10-22-08, 08:29 AM   #1
eomer
A Theradrim Guardian

Question Curse updater - couple of questions

1. I just wanted to ask how it (or WoWInterface updater) checks if addon is up to date? Will any of them recognize newer version of addon if I updated it manually and there is no update on site, or will it replace it with newest version avaiable on the site?
2. Why is curse updater re-installing addons or modules of addons I manually deleted? For example, I don't need Dominos XP and Buff modules and I delete them, but after each run of Curse updater they are here again. Can I stop it from doing this?
3. Is there a way for it to show which addons have updated version?

10-22-08, 09:00 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
1. I just wanted to ask how it (or WoWInterface updater) checks if addon is up to date? Will any of them recognize newer version of addon if I updated it manually and there is no update on site, or will it replace it with newest version avaiable on the site?
2. Why is curse updater re-installing addons or modules of addons I manually deleted? For example, I don't need Dominos XP and Buff modules and I delete them, but after each run of Curse updater they are here again. Can I stop it from doing this?
3. Is there a way for it to show which addons have updated version?
Most of your questions can be answered on the WoWAce forums.

1. I am not sure how CC or WIU check version. They have their own methods.

2. Currently CC does not mess with your file system so it has no way of knowing that you manually deleted an AddOn. Likely this will change in future versions however right now, the only way to tell CC that you nuked an AddOn yourself is to nuke it via CC.

3. CC and WIU will only show updated AddOns if you downloaded AddOns via that particular updater. WIU will show a button next to the AddOn saying update is available.
10-22-08, 09:15 AM   #3
bsm0f0
A Murloc Raider

1) No clue, CC is no WAU ... that's all I know in that regard.

2) Dominos_XP and _Buff are part of the Dominos package. The CC isn't smart enough to look inside the ZIP and extract only the mods that you are using. So every time you update Dominos, it will unpack the entire package and place it in your addon folder. The best method around this is to deactivate _XP and _Buffs in your Addon options in the WOW client.

3) CC will only show the update addon if you check for updates, at which point it will install them (at least from my experience).

Personally, I'm back to manually installing until the WUI client fixes the bandwidth issues (installing Dominos six times) ... I can't effin stand the Curse client.
10-23-08, 01:41 PM   #4
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Some updaters check their own cache of addons, from a file on your computer. They do not check an online source to check if your addons need updating. I do think the Curse Client does this.. NOT good!
I have found that Curse Client will also update to alpha or beta versions... NOT good!
The wowinterface UI Manager needs a lot of work before it becomes useful, I feel.

At the moment, I update manually.
10-23-08, 04:56 PM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by saanlem View Post
I have found that Curse Client will also update to alpha or beta versions... NOT good!
It only updates beta versions if you have that options selected, iirc. Alpha versions are off limits to Curse Client (from wowace anyway) as you can only get those manually via an svn client. For the good of the general user-base.

The wowinterface UI Manager needs a lot of work before it becomes useful, I feel.
We know this and agree. Which is why it is currently being rewritten.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-24-08, 10:22 PM   #6
Boedicia
A Fallenroot Satyr

Updater's

In my humble opinion. Curse Client is completely crap! It always updates addons that i have not got in my folder anymore. and puts them back there. This program annoys the hell out of me.

The WowInterface updater, i have not tried.

Wow UI Updater isn't all that good either as it does the same as Curse Client.

The only one at that i think is good enough for me to use at the mo is WowMatrix.

WowAceupdater was in fact the best updater out there. Until for some strange reason they merged with curse, which in my opinion is a crap site with a crap layout and a very crap updater to say the least!

Site-wise, I'd say WoW interface has the best layout by far.

If you want to use an updater that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out in the end. I'd highly suggest WowMatrix.

P.S: If any moderator of this site is reading this. Please make an updater just like wowace. I assure you...EVERYONE will want to use it and we'd all say 'bye bye curse.com' and not miss it.
10-24-08, 10:31 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If you want to see this site (and Curse, wowui, etc) and the authors happy, you wouldn't use wowmatrix.

With CurseClient, since it doesn't scan and manage your addons folder, you need to delete/remove an addon from within CurseClient for it to know that it's gone.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-24-08, 10:40 PM   #8
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
using wowmatrix will ensure addon sites go out of business. They use our bandwidth and display ads of their own giving us nothing in return. I understand why people like it over the other patchers and shirik is planning on a major over haul of the wowi ui manager.

Last edited by Dolby : 10-24-08 at 10:46 PM.
10-25-08, 09:50 AM   #9
Boedicia
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
If you want to see this site (and Curse, wowui, etc) and the authors happy, you wouldn't use wowmatrix.

With CurseClient, since it doesn't scan and manage your addons folder, you need to delete/remove an addon from within CurseClient for it to know that it's gone.
Yes, but its very anoying deleting a whole bunch of addons every time i get a new ui. The curse updater doesnt even let u delete unsused savedvariables.

So many people i know use wowmatrix which i didn't know was a bad thing until now. I think that people only started to use that since wowaceupdater stopped. So i guess the only way to get people to stop using it is to make an updater as good as wowace, or better.
10-25-08, 01:28 PM   #10
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I, for one, certainly do not want an updater that does not scan my addons!

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Curse updater - couple of questions