12-11-08, 05:46 PM   #21
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would suggest deleting WoW and doing a reinstall from the discs.

Giving it a fresh start is probably the best idea. All I suggest saving is your Addons folder. Other than that delete it all.

Reinstall WoW from the discs.
Replace you addons folder.
Run WoW to update it. Will take a while to do this part.

Hopefully this will fix WoW.
12-11-08, 05:56 PM   #22
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Okie, I'll try it! It's kinda a big call, this will take yonks
12-12-08, 09:58 AM   #23
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by WaldoJeffers View Post
Okie, I'll try it! It's kinda a big call, this will take yonks
Does this problem happen in other games?
12-12-08, 10:49 AM   #24
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Thank you everyone for the help, appreciate it! I have tried all of the advice, (thanks alot vpr for the bump with 11 steps) The problem still occurs unfortunately. All I can say that might be relevant is,
- This problem first occurred the second after I reformatted
- Before I reformatted, I saved the WoW folder from it's directory over 3 dvd disks. After I reformatted, I installed WoW by copying the wow files from these 3 dvd disks back into Program Files.
Unfortunately the only way to rid yourself of the video artifacting, since there is no overheating issue, is to replace the video card. If you want to be absolutely sure that it is video artifacting, look that up on Google and view the images. You will see the same image as what you are experiencing, and it'll also say that the card is going bad.
12-12-08, 03:04 PM   #25
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Unfortunately the only way to rid yourself of the video artifacting, since there is no overheating issue, is to replace the video card. If you want to be absolutely sure that it is video artifacting, look that up on Google and view the images. You will see the same image as what you are experiencing, and it'll also say that the card is going bad.
This cannot be said quite yet

He just explained that he copied WoW from 3 different backup sources. This is very much likely his issue as some files could be corrupt or just not working nicely together.

He is going to be re-installing WoW so hopefully that fixes his issue
12-13-08, 04:56 AM   #26
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Just reinstalled and the issue is still here
Suppose I must bite the bullet and get a new card eh?

look that up on Google and view the images.
Along side the wierd "dimensions" of colour I have in the pic in post one, I have this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXbpjCX81Vc though not as severe

Last edited by WaldoJeffers : 12-13-08 at 04:58 AM.
12-13-08, 06:04 AM   #27
vpr
A Theradrim Guardian
Download Aquamark 3 HERE this is a 3d Benchmarking program and install and run it - stay in front of the computer as it runs and see if there are any traces of artifacting.

Also download and install 3DMark 06 HERE and run that.

They should both offer an evaluation/free trial of both. The developers of Aquamark3 no longer exist as a company anyways.

These should both push your video card to it's max. If you're experiencing artifacting in these, then in my opinion there is some sort of hardware problem, either (most likely) with the video card itself, or the power supply not supplying enough power (did you also make sure the vents on the power supply aren't coated in dust?)

For S&G's I'd download a demo of the latest game and try playing that too:
12-13-08, 07:30 AM   #28
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Just reinstalled and the issue is still here
Suppose I must bite the bullet and get a new card eh?

Along side the wierd "dimensions" of colour I have in the pic in post one, I have this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXbpjCX81Vc though not as severe
That's not good

The last thing I can recommend is posting about your issue over on the tech forums, and include the screenie of the artifacting. Be as specific as possible, and include all of the steps you've taken to troubleshoot (updating drivers, checking for heat issues while the game is running [tell them what the temps are], blowing out dustbunnies etcetera etcetera). Include the following info in your post so they can assist you more effectively:

Go to Start -> Run -> type dxdiag and press Enter. (Windows Vista: Press the Windows Key (the key with the Windows logo on your keyboard) + R (at the same time). Type in DXDIAG and press Enter or click 'OK', this will open the DirectX diagnostic tool.)

They'll need the following info:
System tab
Operating system:
Processor:
Memory:
DirectX Version:

Display tab
Device Name:
Driver Version:
Driver Date:
Driver DDI Version:
DirectDraw Acceleration:
Direct3D Acceleration:
AGP Texture Acceleration:

The forum techs work Monday - Friday from 8am to 8pm PST except major holidays, so the forum isn't moderated in between those times.

Another thing you can ask the techs about is testing the game in -opengl mode and weather or not you should try it (they'll help you do this). This mode uses a different method to display graphics which tests the Direct3D on the system. It also puts the game in an unsupported state as WoW does require Direct3D... they will only ask you to do this for testing purposes, so the game should never be consistently run in that mode (opengl is not officially supported by WoW).

Last edited by Petrah : 12-13-08 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Frogot to add link to tech forums
12-13-08, 07:13 PM   #29
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by vpr View Post
Aquamark 3 and 3DMark 06
Thanks, tried both.
Test with Aquamark 3 - It ran fine, couldn't see a problem
Test with 3DMark 06 - It ran well, but I think ( this was so minor I'm not sure it was a problem) I could see unlike this videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXbpjCX81Vc) extreme black artifacting, I saw minor "clear/ see through" artifacting, very minor, so minor It might have just been the way the test has it.

The last thing I can recommend is posting about your issue over on the tech forums
Ok thank you, I made a thread.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Graphics go boom?