installing them manually so I could get addons from here that Curse doesn't offer. I uninstalled the client and tried installing some addons from here into my wow/interface/addons folder, but when I log into the game all the game all of the addons I installed from here do not show up, but the ones I got from using Curse Client are still there. How can i make it so that WoW takes it's addons from it's original folder again?
12-04-09, 04:28 PM   #2
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm having trouble understanding why you uninstalled the Curse Client. Having it installed has no bearing on whether or not you can install AddOns manually from WoWInterface. People do this all the time.

As for "the original folder" - WoW is using AddOns from the AddOns folder even when you are using the Curse Client. My guess is that you simply dropped zip files into the folder without extracting them, or extracted them into the wrong folder.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
12-04-09, 04:35 PM   #3
seanyboi1234
A Defias Bandit
No I definately extracted them. And I uninstalled it because someone told me that if I use Curse Client it won't allow me to use addons that I download manually. I thought it was true. As of yesterday my WoW/interface/addons folder was completely empty, but i was still using Curse, and all my addons were working just fine. So I assume that it placed them in another folder somewhere, and that WoW now reads it for what addons it should use. Is this the case or has something just went terribly wrong with my addons / WoW somewhere?
12-04-09, 05:03 PM   #4
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Something is definitely amiss. Your AddOns should reside in "World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns" - that is the only place from where WoW will attempt to read them, so having them elsewhere would never work to begin with. Are you sure you don't have WoW installed in two separate places?

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
12-04-09, 05:18 PM   #5
seanyboi1234
A Defias Bandit
I honestly don't know. I don't ever recall installing it in two seperate places, but it could be possible. If I uninstall WoW then reinstall it would it go back to working properly, or would it just be a waste of time?
12-04-09, 05:23 PM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
Are you sure you don't have WoW installed in two separate places?
The likely culprit.

Right click your WoW launcher, select properties. In the properties there should be a file directory giving you the location of the WoW client you actually use (happens after upgrading OS version, ie. XP to Vista). If you do find 2 locations, you only need one .

Good luck, hope it gets sorted out easily.
12-04-09, 05:43 PM   #7
Akryn
A Firelord
On Windows, it's also possible (although much less likely, now) for the addons dir to be in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\
12-05-09, 02:40 AM   #8
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Akryn View Post
On Windows, it's also possible (although much less likely, now) for the addons dir to be in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\
This sounds like the case if you are using Windows Vista/7 AND WoW is installed in the Program Files folder. Program Files is locked down so only "certified" installers can write changes to that folder. If programs wish to make changes and don't use a certified installer/uninstaller, they have to use the AppData folder to store those changes. This is part of the security scheme used with Vista/7

However this there is an easy way around this: Move your WoW folder!
  • Create a new folder in your "root" drive (usually C:\). Called it something like "Games" (without the quotes)
  • Now goto Program Files, right click on the WoW folder and choose "Cut" (or just select and press Control X)
  • Open up your new Games folder and select any empty spot and right click. Choose "Paste" (or just press Control V)
  • Wait the short amount of time needed to complete the transfer
  • You can now install AddOns and such in the AddOns folder. Likewise updaters such as the Curse Client and Minion can work with this folder, they just may need a bit of help finding it the time
In the future, just install any new games in your new Games folder. However WoW is not picky, it will happily use what ever folder you choose.
12-06-09, 01:56 AM   #9
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by seanyboi1234 View Post
I honestly don't know. I don't ever recall installing it in two seperate places, but it could be possible. If I uninstall WoW then reinstall it would it go back to working properly, or would it just be a waste of time?

If you're using Vista or 7, right click over the WoW shortcut icon on your desktop and choose Open File Location. That's where your game is installed.
12-06-09, 09:51 AM   #10
zero-kill
A Firelord

Originally Posted by seanyboi1234 View Post
And I uninstalled it because someone told me...
Oh the prevalent.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Need Help switching back to manually installing after uninstalling Curse Client.