12-02-10, 01:52 PM   #1
BakaNeko59
A Kobold Labourer
Wink Automatic database uploads?

I'd like to suggest that carbonite put a section into the main Carbonite program that will automatically upload users' carbonite.lua data file that they need for updating the database. You could have it configurable for how often it gets uploaded, etc.

However, you should make sure users know you're doing it, though, and default people to and "opt-out" setting rather than making it totally automatic.

It might help get the database up to date sooner. I miss my colored maps...

12-02-10, 02:01 PM   #2
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It's not possible to do something like that from within an addon. LUA runs within a sandbox that really only has access to the things that Blizzard exposes. We're not able to read/write to files on the computer, send/receive email, etc. And for good reason, if an addon could do things like this it would be possible to write malicious addons.

We have already received a lot of data from users and we expect to have the database back better than ever very soon.

12-05-10, 05:09 PM   #3
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
would it be possible to to have a little program that run's out side of wow that would upload our files directly to you. I know the stance that alot of people have in regards to things like this, just thought i would make a suggestion.

12-08-10, 01:40 PM   #4
Paprika
A Black Drake
Originally Posted by gothicknight View Post
would it be possible to to have a little program that run's out side of wow that would upload our files directly to you. I know the stance that alot of people have in regards to things like this, just thought i would make a suggestion.
MobMap and Wowhead are doing the same, i would love contributing to Carbonite's database in the same way.

12-14-10, 07:08 AM   #5
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm sure some people would be willing to use an .exe, since I made a Carbonite auto updater a few years ago that people used. The problem is time. We are not hard core web developers, so tasks like that end up being lots of trial and error, which takes lots of time, so it is not something we would probably ever do.

12-22-10, 09:27 AM   #6
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

This is something I might take a look at after the holidays, it would be windows only though.

01-12-11, 07:40 PM   #7
RallyCat
Premium Member
Premium Member
Perhaps asking wowhead if they'll let you use their code to make your own? Not sure if you've ever talked with them, but they seem decent.

01-17-11, 02:47 PM   #8
Paprika
A Black Drake
This would be the perfect time to work out a solution with WoWHead and Gatherer:
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=37827
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...DBWoWHead.html

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Automatic database uploads?