04-28-10, 06:30 PM   #1
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Help: Frame:SetBackdrop() "crashes" WoW

i have code like the following:
Code:
local SML = LibStub("LibSharedMedia-3.0")

local backdropTable =
{
	bgFile = SML:Fetch("background", bgName),
	-- edgeSize = 16,
	edgeFile = SML:Fetch("border", edgeName),
	insets = { left = 4, right = 4, top = 4, bottom = 4 },
}

frame:SetBackdrop(backdropTable)
bgName and edgeName are initialized with identifiers for suitable stuff inside of LibSharedMedia-3.0 (and valid references to texture/edge files within the addon space are returned and used). this code fragment is applied to various relevant pieces of nameplates (like the nameplate health bar). this basically works (it doesn't look very good, without an edgeSize value, but it functions).

however, if uncomment the "edgeSize" element of backdropTable, everything looks great... but the WoW Client experiences intermittent hard crashes, when any nameplates are visible. virtually always this will be with an error code of "132" (the (in)famous "#132 crash"). very occasionally (maybe one crash out of 20+), it will crash without any error code whatsoever (the WoW client will just disappear without warning). i can go hours without a crash, or i can crash within a few seconds of entering the game world. the invariant is that nameplates have to be visible.

i think i have narrowed this issue down very tightly, to the "single line of code" that seems to induce the problem: specifying any sort of edgeSize along with any sort of edgeFile (i.e. even an edgeSize of 0 seems to cause the problem). specifying any edgeSize with a edgeFile of "nil" seems to make the problem go away. specifying an edgeFile with no edgeSize seems to make the problem go away. specifying (or not) other pieces of backdropTable (like tile and tileSize) has no effect on the problem.

this problem started specifically with WoW 3.3.3, when Texture:SetTexCoordModifiesRect() was removed.

regardless of the ultimate cause (Blizzard bug, or whatever), i am really just interested in a workaround (if any). but at this point i am stumped. the only thing i can think of to do is disable borders entirely.

if anyone has any ideas, or even just wild guesses, i would be very happy to hear them .
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"
04-28-10, 06:35 PM   #2
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

What are the details of the texture used? I had a crash problem with a 8x8 texture, but with a 64x64 texture it was fixed.
04-28-10, 06:53 PM   #3
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
edit: had some MPQs already unpacked. the default tooltip border is 128x16 BLP, and the gold and silver dialog borders are 256x32 BLP. i am desperate enough to try converting my TGAs into BLPs, and changing the resolution to 256x32, but i don't have a lot of confidence that any of that will affect this problem .

Originally Posted by nightcracker View Post
What are the details of the texture used? I had a crash problem with a 8x8 texture, but with a 64x64 texture it was fixed.
these are "edge files", actually, not strictly "textures" (though that might not matter if they have somehow become "corrupt"). however, i can get these crashes to happen with Blizzard default border artwork as well (i.e. stuff referenced from inside the MPQs).

one of the edge files i use is the SharedMedia "Roth Square" border (a 128x16 TGA; filename "roth.tga"). the other edge file i use is distributed with Skinner (also a 128x16 TGA; filename "krsnik.tga"). i would have to rummage the MPQs for Blizzard artwork (though i expect they are the same: 128x16, either TGA or BLP). (aside: edge files are normal WoW texture files that must be 8x wider than they are high; described here).

these TGA files appear to be perfectly well formed (as "edge files"). and the artwork itself functions properly... right up until WoW crashes. finally, both of these TGA files "worked" perfectly for many months (years?) before WoW 3.3.3 arrived.

Last edited by acapela : 04-28-10 at 07:01 PM.
04-28-10, 06:57 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What happens if you use :SetBackdrop() "normally"? (ie, you put the table right in the function instead of passing a variable - same with the file paths)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-28-10, 07:03 PM   #5
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
this code resulted in a #132 crash:
Code:
backdropFrame:SetBackdrop( { insets = { left = inset, right = inset, top = inset, bottom = inset, }, edgeFile = edgeFile, edgeSize = 16, bgFile = texture, } )
i am now testing this code (i.e. same code, just with no edgeSize):
Code:
backdropFrame:SetBackdrop( { insets = { left = inset, right = inset, top = inset, bottom = inset, }, edgeFile = edgeFile, bgFile = texture, } )
this will take a while. given that the crashes are intermittent, proving the negative (by not crashing) can take hours/days.

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
What happens if you use :SetBackdrop() "normally"? (ie, you put the table right in the function instead of passing a variable - same with the file paths)
i.e. create the table anonymously inline, per the example for Frame:SetBackdrop() on WoWWiki?

i will try that, and update when i have some findings.

Last edited by acapela : 04-28-10 at 07:31 PM.
04-28-10, 07:30 PM   #6
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by acapela View Post
i.e. create the table anonymously inline, per the example for Frame:SetBackdrop() on WoWWiki?

i will try that, and update when i have some findings.
Correct, and also try hardcoding the paths in rather than going through SML.
04-28-10, 07:34 PM   #7
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
edit, this code crashes (looks correct graphically, but eventually crashes):

Code:
frame:SetBackdrop( { insets = { left = 4, right = 4, top = 4, bottom = 4, },
			edgeSize = 16, edgeFile = [[Interface\Addons\Aloft\Textures\krsnik]],
			bgFile = [[Interface\AddOns\Forte_Core\Textures\Minimalist]], } )
in this case, it was the only "border" i was applying anywhere on the nameplate, specifically to the health bar. i will experiment without the "edgeSize" table member.

Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
Correct, and also try hardcoding the paths in rather than going through SML.
i will do that as well, though i fetch from SharedMedia on each initialization (i am not caching any of the resulting paths). this means the path would have to be corrupt in SharedMedia... or corrupted between the point i fetch it and the point i use it. i guess stranger things have happened, though.

Last edited by acapela : 04-28-10 at 08:01 PM.
04-28-10, 08:57 PM   #8
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
hmm, i also try to clear nameplate borders when nameplates are hidden (due to unit death or range). "de-initialization". i am going to disable all of that code, just to make sure... and then repeat some of this testing. would be funny (and par for the course) for me to be barking up the wrong tree all this time.

if that fails, i will "hardcode" both ends (initialization and de-initialization), as Seerah/Shadowed have suggested, and proceed from there.
04-28-10, 08:58 PM   #9
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
edit, this code crashes (looks correct graphically, but eventually crashes):

Code:
frame:SetBackdrop( { insets = { left = 4, right = 4, top = 4, bottom = 4, },
			edgeSize = 16, edgeFile = [[Interface\Addons\Aloft\Textures\krsnik]],
			bgFile = [[Interface\AddOns\Forte_Core\Textures\Minimalist]], } )
in this case, it was the only "border" i was applying anywhere on the nameplate, specifically to the health bar. i will experiment without the "edgeSize" table member.

i will do that as well, though i fetch from SharedMedia on each initialization (i am not caching any of the resulting paths). this means the path would have to be corrupt in SharedMedia... or corrupted between the point i fetch it and the point i use it. i guess stranger things have happened, though.
When you say eventually crashes, what are you doing and is it only nameplates? For example, what if you create a normal dummy frame and center it on your screen, will the game eventually crash. Or how about if you just look at a nameplate of a NPC who never moves for an hour, will the game crash then or is it fine. Also, did the issue only start in 3.3.3 due to needing a new way of doing Texture:SetTexCoordModifiesRect(), or has your code for backdrops not changed and it only started with 3.3.3.

The reason for asking you to try the straight path is just narrowing down what could be causing it. It's a lot easier to post something in the UI forums about X bug if you've eliminated most of the causes and can give a quick test case.

hmm, i also try to clear nameplate borders when nameplates are hidden (due to unit death or range). "de-initialization". i am going to disable all of that code, just to make sure... and then repeat some of this testing. would be funny (and par for the course) for me to be barking up the wrong tree all this time.

if that fails, i will "hardcode" both ends (initialization and de-initialization), as Seerah/Shadowed have suggested, and proceed from there.
Ultimately, the UI/addons should not be able to hard crash the game like that. So even if it's due to some odd code combination, it's still worth reporting.
04-29-10, 03:57 PM   #10
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
at this point, it is looking increasingly as if my "reset the border on nameplate hide" functionality (aka "de-initialization", trying to disable border graphics on a nameplate as the WoW client recycles it, so that when it is used again it does not have a border) is what is/was causing this problem.

i put all the original border control code back in (i.e. the code we were fiddling with in this thread), but left the "de-initialization" code disabled, and i have not been able to produce a crash under any circumstances.

so it appears that changing the backdropTable on elements associated with a nameplate that is in the process of being hidden is a "no-no". however, it appears i can safely set the border color to something with 0 (zero) alpha while the nameplate is being hidden (which should have the same basic effect).

all the other symptoms related to nameplate initialization (using edgeSize and etc) definitely interacted with the problem, and unfortunately Aloft is indeed able to crash the WoW client intermittently by engaging in some/all of these things, but i think the workaround is not to reset the backdropTable on a nameplate that is in the process of being hidden. (like the old Henny Youngman joke about the man who goes to the doctor.)

anyway, thanks very much to all who contributed. it was all worth doing. if the problem crops up again, i will pick up where your suggestions left off .
04-29-10, 05:28 PM   #11
Shadowed
Premium Member
Featured
To clarify, you are doing this to replicate:

1) Setting any sort of edgeSize with a texture
2) Remove the backdrop OnHide
3) Wait and the game will crash?
04-29-10, 06:15 PM   #12
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
To clarify, you are doing this to replicate:

1) Setting any sort of edgeSize with a texture
2) Remove the backdrop OnHide
3) Wait and the game will crash?
correct...

as it turns out, there are a few things that i can do (in the game) that seem to exercise the problem more quickly (so that i don't have to wait as long for the game to crash). examples: opening the "Nerub'ar Victim" cocoons just outside of Warsong Hold (which drops one nameplate and raises another in rapid succession), or doing an Auctioneer "getall" and then panning the camera around the AH continuously while it runs. i am guessing this sort of thing induces a rapid sort of OnHide/OnShow workflow within the client that is particularly favorable to exercising this problem.

anyway, i did a total of a couple of hours worth of these things late last night and today (after returning to setting an edgeSize, more in line with my "original" OnShow backdrop processing... and after disabling the OnHide backdrop processing), and i did not see a crash. before this, usually it was a matter of minutes (sometimes mere seconds) before i saw a crash.

so, i can't "prove" that disabling the OnHide backdrop processing constitutes a workaround, but at the moment it looks like things are much more stable. i will continue testing, of course... and i promise to come whinging back here if the crashes resume . once i have done some more testing, and my confidence in this specific workaround grows, i will also go provide a summary of this on the Blizzard support forums.
05-18-10, 01:41 PM   #13
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
quick update: one of my users found a WoWWiki "guide" on #132 errors, which is here.

now armed with some notion of how to analyze these crash dumps, and looking at my backlog of crashes, i can verify that all of Aloft's crashes did indeed occur down in Frame:SetBackdrop(). looking at other addon-related causes for crashes, there were even more caused by Frame:SetBackdrop(), attributed to Ace3.

these errors come in a couple of different forms (based on stack traces, one form is attributed to C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll and the other attributed to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll... both driven by Frame:SetBackdrop()). seems 64-bit-related to me, and they seem to occur with very similar stack traces, when they occur. indeed, i am running Windows Vista 64 "Ultimate" SP2.

i will update further if i discover anything more that can "meaningfully" characterize this problem.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Help: Frame:SetBackdrop() "crashes" WoW