12-07-08, 07:14 AM   #1
Benea
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Scan your stuff...

if you used curse client recently. Friend of mine got hacked and I found he had accidentally downloaded a trojan. The addon is gone now from curse.

http://www.curse.com/forums/t/68973.aspx
12-07-08, 11:17 AM   #2
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
One of the reasons I don't use a client.

I like to manually download and open the zip files myself. This way I know what I'm going to be extracting to my hard drives.

And I don't think this will affect anyone who used the curse client. The client will not download the virus unless you tell it to get a certain infected zip (now removed). It will effect you if you downloaded a Mod called "Time Calculator". It contained a single exe file. Problem with the client is it does not care what's in the zip files. It just extracts is.

Just another reason why I like shopping here over the other sites. Security. Curse needs to follow suite
12-07-08, 11:25 AM   #3
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I completely agree Sepioth. Manual is so much safer, even though these things happen so rare.
12-07-08, 01:26 PM   #4
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
Hi guys, as I posted on curseforge the file was very short lived. It is also the only virus we've had since curseforge launched.

As far as the curse client, it may have downloaded it but it wouldn't have ran it at all.

Not to mention that many groups that steal passwords will sit on them for weeks or months before using them.

I'd still contend that unless he manually and voluntarily ran the executable I'd say it is more likely something that he did several weeks or even months ago.

Again my apologies to the community for this oversight. We've also stepped up our security checks significantly to make things like this harder. However, I fully expect people to continue to try.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Scan your stuff...