03-23-09, 07:08 PM   #401
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
This is clearly your first time on the WoW Forums :P. Theres a reason I try to avoid those forums like the plague.
I always stuck to my realm forums, for the most part. It was a rather enjoyable experience, compared to other realm's forums I've been a part of. Guild recruitment forums also weren't that bad, when I used to have to recruit off realm. I tend to bash on trolls pretty hard in my normal environment, but I feel out of my element, to a degree, on the UI&Macros forums.

Has there been a blue post regarding any of this since the announcement? I'm really surprised I haven't seen one today.
03-23-09, 07:14 PM   #402
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-06-09 at 12:39 PM.
03-23-09, 07:16 PM   #403
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
I always stuck to my realm forums, for the most part. It was a rather enjoyable experience, compared to other realm's forums I've been a part of. Guild recruitment forums also weren't that bad, when I used to have to recruit off realm. I tend to bash on trolls pretty hard in my normal environment, but I feel out of my element, to a degree, on the UI&Macros forums.

Has there been a blue post regarding any of this since the announcement? I'm really surprised I haven't seen one today.
Haven't seen one, don't expect any until they've had some time to decide how to handle the outcry.
03-23-09, 07:27 PM   #404
spiel2001
nUI's Author

The new Bliz policy sucks.

(there, feel better Cairenn?)

PS: I still wanna see a kicking the cat smilie

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
03-23-09, 07:27 PM   #405
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

I found a reply on the o.boards that is actually good enough to warrant reposting over here...

New theory. Picture this: It's Friday, 3PM. You're tasked with coming up with a policy for addon development, but the rest of the legal team is heading out for mojitos. You scribble down some random garbage that sounds all legal but is vague enough to cover anything then go knock back a half-dozen before heading out for the rest of the evening, then the next thing you know it's Sunday afternoon and your underwear is over your head and a python is loose in the condo. You know how it goes
That's the problem with giving hunters snake traps.
03-23-09, 08:06 PM   #406
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
I found a reply on the o.boards that is actually good enough to warrant reposting over here...

New theory. Picture this: It's Friday, 3PM. You're tasked with coming up with a policy for addon development, but the rest of the legal team is heading out for mojitos. You scribble down some random garbage that sounds all legal but is vague enough to cover anything then go knock back a half-dozen before heading out for the rest of the evening, then the next thing you know it's Sunday afternoon and your underwear is over your head and a python is loose in the condo. You know how it goes
That's the problem with giving hunters snake traps.

So those where Blizz employees I was with over the weekend ????

It was a BIG python too...
03-23-09, 09:36 PM   #407
Tithulta
A Black Drake

I'm caught in the middle...i think...or maybe just confused

First read was a ..ummm...OH NO....I'm a carbonite subscriber...love it and depend on it. There are several addons I use from WoWinterface/curse and even wowui (rswapper). I want to THANK all Authors. I would ahve quit WoW long ago without some of the many addons you guys have produced over the last 3-4 years.

I also paid for Joana's guide and Brian Kopps. Some may dislike them, I quite like them for keeping me focused and not taken with wonderlust.

The policy is so vague there is no telling what will be the outcome. I hope they are reconsidering their stance. I hope they realize i LOATHE their UI. If forced to play without my fav addons I can always take my ball elsewhere to play. Besides its getting warm outside...there'll be more time to enjoy it.
03-23-09, 10:00 PM   #408
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I subscribe to carbonite as well ...

I just wish they would at least acnowledge the new changes .. at least tell their customers they are working on a solution and to give them some time ... something.

I check their forums everyday and Faatal is responding to all the other support threads .... just not responding to the several threads about the new policy.
03-23-09, 10:07 PM   #409
Scilia
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by ckknight View Post
I agree with most of the points except for

'5) Add-ons may not solicit donations.'

I have absolutely no intention to remove my donation buttons in my addons. I consider my buttons non-obtrusive and non-annoying.

Also, how do they really expect to enforce this? They could theoretically ban individual addons, but I really doubt they would.

Also, as someone who approves and denies addons on CurseForge and WowAce, how can we really enforce this on our end without opening up every single lua file?
oh, im sure they will come up with a way if it continues to be a problem, heck, look at their watch program..."submitting non personal system information". draw your own conclusions how they could alter that to scan for addons *shrugs*. which imo, it shouldnt, but, its part of the game unfortunately...but anyways, whats wrong with you having a donate button on your website? or a link in the readmefile with the addon?

all your doing by refusing to alter your program is nobody will use it, for fear of whatever bliz plans/wants to do (account termination, etc)

besides, theres nothing more annoying, more...idiotic (since its not hurting bliz, only users of the addon) than when your looking for a new version of a mod, and you get this :
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...pCalendar.html

stellar...

Last edited by Scilia : 03-23-09 at 10:13 PM.
03-23-09, 10:07 PM   #410
Kimmik
Support Addon Writers

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I subscribe to carbonite as well ...

I just wish they would at least acnowledge the new changes .. at least tell their customers they are working on a solution and to give them some time ... something.

I check their forums everyday and Faatal is responding to all the other support threads .... just not responding to the several threads about the new policy.
yeah I am waiting for a response to.... maybe they have an email into blizz... who knows... but I wish they would say something at the very least.
03-23-09, 11:00 PM   #411
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Kimmik View Post
yeah I am waiting for a response to.... maybe they have an email into blizz... who knows... but I wish they would say something at the very least.
If I were a betting man, I would say that they were making more than enough revenue from that addon to have hired a non-trivial lawyer who is now talking to Bliz's lawyers which is exactly why NEITHER party has said a word.

I think we all know who Bliz had a temper tantrum about and I know how much I'm making off of a silly little "please donate" message and (formerly -- not anymore) a "pro" version of nUI. I can't even begin to guess the green carbonite was rolling in.

I am more than certain both parties have been instructed by their legal teams to not utter one word on the subject until those two teams sort it out.

Just my $0.02

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/
03-23-09, 11:22 PM   #412
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Or it could just be, like I said, that people need to consider the fact that it was posted late on Friday, everyone that would be allowed to respond/give permission for others to respond was, oh, I don't know, having a life beyond work? over the weekend, and has spent today going through the page after page after page of post after thread after post on multiple sites, and need time to be able to respond?
03-23-09, 11:26 PM   #413
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

How much time does it take to read a 67 page thread? Seriously. ****ing slackers.
03-23-09, 11:33 PM   #414
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
If I were a betting man, I would say that they were making more than enough revenue from that addon to have hired a non-trivial lawyer who is now talking to Bliz's lawyers which is exactly why NEITHER party has said a word.
D'oh!

That is extremely plausible.

I think we all know who Bliz had a temper tantrum about and I know how much I'm making off of a silly little "please donate" message and (formerly -- not anymore) a "pro" version of nUI. I can't even begin to guess the green carbonite was rolling in.
I am curious. Would you mind sharing what kind of money is involved, at least on your scale? I recognize that's sorta private data, so feel free to tell me to bugger off. But I'm really curious. I honestly have no idea whether we're talking hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands.

I am more than certain both parties have been instructed by their legal teams to not utter one word on the subject until those two teams sort it out.

Just my $0.02
Very good insight.

(BTW, "Keeshtenahe" and "Timi" = me. You've been making some great points over in the other forums. Thanks for helping to keep the discussion reasonably sane.)
03-23-09, 11:33 PM   #415
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Tekkub ....

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-06-09 at 12:39 PM.
03-23-09, 11:35 PM   #416
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Do you have any good emoticons in your archives there?
03-23-09, 11:36 PM   #417
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Not that I post publicly.
03-23-09, 11:38 PM   #418
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Or it could just be, like I said, that people need to consider the fact that it was posted late on Friday, everyone that would be allowed to respond/give permission for others to respond was, oh, I don't know, having a life beyond work? over the weekend, and has spent today going through the page after page after page of post after thread after post on multiple sites, and need time to be able to respond?
While I agree with that in the case of Carbonite it has nothing to do about it being the weekend OR having a life other than Carbonite ... the Carbonite lead is reading and posting in other threads. They also removed the ad driven version as well.

Just be nice to pop in the "Future of Carbonite" thread and just say something ... if a legal team instructed them to say nothing then that's just somewhat stupid in my opinion. They don't need to give any news .. just say we saw the new policy and we are working on a solution ...

Ahh well .. life goes on ..
03-23-09, 11:40 PM   #419
seebs
Premium Member
Premium Member
Lawyers tend to be pretty firm on the "don't say anything" rule. Or possibly "don't say anything unless I approve it". Now, with my lawyer, that means "hey, let's go out for dinner, and you can vet my blog post about the stupid junk faxer". But in a more conventional attorney-client relationship, it costs MONEY to have them vet things.
03-23-09, 11:41 PM   #420
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by seebs View Post
Lawyers tend to be pretty firm on the "don't say anything" rule. Or possibly "don't say anything unless I approve it". Now, with my lawyer, that means "hey, let's go out for dinner, and you can vet my blog post about the stupid junk faxer". But in a more conventional attorney-client relationship, it costs MONEY to have them vet things.
I just figured it out... you're giving him sex aren't you? It all makes sense now.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » WoW UI AddOn Development Policy discussion thread