12-14-08, 04:07 AM   #1
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The (unique) reason I'm quitting the game...

So, my wife was running Karazhan for nostalgia's sake, and man ... that was a fail PUG. I've seen bad pugs before, but this one was like taking kindergartner's on a field trip. Everybody was just wandering around saying "I wonder what's in this room. Oh look, more mobs! Oops, I just pulled two groups and a pat, lol!" I joined up on my feral tank to try to help lead this thing and actually finish it, and after two (inadvertant) pulls, everything stopped. We were disconnected. I hate that limbo where you're just sitting there, nobody's moving, and you're just waiting for the graphics to freeze while it logs you out, and then says "You've been disconnected from the server". (Gee, ya' think?) Usually, if we d/c, either it's just a network blip and we reconnect, or my (aging) router needs reset again, or our Comcast service is out for an hour or two. This time was ... quite different.

I was trying to figure out exactly why we had lost Internet connectivity, when I heard squelching radios and running feet in the corridor outside my unit in the apartment complex. When I poked my head out to see what was happening, one lady ran down the hall yelling that there was a fire on the 6th floor, get everything important and get out. We thought someone had a cooking fire in their apartment or something, we were all going to go freeze our butts off for a half hour outside, then go back in. But ... just in case, I unplugged my desktop, grabbed my laptop, and we evacuated. Then the firetrucks started arriving. Then more. Then more. Then we could see the smoke coming from the roof. Then it erupted in flame.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5068603

I'm now homeless. We're staying with my in-laws for now. <sigh> As soon as we can get allowed back in the building to see if anything survived, I expect funds are about to get a lot tighter for us. Plus, I'll be needing to put in a lot more time at work.

So, it's been a great ride. I've loved the chance I've had to make some (amateurish) mods and host them here. I've loved pugging Mag with you all pre-nerf. I loved getting into the beta when DK's had to make a quest turn-in macro to get past their 4th quest because the quest giver was hovering too high off the ground. I've loved every class I've played (76 mage, 70 feral druid, 70 ret pally (I meant to go holy with him, but he only finally dinged 70 after wotlk), 63 dk, 30 shaman). I've loved it all, but I just can't continue with it for awhile. You'll still see me around occasionally, but ... not as much. Maybe nobody will notice.

Anyways, thank you all. Especially the WoWI staff. I love your site, you make it awesome, keep it up. Bye!
12-14-08, 04:35 AM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Holy ...! Wow, that really sucks. I'm glad to read the article saying that there were no injuries, thank you for linking it. I would have sat here and been all worried otherwise. Please keep in touch, let us know how you are doing!
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

Last edited by Cairenn : 12-14-08 at 04:40 AM.
12-14-08, 04:39 AM   #3
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Aww sorry to read this take care and good luck with what ever the future brings.
12-14-08, 07:51 AM   #4
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm very sorry to hear of such bad news, I wish you well and hope you can recover from the losses soon.
12-14-08, 08:15 AM   #5
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Jzar View Post
-snip- get everything important and get out. -snip- I unplugged my desktop, grabbed my laptop, and we evacuated.
Is it just me, or, uhm.. heh!

Sorry about your loss, but hey! You still have your computers!

Good luck living with the inlaws.....

PS: btw.. if it's any consolation, my wife did -exactly- that when she evacuated for Katrina (I wasn't home.. drivin trucks at the time) and.. well.. we still had the computers when I got home! So.. just laugh, it's gotta get better.

break19
12-14-08, 09:29 AM   #6
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Originally Posted by break19 View Post
Is it just me, or, uhm.. heh!

Sorry about your loss, but hey! You still have your computers!

Good luck living with the inlaws.....

PS: btw.. if it's any consolation, my wife did -exactly- that when she evacuated for Katrina (I wasn't home.. drivin trucks at the time) and.. well.. we still had the computers when I got home! So.. just laugh, it's gotta get better.

break19
I'd be the same though, all I need is my laptop and external drive.
I feel so sorry for you, and I hope it will turn out well in the end. Maybe it's not much, but my thoughts are all I can give you.
12-14-08, 10:21 AM   #7
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Sorry to hear this.

Good Luck getting back on your feet. Don't worry you will be back soon.

The lure of WoW will bring you back

Good luck and Godspeed.
12-14-08, 10:26 PM   #8
Farook
A Molten Giant

All the best to you, Jzar.
12-15-08, 05:34 AM   #9
Republic
Paladin

You are not homeless. You have a place to stay. While tragic in its own right, this situation is a mild inconvenience compared with the plight of real homeless people.

Good luck to you.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » The (unique) reason I'm quitting the game...