01-21-14, 12:55 PM   #1
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addon Copyrights

I have been strugging to get down my addons from rtarded wowmatrix, however they seems to be running with a german ISP, make it impossible to DMCA their ass, my question is what the hell i can do?
01-21-14, 02:59 PM   #2
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Afaik, German ISPs are really anal when it comes to anything legal, so it should work in your favor if anything.

Not intimate with how they do things, but I know people that are from Germany that have dealt with things like this before.
01-21-14, 03:05 PM   #3
Resike
A Pyroguard Emberseer
And will they take a DMCA or i need to use something else? I tried to search for such template but couldn't find much.
01-21-14, 03:35 PM   #4
Choonstertwo
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Resike View Post
And will they take a DMCA or i need to use something else? I tried to search for such template but couldn't find much.
Carienn posted one a few years ago in a thread about another unauthorised site taking AddOns.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...62&postcount=7
01-21-14, 07:27 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

When I had to deal with them, I started out with a standard DMCA notice, but it took several more informal "no, I really don't want to work with you, f*ck off and take my addon off your site" exchanges before they actually did it. They'll also try to be sneaky and remove your addon from the website, but it'll still be available through their app, so you just have to keep checking and keep repeating yourself until they actually comply.

Also, I've even been successful sending DMCA notices to Russian and Chinese ISPs, and those countries have absolutely no respect for US copyrights, so I'd guess an ISP in a country that does respect international copyright treaties would be at least as willing to remove infringing content.
01-21-14, 08:27 PM   #6
Duugu
Premium Member

German ISPs are not covered by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The DCMA is US law. German ISP are covered by German law.

There is no such thing like the DCMA in Germany. Nevertheless notice and takedown is a common practice in Germany as well. A reliable ISP should and will react to an informal takedown notice. The difference is that is not based on a bill like the DCMA but it is backed by multiple german court decisions. That means there's no legitimate claim to takedown content like with the DCMA.
01-21-14, 09:21 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
You are correct, Germany doesn't have the specific DMCA law in its books. It does, however, recognise it. This link shows a list of countries which have signed and ratified one or more multilateral international copyright treaties. Germany is on there.

Resike, if Wowmatrix themselves refuse to take your addons off their site & updater after you have contacted them, contact their host. Start with an informal "guys, I don't like my stuff on your site, please remove", then move on to the more formal C&Ds & DMCA take down requests if necessary. (Yes, I know, it will be necessary, but I keep hoping that people will be decent. /sigh) If that still doesn't work, move on to their hosts. As others have noted, ISPs don't appreciate customers that break international copyright protections and they should back you up if you need it.

Last edited by Cairenn : 01-21-14 at 09:28 PM.
01-22-14, 01:16 AM   #8
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Duugu View Post
German ISPs are not covered by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The DCMA is US law. German ISP are covered by German law. ... That means there's no legitimate claim to takedown content like with the DCMA.
I'm well aware that the DMCA is a US law and not some magic wand. However, most countries in the world respect the copyright laws of other countries, and most web hosts in every country have a TOS that forbids using their service to infringe on copyrights or do other illegal things. Plus, it's easier for me to have a single form letter -- where I can just drop in the addon name(s) and page URL(s) -- than to write a bunch of different templates for different countries. I have a more informal "please remove my software" preamble at the top, and a standard DMCA notice at the bottom. This covers all the bases, and as I previously mentioned, has even worked on Russian and Chinese sites -- two countries who are not exactly known for their great respect for US copyrights.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Addon Copyrights