11-10-08, 01:46 AM   #21
Kleo
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by rcdyer1984 View Post
The uploaders of compilations that are not filed under the suites category don't redistribute addons under their own name. I don't understand how that is a confusing concept for you.
What my statement meant that the compilation is filed under the person's name. I did not say that the add-on itself is now under the compiler's name. Please don't patronise, I am not confused. It's like Mazzle is known under Mazzle's name, people don't refer to the individual addons. If your suite gets popular, the compilation author's name is the one that's known, not necessarily the authors of the original add-ons.
11-10-08, 04:44 PM   #22
break19
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Lykofos View Post
Its been this way for as far back as I have been using PCs and freeware/shareware software (which has been a very long time indeed). Yes, I am a grizzled old geek who cut his teeth on DOS and BASIC (on old
README.NOW
^^

YOU'RE old?

LOAD "*",8,1

^ thats oldschool.

Now.. I specifically state that -anything- I release is public domain, and therefore is free for anyone to use, distribute, even claim as their own, if they want to do that.

However, I also respect the wishes of other authors. If I see a license.txt file, I read it, if I see a readme, I read it. If it says "Ask before distributing" Then I either: a) ask. b) tell the other person "I found it here, go get it"

break19
11-10-08, 05:24 PM   #23
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by break19 View Post
Now.. I specifically state that -anything- I release is public domain, and therefore is free for anyone to use, distribute, even claim as their own, if they want to do that.

However, I also respect the wishes of other authors. If I see a license.txt file, I read it, if I see a readme, I read it. If it says "Ask before distributing" Then I either: a) ask. b) tell the other person "I found it here, go get it"

break19
I support this message.
11-10-08, 05:31 PM   #24
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

README.NOW
What I do if I want to ensure that they read it... NakedMenAndBicycles.txt

Trust me, they read it out of simple curiosity rofl.
11-10-08, 06:35 PM   #25
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
LOAD "*",8,1

^ thats oldschool.
On a totally unrelated note, LOAD "" is even more oldschool than that

Problem was, you had to start the tape recorder, go make some meal, drink some coffee, do the dishes before the program would actually load, that is assuming you didn't come back to be greeted by an R Tape Loading Error message indicating that you had just wasted your time

I need to dig up that Spectrum at some point, for old times sake
11-16-08, 07:13 PM   #26
Benea
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Whoops. Gotcha. I changed the BF_Caith on my compilation to BF_Rothar (he didn't have any licensing note anywhere so I'm assuming it's ok). I rechecked all the addons I have and yours was the only one with that restriction (everything else was GNU, carbonite had a huge lawyer speak document though) so was easy enough to change it. More than half of the addons that had licensing information had license.txt and not readme btw, and more than half of all the addons I use didn't have any licensing preference/information.

Last edited by Benea : 11-16-08 at 07:26 PM.
11-17-08, 05:27 PM   #27
StormFX
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I'm working on a "custom" license file. That should end any confusion. Also, for those that asked for something on converting skins to Button Facade, I'm sorry it's taking so long but I'm trying to write an in-depth guide.
11-18-08, 03:32 AM   #28
Psoewish
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Well honestly, I never read a readme unless I'm having some issues, then the readme is the first place to check.

HOWEVER, when I would plan on actually uploading other people's work as a compilation of addons, I'd check the readme of every single addon to make sure it's allowed. And even if it would be allowed without explicit permission, I'd still drop the original author a note saying I used his addon for a compilation of mine.

It's just common sense to me to do that. Though I do agree with people not reading the readme for general use, I don't when people want to redistribute. It's only common sense to be sure you're allowed to do such a thing first.

Making a separate license.txt won't hurt though, that'll save both you and the lazy compilation authors some trouble in the end.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Dear Compilation Authors