10-14-10, 05:31 AM   #1
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Healing without healbot

My healer is a newly leveled toon and I have never healed without healbot. Yes, it was supposed to be updated for the patch but in practice the bars are not showing for anyone in my realm. How do I heal anything without healbot? I have no idea how it was done before healbot and am at a total loss.
10-14-10, 05:38 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I have actually been healing with mouseover macros for a while now so that I am not reliant on addons but thats pure choice

But yes, some of my guildies who have used healbot are now having problems. Needless to say so far the only ones who have been healing recently have been the 2 of us that use mouseover healing

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover][help,nodead] Healing Wave

Is an example of one from memory that I would use on my shammy.
10-14-10, 05:55 AM   #3
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Another way you can go that's more Healbot-like would be to install the latest Clique and utilize the Grid-like new Raid Frames, and check the option to use the Raid Frames for Party Frames too.

It's not the fanciest way to go, but it's an option that works for now.
10-14-10, 06:03 AM   #4
Semistra
A Kobold Labourer
Another good healing mod which is up to date and will do all mouseovers and key bind heals as well as buff reminders is Vuhdo.

Been using this mod for a while and been very good and is kept up to date.
10-14-10, 06:09 AM   #5
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
As the author of Clique, I highly recommend it. You choose whatever unit frames you want, and use Clique to configure your click/key/hover bindings to any spells or actions that you want or need. For what it's worth.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
10-14-10, 11:04 AM   #6
Taryble
A Molten Giant

The nicest part about using Clique is that I can use any raid frames or party frames that I want to, and I don't have to set up the click-healing for each frames addon individually. :-) So my click-binds are the same when using StUF for Party frames, or the new Raid Frames, or StUFRaid frames, or... whatever. :-)
10-14-10, 11:41 AM   #7
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Taryble View Post
The nicest part about using Clique is that I can use any raid frames or party frames that I want to, and I don't have to set up the click-healing for each frames addon individually. :-) So my click-binds are the same when using StUF for Party frames, or the new Raid Frames, or StUFRaid frames, or... whatever. :-)
This is also true for simple mouse over macros, though.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

10-14-10, 11:48 AM   #8
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Absolutely true, but Clique requires no action buttons whatsoever. They're both certainly valid, but someone who is used to healbot will be more likely to be comfortable with Clique, methinks.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
10-14-10, 02:22 PM   #9
Cyn325
A Theradrim Guardian

Healium is a really simple healing addon that I like. I don't normally play healers but with it even I can actually manage to heal if need be. My daughter has 4 different healing classes & used to heal without any addons (you know, the hard way) and she loves it. She thinks it makes it twice as easy to heal. Her healers are pali, priest (prefers dps on that one), shaman & druid (yeah I know that pretty much covers them all, she actually plays all classes). I'm not sure if it was here or curse I found it though. I think it may have been curse. It has already been updated for 4.0.1 over on curse. My daughter tried healbot & actually thought it was harder to use than healing without any addons at all.
10-14-10, 02:27 PM   #10
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

Try VuhDo - it works quite the same and is very configurable.

The other alternatives are also just as valid, but this mod is very much like healbot.

"I will crush and destroy and...ooo...shiny..."

10-14-10, 08:12 PM   #11
Moonroc
A Murloc Raider

FWIW - just updated to new healbot that has been released for Cata - haven't tried it out yet, but the update is there...
10-14-10, 08:39 PM   #12
Vidster
A Kobold Labourer
Originally Posted by Moonroc View Post
FWIW - just updated to new healbot that has been released for Cata - haven't tried it out yet, but the update is there...
I've been using it all night. It works fine
10-15-10, 02:47 PM   #13
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Gave Vuhdo a try and it is really nice. My permanently replace healbot with it. My big issue now though is all the ungodly lag.
10-15-10, 02:48 PM   #14
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Cladhaire View Post
Absolutely true, but Clique requires no action buttons whatsoever. They're both certainly valid, but someone who is used to healbot will be more likely to be comfortable with Clique, methinks.
Can I drag the frames from Clique around with my mouse?
10-15-10, 03:08 PM   #15
Gaidinward
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
I have actually been healing with mouseover macros for a while now so that I am not reliant on addons but thats pure choice

But yes, some of my guildies who have used healbot are now having problems. Needless to say so far the only ones who have been healing recently have been the 2 of us that use mouseover healing

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover][help,nodead] Healing Wave

Is an example of one from memory that I would use on my shammy.
Any way you could compile these into a list for those of us who really suck at anything to do with macros?
10-15-10, 03:15 PM   #16
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Clique doesn't have frames. You use it with whatever frames you have... like Pitbull, oUF, or whatnot. Basically you just open your spellbook and Clique will be a new tab on the side. If you wanna use Heal on your left mouse click, you just left click it in the spellbook and now it's bound. There's also a blacklist you can use if you want to not use any clickable heals on a specific unit frame. Like the Player and Player Target frames I don't use for heals so they're added to the blacklist.

As long as you have unit frames you can use Clique. I don't recommend Grid for the novice user. It's a huge pain in the ass to set up, and there's a bazillion different plugins to download with it. Just not worth it imho.
02-25-12, 04:07 AM   #17
Cowmonster
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Gaidinward View Post
Any way you could compile these into a list for those of us who really suck at anything to do with macros?
Okay making a big list of all the spells a healer may want to macro in this fashion would be very pointless, but maybe a little breakdown of the macro would help.

Code:
#showtooltip
/cast [condition] spell
The first line tells the button (if you use the big red question mark) to show the tooltip for the spell and the icon.

The second line is the line that casts the spell.

The breakdown of the second line is pretty simple. The first bit there /cast tells blizzard we are going to cast a spell. The second bit is the conditional statement which if true lets us proceed to casting our desired spell in part three.

The conditional statement(s) can be used individually or grouped together, so we can do something like:

Code:
#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,nodead,noharm,exists][] Healing Wave
In this macro the first conditional statement has several condition

@mouseover means we will be targetting the player or npc under our mouse pointer.
nodead the target can not be dead or the conditional statement fails.
noharm the target can not be hostile to us or the statement fails.
exists there has to be a target or the statement fails.

In the second statment [] there are no conditions whichs means it defaults to always true so if our first statement fails we will always still cast the spell on our default target.

This has all been a very convoluted way of saying replace Healing Wave with the name of the spell you wish to use and the rest of the macro will never change, but I hope at least some of the information helps you understand macros a little better.

Author of:
Equipped Average Item Level :: ExtraBar :: Killing Blow Emote :: RecordTip
02-25-12, 05:22 PM   #18
Phanx
Cat.

If you literally do not know how to heal without using Healbot, I would honestly recommend that you spend some time learning how to heal with any addons.

Put your healing spells on your action bar, and then either target someone and press the key bound to the heal you want to cast on them, or press the key bound to a spell and then click on the person you wasn't to cast it on. Practice on your alt in a low level dungeon.

Learning how to play without depending on an addon will make you a better player, and will save you from feeling lost and helpless because an addon author didn't put their life on hold to update their addon the second a new patch came out.
02-25-12, 10:31 PM   #19
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
*ahem* /me points to the date of the original posts in the thread.

"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-26-12, 12:40 AM   #20
Phanx
Cat.

Yeah, that text is too small to read on my phone... the thread just appeared on my New Posts list, so I assumed it was new. I don't understand how people like Cowmonster even find these threads, let alone why they think it's a good idea to post in them.

Probably, the forums should just auto-lock any thread that isn't posted to in 30 days.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Healing without healbot