10-01-08, 07:12 PM   #1
Mita
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
WowAce - Curse - WUU Updater - Future?

Ok I use WUU to update 4 guild mod packs as well as My addons and my wifes.

This program makes my duties doable.

I have been looking at the changes and i am worried. What is the future hold?

Not everything is available on Wowui. I honestly don't trust Curse. Feels way to commercial.

Not trying to start a flame war. I just want advice.
10-01-08, 11:03 PM   #2
MoonWitch
A Firelord
Well, WAU doesn't work anymore. Files.wowace.com won't either.

The new CurseClient is the only on supported for the addons on curse and wowace. You can get them one by one manually, or use the client. The client will have a premium and free version. From what I've read, the premium client would allow you to grab an API key which then can be used in alternative updaters, but the api for all that hasn't been written. So, without meaning to sound harsh (believe me, but there's no other way of putting it.) you can use the CurseClient, do it manual or not. We all just have to deal with it.

Although I am furiously hoping that the projects pages at wowace will offer a way to download it too, if not, you could try to grab it through SVN and git.
10-01-08, 11:04 PM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Just remember that if you are using the CurseClient you accept the fact that it auto-updates itself whether you want to or not and auto-submits game info to their site, just as authors have to accept that if they upload to Ace their mod is on Curse now too whether they want it there or not.
10-01-08, 11:07 PM   #4
MoonWitch
A Firelord
And it will auto-install an addon to monitor your addons while in game. It's also known to pull addons that you didn't install, addons that share similar names but may not be the same.

Well known example: Tekkub's Panda and some other panda. It will get overwritten.
10-01-08, 11:16 PM   #5
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

...It's "Curse"-ed, what do you expect?
10-02-08, 12:30 AM   #6
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
In regards to the "it installed an addon i didnt want it to", the solution is simple when opening the client, click on configuration go to Addon Settings and untick reinstall new addons. Problem solved.

10-02-08, 12:51 AM   #7
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
I'm not going to even touch the issues with auto-updating/privacy concerns or even the CurseProfiler which isn't an optional installation component but rather made an optional component to uninstall (after is has been installed ). All of this has already been mentioned weeks ago, in the relevant WoWAce thread. Some things have changed for the better, some have stayed the same.

The main problem with the curse client is the fact that its matching system is pretty messed at the moment, which makes it pretty unreliable since there is no way of knowing whether the addon installed is actually a valid/updated version or some random addon with the same name that hasn't been updated since WoW 1.0, yet for some obscure reason, hasn't been nuked from the database. If you have to constantly check the integrity of your ..\Interface\Addons folder, keep compressed backups out of fear that X updater may ruin everything in the next update, then really, what's the point of using an updater. Better off just SVN checking out the addons you want, or doing it the traditional way through site downloads.
10-02-08, 01:37 AM   #8
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
Although I am furiously hoping that the projects pages at wowace will offer a way to download it too, if not, you could try to grab it through SVN and git.
You can download from the projects page. Select the project you wish to grab, then at the top of the page select the "Files" tab. Then from the list select the file you want to downland (the most recent commits are at the top), then finally in the Actions box on the next page, select Download.

Yes, its three clicks to download one file. I don't know why they just don't have a list of the three most recent files on the project's front page with a direct link to the file in question. However this seems to be the CurseForge/WoWAce works now (and the way Curse v.3 has always worked). I prefer WoWInterface's layout. One page, with the download link on the first page.
10-02-08, 03:53 AM   #9
Mita
A Fallenroot Satyr
ok then what is to stop people from just not using them. Wow interface may be the way to go for all your addons.
10-02-08, 10:35 AM   #10
saanlem
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I use wowmatrix, because it works. All the other updaters have issues. I just want updated addons.
10-02-08, 11:02 AM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Please see this thread about wowmatrix: http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=18358
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

10-02-08, 12:52 PM   #12
Mita
A Fallenroot Satyr
WUU was not affiliated with wowace and was not WAU. It supported Wowinterface, wowace, curse and some direct websites. I am comfortable with it. I assume it still works here. No idea on support for other 2 places.

If wowmatrix can get the files why not WUU?
10-02-08, 02:05 PM   #13
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Mita View Post
WUU was not affiliated with wowace and was not WAU. It supported Wowinterface, wowace, curse and some direct websites. I am comfortable with it. I assume it still works here. No idea on support for other 2 places.

The only site that WUU will not be able to pull from at this time will be WoWAce/CurseForge (and possibly Curse itself). The other sites such as WoWI, Norganna's addons (Auctioneer, etc.), etc should still work.

In the future, Curse Premium subscribers MAY be able to use the updater of their choice once Curse releases the API needed for access to their servers. To the best of my knowledge the APIs have not been released and I would imagine it will be a while before we see it. Again only Curse Premium subscibers will have access since you have to log into Curse to use the update services. Non Premium users will have to use the free version of the Curse Client or download and extract manually.

It sucks, but that is the things will be for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Zyonin : 10-02-08 at 02:08 PM.
10-02-08, 03:09 PM   #14
Mita
A Fallenroot Satyr
Well lets hope wowace authors move to wowinterface. I always feel safer here than curse.
10-02-08, 03:11 PM   #15
dafire
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Just remember that if you are using the CurseClient you accept the fact that it auto-updates itself whether you want to or not and auto-submits game info to their site, just as authors have to accept that if they upload to Ace their mod is on Curse now too whether they want it there or not.
well.. i think that's a bit harsh. I don't like the curse client and I don't use it, but I looked over it yesterday.

There is a option to enable/disable autoupdate of the curse client

From what I saw it does not submit anything to their page yet, but I guess they will put that in again.

I think authors still can choose if they want to upload their addons to wowace/curse, and they can remove their addons if they want. I guess the bill of the wowace hosting was paid by curse for some time now, so it's not really a change just now it's more official.
10-02-08, 04:19 PM   #16
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

just as authors have to accept that if they upload to Ace their mod is on Curse now too whether they want it there or not.
When did that happen ?! My interwebs has been broked for a while, so I have no idea what's going on.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
10-02-08, 05:55 PM   #17
Mita
A Fallenroot Satyr
I was just on the curse forums and was reading the threads there. Looks like people are not happy.

Would be a great time for wowinterface to win market share.

Convice ace authors to move over.

Ok I am looking out for myself.... But would fix things.
10-02-08, 06:08 PM   #18
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

authors have to accept that if they upload to Ace their mod is on Curse now too whether they want it there or not.
For real? Addon authors have no say if they want their addon removed from Curse... Curse will not remove it?
10-02-08, 08:07 PM   #19
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Didn't say that. Said that if your mods are on Ace, they are on CurseForge/Curse too. If you don't want them on there you have to request them to be removed. Kinda like when the cable companies would give you a package deal without telling you, charge you for it, then you having to deliberately opt-out if you didn't want it and didn't want to be charged for it.

The entire viewpoint of our site is pretty obvious by now. We believe in opt-in, not opt-out.
10-02-08, 09:29 PM   #20
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Mita View Post
Because the author of WUU doesn't believing in using a battery ram to break into the building that houses the addons like the author of Wowmatrix does.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WowAce - Curse - WUU Updater - Future?