04-01-09, 01:29 AM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
More Upcoming 3.1 AddOn Changes

As you know, there are a number of UI changes coming with Content Patch 3.1. They’ve already given us a preview of the Talent Dual Specialization, Equipment Manager, and more. We've also reported on the new WoW UI AddOn Development Policy.

Now they've given us permission to show you an exclusive sneak peak of another big change coming to the UI community with Patch 3.1. In addition to all the other enhancements, Blizzard will be unveiling their new In-Game Addon Store. (In light of everything else that has gone on lately, it likely doesn't come as a surprise to any of you.) Working much like many other “app” programs (iTunes, iPhone Apps, etc), the WoW AddOn Store will allow users to buy addons directly from Blizzard, within WoW itself. Click on the image to the right to see a full sized screenshot of the AddOn Store in action.

Are you in a group and realize that you need a loot roll mod? Open up the AddOn Store, find one that looks good to you, buy it and start using it right away. Did you get invited on a raid and get told they require you to have a certain Boss Mod? Snag it quick through the AddOn Store and don’t get tossed from the raid.

No more will users be worrying that the AddOns they are using will get them banned. No more concerns about possible keyloggers, trojans or other malicious programs in your AddOns.

Authors will be required to send their AddOns to Blizzard for inclusion in the AddOn Store if they want them to be able to work in WoW. After Blizzard checks the AddOn and approves it for sale, they will add it to the Store. Authors will get 60% of the revenue generated by the sale of their addons, with Blizzard taking a 40% cut. You will notice on the screenshot that they will be giving some AddOns away for free. Any AddOns that they choose to give away for free, the author will get a one-time lump sum payment of $10 - $25, depending on the complexity of the AddOn. Any AddOn that isn't properly maintained and kept up to date with the Blizzard patches will be removed from the store and all payments to the author will cease.

Unfortunately, though, this will render WoWInterface (and all other WoW addon hosting sites) obsolete. We want to thank you all for all your support and for having let us be a part of your community for the last 5 years. You’ve all been a really great group of people to spend time with and we hope you’ll look us up on our other sites. We will be phasing the site out as the official store comes online. Hope to see you on down the road.

We'll give you more information on how it will all work (ie how to submit your AddOns to Blizzard for consideration for inclusion in the Store, etc) when they let us know.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04-01-09 at 02:01 AM.
04-01-09, 01:31 AM   #2
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
I must say it was a joy being part of the WoW AddOn community and I'm extremely saddened to see things go this route. We will keep the site running for as long as its useful but with the in game AddOn store our end is near.
04-01-09, 01:35 AM   #3
Neuro
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I am happy to see that Blizzard is now allowing direct purchase of addons with authors getting a cut. I feel that the announcement of such an important breakthrough for the addon community coming on such an auspicious date as today is by no means a coincidence, and I heartily approve this measure!

(Sadly, I almost wish this were true).
04-01-09, 01:38 AM   #4
Suxhi
A Kobold Labourer
Maybe a Aprils Fools joke?
04-01-09, 01:45 AM   #5
Prodigio
A Kobold Labourer

:(

I really hope it is an April Fools' day joke...
04-01-09, 01:51 AM   #6
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Cairenn, considering the most volatile atmosphere within the community following the new AddOn policy, I must say that this is the most awesome April Fool's joke in a long time.

It actually took me about three seconds to shake the "WTF" off.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
04-01-09, 01:51 AM   #7
Luzzifus
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Well prepared, but still I vote aprils fool.

Why? Oh c'mon there's Highroller in the screenshot, which itself was last years aprils fool!
04-01-09, 01:52 AM   #8
buffed
A Murloc Raider
great just great^^
04-01-09, 01:55 AM   #9
Dyspeptic
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Lol nice try. You almost had me, then my morning coffee kicked in and I remembered the date.
04-01-09, 02:01 AM   #10
Sunhead
A Murloc Raider
Just remember kids,
for some of us its well past midday when you posted this.
04-01-09, 02:02 AM   #11
Jeania
An Aku'mai Servant

I'm happy that addon authors will now be compensated... But... oh geez. I don't even know what to say...I feel so...

I've enjoyed hanging out with all of you...I'm horrified at Blizz... I'm going to miss you guys...god. I don't even know how to say how I feel at the moment. I know addon authors deserve comp... I'm on limited income though...

and..if I was able to pay the amounts that are up...I seriously don't think Blizz deserves a 40 percent cut for now allowing themselves to 'keep you guys' working even harder then before, to get a little bit of profit. I wonder how interaction between addon authors and the community is going to be...but it's not the same.

Plus, the ingenuity of some of the addons... they were created from imagination...artwork of the mind. And how do they deserve money from that? And those of you who slave over a ton of addons that you have so lovingly shared.... now you get to slave 'faster' and now will get QQ about people expect more because they 'paid' to get what you have created. We know that's going to happen.

I will buy the addons I can...but I know that I'm going to be missing so much. I can barely afford wow at times (yes, I'm not kidding) but I realize it's apart of something that keeps me occupied and...yes it allows the art and creativity in each of us to blossom. Even how we put your addons to use on our pages..lovingly adored and appreciated. And again, I DO agree that compensation..even while painful... I can understand that. For YOU guys.

Hell some of you have been working on these addons since vanilla, and now you have Blizz reaching into your pockets. Sure you'll make some money (I freaking hope) But...hell the hours you guys have put into it. And these are your work, your sweat, your joy and headaches. But congrats, Blizz is now saying, either fork it over, or your SOL. And don't forget, you have to be approved.

Again I love and adore each of you. I do hope >.< that perhaps the forums of WoWi continue (maybe) onto a freebie forums. But having them shuffled off into the main wow forums... That's just...worse.

Don't worry, I am going to try to do what I can to support. But...sometimes I do need groceries lol and stuff...so it's going to be a long road ahead of me to get my happy little gifts that are now being ripped from you.

Please...I adore you guys, I am on your side, believe me. I just can't understand why Blizz needs more money...and from your years of work. Heh, so much for being able to have a say about something that is (really, when you think about it) copywrited by you, the authors. I think a lot of us who can't afford a lot...would be so much more willing (and I've seen a lot already doing this since this crud started) to help out. Sad it's late, I know. But this is just...

ugh I'm babbling...I think of all the kicks from Blizz..this is the one that hangs heavy in my heart. (and again I do hope WoWI can somehow continue, even if on a freebie forum...so we can at least all be together, if that makes sense :/. )

Loves ya all

"You never really learn much from hearing yourself talk." ~ George Clooney

*۝*Jeania/Anjelie ~ Dalaran*۝*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
04-01-09, 02:05 AM   #12
cawfee
An Aku'mai Servant

Oh god you almost got me.
04-01-09, 02:10 AM   #13
Prodigio
A Kobold Labourer

New gift opportunities

I imagine children Easter or Christmas wish list to their parents..."Buy me addons"... that's so sad...
04-01-09, 02:12 AM   #14
Stuck
A Kobold Labourer
April fools anyone? =)
04-01-09, 02:20 AM   #15
Eggi
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Finally addon authors can live again from creating addons!
04-01-09, 02:21 AM   #16
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
I would also like to clarify that the WoWInterface Updater which was under development is being adapted to this new system. While it will need a new name for the program due to the imminent shutdown of WoWInterface, we are fortunate that the application was indeed coded in a modular fashion. I will be in touch with Blizzard regarding the possibility of creating a module for the program which supports this store externally. This allows you to ensure you don't lose any of your favorite features from the various updaters you might use now, while allowing Blizzard to maintain this store which, I think, will help authors be able to promote their software in a one-stop-shop location.

Again I hope the best for everyone and look forward to the success of Blizzard and their new system, along with the supporting authors.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/
04-01-09, 02:30 AM   #17
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
As an addon author I'm really satisfied that we have a set of guidelines to follow and that there is actually some system of enforcing them. For those of us who have been lucky enough to beta test the Addon SDK, it's really simple to use and there's only a slight delay in posting addons to the store.

As a moderator here at WoWInterface.com, I'm just hopeful that the WoWI community is able to live on in spite of the lack of traffic and advertising. It's great that the addon authors (and Blizzard) can now make money, but it's really harsh that a source of income for the addon sites is being removed.

Best wishes to everyone!
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
04-01-09, 02:39 AM   #18
MadCow
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I'm not sure how to feel about this although I cant say i didnt see it coming. I even mentioned the possibilty in a thread recently. Its the wave of the future. We can expect all MMOs to follow Eq2 and now WoWs examples.
I sure will miss wowinterface.
04-01-09, 02:45 AM   #19
jaliborc
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I dislike the idea of loosing WoWInterface and not having the option to say to Blizzard: all my addons are free!!
04-01-09, 02:49 AM   #20
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Let me get this straight.... Addons will only be available through the addon store? And it sounds as if very few addons will be available for free anymore??? WOWI IS SHUTTING DOWN?!?!?!?! I really haven't been taking much of the discussion about this topic very seriously, but now I feel as if I'll be damned if I have to give Blizz one more cent of my hard earned money! Please excuse my language, but this is incredibly upsetting to me. I jokingly posted a comment last week about how Blizz might be looking to take over the addon business all for itself, but at the time I thought it was just that, a joke... I'm not laughing anymore...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » More Upcoming 3.1 AddOn Changes