11-17-08, 10:34 PM   #1
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
What video card can support the new shadow system?

I'm looking to upgrade my video card so I can use the new shadowing system, among other things. Currently, if I have it set to even the lowest real-time setting, then I get these weird artifacts on screen; It's basically an overhead map of the shadows, allowing me to see things that are off camera/behind me. Also, bonus points if I can have 2x (or higher) multi-sampling. My average framerate is 23fps, with everything except for object distance, spell effects, and weather intensity set to low. (Death effect is enabled, but that increases my framerate to 34fps!)

I am currently using an nVidia GeForce 7300 LE. Any tips would be appreciated!
11-17-08, 10:43 PM   #2
joeba18
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT for Mac
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Any of these nvidia cards should do the trick and some.
Also remember that not only the video card will cause a lag experience.
To really top out performance memory,cpu,cooling,hard drive along with the video card can increase the performance of the game.

As far as frame rate your video card is the most important but upgrading the others help it along.
11-18-08, 03:13 AM   #3
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by joeba18 View Post
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO
Got the 768MiB one on newegg for $100. Works wonderfully. Assuming, of course, that you have PCIe. If you're on AGP it's best you just do a full overhaul (which is what I just did, including the vid card).
11-18-08, 08:03 AM   #4
Psychophan7
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
I was thinking of upgrading my RAM, too. But I have heard that faster isn't better, or that more isn't better, or that you can't mix 'n' match RAM of different speeds... Can these be clarified? Also, is there a way to check what kind I have without physically opening the computer up?
11-18-08, 08:23 AM   #5
Ganaw
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
I was thinking of upgrading my RAM, too. But I have heard that faster isn't better, or that more isn't better, or that you can't mix 'n' match RAM of different speeds... Can these be clarified? Also, is there a way to check what kind I have without physically opening the computer up?
Some RAM makers offer a scan feature on their site. I personally use http://www.crucial.com/ if I'm helping a family member or friend if I didn't build their PC for them. I just wouldn't buy from them directly. I personally use www.newegg.com. I know some people that swear by using pricewatch.com and it can sometimes get a better price but I just trust newegg's service a bit better.

As for if you can mix/match/etc. Yes and no. You are limited to the RAM that your motherboard will support. Most motherboards will allow multiple speed types but if you have a faster speed RAM and a lower speed RAM you will clock at the lower speed in most cases. Also it is best to install RAM in matching sets (so you put in 2 sticks of 1Gb rather than 1 stick at 512 and one at 1Gb).
11-18-08, 08:25 AM   #6
FrankN
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Psychophan7 View Post
Just quoting myself from another thread how you could check it:

Originally Posted by FrankN View Post
Just check the RAM settings: http://www.memtest.org/

Do it pairwise, the original and than the new one. If clockage and timing (CAS) is the same in most cases it should work.
But abort the testing it could take a "little while".
Clockage and CAS will be showed like that: http://www.memtest.org/pics/amd64-big.gif

EDIT: To stupid to use proper tags
And no it is never a good idea to mix different RAMs (could give problems even if clockage and timing is the same).
11-18-08, 01:36 PM   #7
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Also depends on how much RAM you have. 1GiB is pretty much bare minimum to run wow decently, and 2GiB is certainly better.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » What video card can support the new shadow system?