10-12-05, 11:32 PM   #1
Nulkris
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Exclamation New Version 1.0.100.4 Up

Hi guys,

Well I guess you've all been quiet playing with 1.8 things recently, I hope you are still interested in the designer. I have just uploaded a new version, it contains a fair number of new features, some to support 1.8 better (loads in the template files correctly, and has an option to disable schema checking on Blizzard files), and some for improving the lua editor experience.

I converted the lua parser into C#, so I have full access to syntax checking and knowledge about what is in a lua file. The first feature that this allows is a structure view of the lua file, including variables and functions (global and local). This is just basic for now, allowing you to double click and go to the definition of that variable/function but I have lots of stuff in mind for the parser (eg. full contextual auto-completion lists and calltips, and online syntax checking). If you find any valid Lua that does not seem to compile, then please attach it to a reply, thanks.

I am also messing with an api documentation file format defined by a schema provided. I have documented a few functions, and you will see the information in a tooltip if you hold the mouse over a documented function (for instance getmetatable() or LayoutFrame:Hide()). I don't know where it will go because I doubt I will have time to document a quarter of the functions available. I am also playing with the idea of supporting the Microsoft embedded documentation format, ie:

Code:
-- <summary>
--	The OnEvent handler for the Tutorial frame
-- </summary>
function TutOnEvent()
  if(event == "VARIABLES_LOADED") then
	DoStuff();
  end
end
It would provide similar information to the api information, but allow the documentation to be created on the fly in the loading process. Do you think anyone would use it?

I have also included a tutorial, please try it out and see if it works.

Thanks for testing

Last edited by Nulkris : 10-13-05 at 03:33 AM.
10-14-05, 09:15 AM   #2
KalZakath
A Murloc Raider
I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this

I'm a developer (in various languages/applications), and once I read the docs for the WoW API I couldn't resist taking a look. One of the first things that hit me was the lack of a UI Designer - I've found tools to extract and view the various Blizzard files, but nothing to actually lay out or edit a GUI (I'm presuming your designer does this, in addition to script editing?).

I thought about writing my own using .NET, but if someone else has already started the job I think my time is better spent breaking WoW... I mean trying out some code

Although I haven't used it yet, keep up the good work Nulkris (and anyone else involved) - I'm sure your testers will be appreciating the tool, and I know for sure lots of people would be using it after release! (I imagine many people are searching for such a tool right now )

Kalzakath
10-14-05, 11:48 AM   #3
Gaal
A Fallenroot Satyr
Must....have..... n..n..n..-dies-

On a serious note, I have a feeling this tool could even help make patch times less frustrating. This is by far the most frustrating of them as of yet, due to the massive number of no-longer-supported mods that I was using which worked up until this point. I've lost a lot of handy functionality.
10-14-05, 07:00 PM   #4
Thirsterhall
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The Structure Panal basicly can't handle Ace addons. When using Ace fuctions are defined as
Code:
function Addon:Dosomthing()
end
In the structure panel these get listed as
Addon:Addon()

Also I can't handle tables very well at all. For exampel the following
Code:
local Mytable={}

Mytable.Defaults = {
	count = 0,
}
Gets listed in the structure panel as
local Mytable
Mytable

It should be something like
local Mytable
+Mytable.Defaults
- count

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » New Version 1.0.100.4 Up