08-11-13, 09:29 PM   #1
mrTiev
A Murloc Raider
Missing sound file?

Hey guys, I've been going crazy over the past 2 days trying to find a sound file in the MPQs for Raging Blow (warrior skill). And apparently there is no raging blow in any of the MPQs or anything that looks similar. Has anyone been able to find it for some reason?

I'm starting to think they use regular weapon crit sounds or something like that.

Anyone shed some light?

Thanks in advance
08-11-13, 09:38 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Perhaps so. I couldn't find anything in a quick search through here, either: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...tedforMoP.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-11-13, 09:42 PM   #3
mrTiev
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Perhaps so. I couldn't find anything in a quick search through here, either: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...tedforMoP.html
Yeah thanks for trying Seerah, I went through that file list in-game and played most sounds that resembled something like a raging blow. No dice. I wonder if there's an addon that displays the sound file when you hear a sound. That would be handy I think.
08-11-13, 09:56 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by mrTiev View Post
I wonder if there's an addon that displays the sound file when you hear a sound. That would be handy I think.
Most sounds are played directly by the game client, so addons don't have any way to even tell that a sound is being played, let alone which sound it is. The only sounds an addon could tell you about are those played by the UI, like the sound that plays when you open your bags.
08-11-13, 10:29 PM   #5
mrTiev
A Murloc Raider
Ah I see. That's a pity. Or not considering what the ramifications of allowing such control of in game files might be. Well, thanks for the answer. Back to sound probing it is for me.
08-12-13, 03:57 AM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

I think it's mostly a practical matter of efficiency. Think about how many sounds are being played at once during a 25-player raid boss encounter. You've got the boss using abilities; the boss getting hit by abilities; adds using abilities, adds getting hit; 25 players using abilities and getting hit by the boss, adds, fires, void zones, and who knows what else; procs going off; pets using abilities and getting hit; fires and void zones and such spawning and making noise; environmental stuff like torches, flowing and falling water, dropping rocks, etc. That's a lot of sounds.

If you were to turn that over to the UI, not only would you be slowing things down by shifting the work from the game's C code to the much slower Lua environment, but you'd also have to slow it down even more by telling the UI about all of those hundreds or thousands of things that require sounds. While the UI is aware of some of those actions -- for example, the UI knows when you cast Fireball, and it knows when the boss dodges a melee hit -- it isn't aware of many others -- for example, the UI doesn't know when a void zone spawns under you, so it couldn't play a sound to warn you about it until you actually took damage from it, and it definitely doesn't know about torches and waterfalls and other environmental stuff that makes noise.

However, there is a "security" aspect, too. Currently, all of those sounds are rendered as part of the 3D world -- when you hear the sound of a melee hit getting blocked, for example, you can tell whether that's happening off to your left or your right, and you can tell whether it's right in front of you or further away. If you were playing all of those sounds through the UI instead, you wouldn't be able to have that positional info, because the UI doesn't have access to the locations of things in the 3D world, by design; Blizzard doesn't want addons to be able to tell you that your arena enemy is 12 yards forward and 17 yards left, or even that there is a void zone 2 yards to your right. Even if the UI was only told "play this sound, at this volume, with this channel balance" you could still use that information to estimate other information that Blizzard doesn't want you to have, and there's not really any way to avoid that issue as long as the information is available to the UI.

On a less tangential note, you may have better luck simply extracting all the spell sounds from Data/sound.MPQ using MPQEditor and playing through them in your regular music player, than by copying and pasting thousands of in-game PlaySoundFile commands.
08-12-13, 08:31 AM   #7
mrTiev
A Murloc Raider
Sounds like it makes sense

Yeah I'm using Ladik's MPQ editor. They come out as OGG though. Not sure what plays .ogg? But thanks! I'll try to open these files, should really make it easier.
08-12-13, 02:28 PM   #8
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by mrTiev View Post
Sounds like it makes sense

Yeah I'm using Ladik's MPQ editor. They come out as OGG though. Not sure what plays .ogg? But thanks! I'll try to open these files, should really make it easier.
VideoLAN, foobar2000, XMPlay, 1by1 if you want something truly minimalistic.

Or using one of the available codec packs if you prefer to use an existing (windows) player.

Last edited by Dridzt : 08-12-13 at 02:51 PM.
08-12-13, 03:39 PM   #9
mrTiev
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Dridzt View Post
VideoLAN, foobar2000, XMPlay, 1by1 if you want something truly minimalistic.

Or using one of the available codec packs if you prefer to use an existing (windows) player.
Wow thanks, mr. Do'Urden! Very helpful
08-13-13, 12:56 PM   #10
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Also take note that many sound files are shared among different spells. If a file doesn't exist for a specific spell, it may be under a different name.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Missing sound file?