06-24-07, 04:27 PM   #1
limamole
A Defias Bandit
Mining Sound Mod

I am pretty sure that this can't be done because Blizz would not want this to be possible but: I would like a mod that makes a sound everytime that a found node appears on my radar. I have gatherer and would like a sound mod that would make a ping or beep sound when i find a node in my radar that is available for mining. Let me know if you can do this or if there is already a mod out there for this.
06-24-07, 05:06 PM   #2
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
seconding this

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
06-24-07, 07:13 PM   #3
kedesai
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
that shouldnt be hard, even better, it could go off every time a quest ender/mine thign is seen on 'dar
06-24-07, 08:17 PM   #4
RogueShadow
A Fallenroot Satyr
That is a good idea.

It's not that bad is it? When a tracking skill see's a node, beep.
06-24-07, 08:37 PM   #5
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

For the requests I have seen in the past about this the answers were it is not possible. WoW sends the texture for the minimap with the nodes (yellow dots) already on it so you cannot use it to detect them. You should be able to get a sound when you mouse over a node, but that pretty much means you already know it is there

It would be nice if someone could confirm this
06-24-07, 10:03 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That is what I have heard as well Kaomie. Lots of people have requested something like this and if it were possible, it would be done 10 times over by now...
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-24-07, 10:26 PM   #7
limamole
A Defias Bandit
In that case, couldn't a way be found to have it ping off everytime you get near a possible mining site, even if you dont have it marked on gatherer? But that would get way too annoying. There has to be some workaround. There has to be an action that causes the yellow dot to appear, even if it is a proximity based change. I know nothing about WoW interfaces but something must be possible.
06-24-07, 11:01 PM   #8
Laslo
Premium Member
Premium Member
I think the problem you are going to run into, in Blizzard's view, would be that this wouldn't be fair in pvp situations. Not for mining, but for the other tracks. If you can do it for mining, you could do it for Track Humanoids. If you get an audible ping when a rogue pops out of stealth, even for a second, then the person tracking humans knows they are nearby, even if they aren't watching the minimap. That's a pretty big nerf in rogue's eyes.

Not saying I agree, and I'm not saying it makes sense, but I think that's what Blizz would say.

Personally, I would love this. But as Seerah said, if it could be done, it would be. Multiple times.
06-24-07, 11:32 PM   #9
limamole
A Defias Bandit
Well, when popping in and out of stealth there are addons that will send a text message across the screen letting you know that stealth has been broken or that a spell or trinket or ability is being used or has expired. Since the only relation of people to the minimap is the golden spot when a quest can be turned in then I dont see how Blizz would have a problem with this.

The only reason that I think this is somehow possible is that you can go over an area several times and not see a mining node available, but when it does show up there has to be some detection relationship between Find Minerals and the minimap that can be used.
06-25-07, 12:25 AM   #10
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by limamole
The only reason that I think this is somehow possible is that you can go over an area several times and not see a mining node available, but when it does show up there has to be some detection relationship between Find Minerals and the minimap that can be used.
The fact that WoW provides that information from the server to the client does not mean that the client provides that information for add-ons to use. Unfortunately, there is no passive or active mechanism in the WoW API for add-ons to detect nodes appearing on the map. Since this is an intentional design choice by Blizzard, I think your only recourse is to request such functionality in the UI and Macros forum. I seriously doubt they would do so for some of the reasons cited by other posters.
01-25-09, 09:02 AM   #11
bcypher
A Kobold Labourer
that thing about gatherer: the texture is being changed as soon as you are in range, independend from the existence of a grinding-spot.
01-25-09, 10:35 AM   #12
Fugainai
An Aku'mai Servant

The texture changing is an overlay done by Gatherer onto the minimap, not a manipulation of the minimap itself.
01-25-09, 11:59 AM   #13
Elloria
An Onyxian Warder

I think the only way possible to do this is through a 3rd party addon, in which someone already made. When blizzard found out about the thread they quickly deleted his thread and probably banned him (haven't seen him post since) Its just something they don't allow to be done. Its part of the api that they haven't give us access to.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Mining Sound Mod