11-12-08, 08:07 AM   #1
Kusasi
A Defias Bandit
Current situation with WoWMatrix

Hi guys,

First off, I apologise for perhaps digging up something you may wish to not discuss again. I recently read the topic "Why WoWMatrix is bad..." and found myself very much sided with the feelings of the mod authors. I'm not a mod author myself, but certainly an avid user of them.

I regularly listen to 'The Instance' podcast and on a recent episode there were a couple of quick remarks about how they loved WoWMatrix and so I felt compelled to send them an email just directing them to that topic and why WoWMatrix is seen as an unethical program which isn't complimentary to the development and distribution side of mods. I don't know if they'll discuss it on the show or not because the new one hasn't come around yet but I found that a discussion is already underway on their forums and I've been involved in it a fair bit.

I'm in no way nominating myself as a spokesperson or anything like that, I've linked to a couple of topics on this website to explain why WoWMatrix is unethical and my personal opinion of it.

At the start of the "Why WoWMatrix is bad..." topic it was explained how WoWMatrix doesn't display author names or descriptions of files, and since then I believe they have now implemented that, but the issue of bandwidth of course still remains. So I'm wondering what the general feeling is on WoWMatrix now? Do authors still feel just as upset about WoWMatrix as always? I imagine WoWInterface staff would still feel just as annoyed about bandwidth issues?

The link to the topic is here for your interest. Apologies again if I'm digging up something you'd rather not talk about.

11-12-08, 08:58 AM   #2
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

WoWmatrix is bad, because it steals bandwidth... end of story. Dead horse is dead, if we don't like WoWmatrix stealing our bandwidth, fix it so they can't. If the members of the community can't be bothered by logging in to download a mod, then don't download the mod.

Someone please, for the sake of all that is good in this world, bury this dead horse. It is stinking and I see ghosts.

11-12-08, 09:44 AM   #3
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm locking this topic as a thread already exists for it, and it offers no new productive content.

Please keep posts regarding this "issue" confined to that thread. (Personally, I would rather people just dropped the topic altogether, as it's been said time and time again already, but who am I to say what you can and can't talk about....)

-- Shirik
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Current situation with WoWMatrix