02-16-07, 08:39 AM   #81
Auralei
A Cyclonian

Once again, Mazzle's overblown sense of importance has won out, eh? Nice job, Mazzle. To Nomad, I apologize for linking your mod here, since I didn't realize that Mazzle would claim it was an infringement. Maybe soon I'll post some instructions for everyone on how to code out Mazzlegasms......

02-16-07, 08:41 AM   #82
the_nomad
A Murloc Raider
I believe MazzleFizz feels that instructions on removing the MazzleGasm are also a breach of his copyright.

If you'd like to support the NoGasms mod, I recommend posting about it on the WoW forums, or emailing popular WoW news sites with news of it.

02-16-07, 08:44 AM   #83
Auralei
A Cyclonian

Will do.:P

02-16-07, 08:51 AM   #84
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by trickdaemon
If your meaningless addon makes him stop updating, I'll find you.

That's exactly what will happen. If people continue along these lines, I'll simply stop supporting the project and releasing new version. I'll make it a private project for me and my friends. I already enough headaches to deal with. I don't need to add dealing with people like this to the list.

02-16-07, 08:56 AM   #85
trickdaemon
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by the_nomad
I'm sorry, are you threatening me? That seems a bit uncalled-for...

And with the best will in the world, it's MazzleFizz's decision if he/she stops developing MazzleUI. Given that I understand a lot of people other than him/her have put time into developing it, I hope he won't do so out of pique. But working on a project like this is a lot of work, and no-one but him/her can tell him/her to do it - I'm sure he/she has more important things in his/her life too!

(Which gender are you, BTW, MazzleFizz? All this him/her stuff is getting awkward!)
Not really, this is the best compilation for a user interface for world of warcraft, it makes the game 10x better if not more. If you take that away, the game will have ****ty "offbrand" ui mods which are boring and meaningless.

02-16-07, 09:00 AM   #86
Wonders
A Murloc Raider
NOOO! Please don't stop!

02-16-07, 09:01 AM   #87
the_nomad
A Murloc Raider
I agree with you, MazzleUI is a fantastic mod.

02-16-07, 09:04 AM   #88
SquishyMage
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
Answer:

If you don't like an add-on that makes your character say something when you install it, don't use it. It's the same thing as choosing not to use an add-on like Necrosis that mutters something when you summon your pet. No one is forcing you to use this.
That's a flawed comparison. Necrosis doesn't emote upon install or login. It emotes when a user chooses to summon a steed or demon. The Necrosis author has provided users a method to disable the emote prior to use of the emote, unlike MazzleUI.

02-16-07, 09:04 AM   #89
Auralei
A Cyclonian

Ya know, I'm not going to say that Mazzle's addon isn't nice, it is. It's very nice. Except for two things that are annoying beyond belief, and this thread is about one of them. They put alot of hard work into the addon and it paid off, it really did. It's a beautiful addon. And I hope they don't quit producing the addon for the people who love it and use it.

However, I also hope they lighten up a bit. Forcing the Mazzlegasm on someone is seriously immature. If people want to code it out, tell people how to code it out, or release a mod that does just that, then so be it. It isn't ruining the addon by even a small percentage, it's making it useful for people who can't use it because of a stupid line of code! And it isn't any type of infringement.

Also, saying that this mod, in any way, defines whether you can play WoW or not, is ridiculous.

Mazzle makes her/his own headaches. Trust me on that one.

02-16-07, 09:07 AM   #90
SquishyMage
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by the_nomad
I believe MazzleFizz feels that instructions on removing the MazzleGasm are also a breach of his copyright.
He can feel that all he wants. Legally he is wrong. A breach of his copyright would be redistributing the addon without his permission. However, giving instructions how how to remove a yell emote has NOTHING to do with his copyright.

02-16-07, 09:08 AM   #91
SquishyMage
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
No, that mod is redistribution of work that is not his and is a copyright violation and does not need to be linked. If people continue to not respect the basic rules of copyright, I will simply stop spending time developing for this community and not release any updates and make this a private project.
You really don't have a clue about copyright.

02-16-07, 09:34 AM   #92
mckibbip
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Wow...

I've been silent on this topic, just watching the hits going back and forth.
I think that I understand both sides:

The Problem: 'A silly emote/dance done when ever a mazzify is done'

Side A (End Users): Some users of this excellent collection do not like this feature and want an option to turn if off - Pretty simple.

Side B (Mazzle): Mod developer that has spent countless nights/weeks/months working on and tweaking this collection - and making it available to others to enjoy. Likes the silly emote/dance and added it to the collection for personal reasons (comedic value, advertising of mod use, etc - not really sure of this motivation). Simply put - the mod developer likes it and it is therefore part of the collection.

NOTE: Mazzle has already indicated that work is being done to re-introduce the limit on the how many 'gasms take place during a certain period of time.

My question then to Mazzle is this: If you are going through the effort to limit how many 'gasms take place over a certain period of time, why not simply add an on/off option?
It's obvious that this would be pretty simple to accomplish. You have options for enabling and disabling options everywhere else - why is this matter so different?

It seems that several users have requested this feature and it's up to you to decide to include or not include this feature in future releases, but at least give an explanation around your decision. What is the true factor in why you do not want to provide this option?

I personally like this collection and plan on using it for some time (assuming that you continue development). I do not like the 'gasm emote/dance myself, but can live with it.

Thanks,

02-16-07, 09:42 AM   #93
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

That's exactly what will happen. If people continue along these lines, I'll simply stop supporting the project and releasing new version. I'll make it a private project for me and my friends. I already enough headaches to deal with. I don't need to add dealing with people like this to the list.

Well that is easily solved! STOP RESPONDING TO THEM. Every response is adding kindling to the fire. So... STOP. Anything worth, and not worth saying on this topic has already been said. I suggest you lock the thread and be done with it.

I also find it very interesting that in the code there appears to be a list of player names that are not affected by the Mazzlegasm. I find it interesting that a couple of the names in there are so strongly defending it on this forum, yet they themselves are not having Mazzlegasm's when they run the Mazzlefier.

In summary - Mazzle isn't changing the code, if you don't like it you have two options: don't use the mod, or fix it on your machine and do not distribute the fix to anyone nor provide instructions on how to do so. There ya go - end of story.

Last edited by Flarin : 02-16-07 at 09:54 AM.

02-16-07, 09:51 AM   #94
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by SquishyMage
That's a flawed comparison. Necrosis doesn't emote upon install or login. It emotes when a user chooses to summon a steed or demon. The Necrosis author has provided users a method to disable the emote prior to use of the emote, unlike MazzleUI.
As I said in the third post, my point is only that doing emotes and the like is a legal thing for an add-on to do, and this is hardly the first add-on to do it. If Necrosis did not have an option to turn it off, the point would be the same. The only difference would be that if you really didn't want to hear those /says, you'd simply choose not to use Necrosis. That author chose to make it an option, and I chose not to. If mine occurred frequently during every gaming session, like Necrosis's does, I might choose differently.

Originally Posted by SquishyMage
He can feel that all he wants. Legally he is wrong. A breach of his copyright would be redistributing the addon without his permission. However, giving instructions how how to remove a yell emote has NOTHING to do with his copyright.
His original mod was a straight up distribution of altered code. He has since changed it to be a patch.

I'm not exactly sure how copyright applies to a patch. There seems to be a lot of debate of this issue in the linux community where patches are the standard. I could imagine it being a fair use thing, and I can also imagine it being considered equivalent since it is clearly nothing more than an alternate distribution method that only works with the original copyrighted material. To me, the intent of redistributing code, providing patches or posting instructions is exactly the same.

In any case, whether it was a clearly obvious violation like his original redistribution of actual code or a patch like his newer one, I would obviously never spend one cent pursuing the matter. Hobby communities like this rely on the respect and cooperation of the community. If that doesn't exist and I have to deal with a lot of this crap, I'll simply get out and stop dealing with it. And that's exactly where this is going.

02-16-07, 10:03 AM   #95
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Flarin

I also find it very interesting that in the code there appears to be a list of player names that are not affected by the Mazzlegasm. I find it interesting that a couple of the names in there are so strongly defending it on this forum, yet they themselves are not having Mazzlegasm's when they run the Mazzlefier.

It's not really that interesting. Those are a list of my characters. It's there b/c I have to do dozens of repeated, clean installs to test even the most basic of things. I added Tigerheart's characters a while back too when he was helping me a lot over break.

02-16-07, 10:11 AM   #96
Flarin
A Frostmaul Preserver

It's not really that interesting. Those are a list of my characters. It's there b/c I have to do dozens of repeated, clean installs to test even the most basic of things. I added Tigerheart's characters a while back too when he was helping me a lot over break.

Fair enough.

Anyway - I love the mod, love the Mazzlegasm (forgot to mention that in my last post) and will continue using it until Mazzle gets fed up and stops updating it.

The main thrust of the message, Mazzle, was it is obviously apparent that this thread is frustrating you, and the easiest method of ending that frustrating is to stop letting these people SUCK you into their pit of misery! Let them wallow in it and move on. Every post you make gives some person fuel to post something that will further outrage you and piss you off.

The user community owes you a debt of gratitude for putting together a package that enhances gameplay beyond what I believe the folks at Blizzard will EVER understand or grasp.

THANK YOU for your TIME and your EFFORT and I hope you will find your center, ignore the "playa hata's" and push forward with the next release of the UI.

Cheers...

02-16-07, 10:18 AM   #97
the_nomad
A Murloc Raider
I'm not getting involved in this one any more - both sides have some valid points, it's an interesting argument, I'm not going to be removing my mod, I don't think MazzleFizz will be changing his code, and I've got a lot of writing to do!

MazzleFizz is quite correct - my original distribution contained some original code from MazzleUI. MazzleFizz contacted me and let me know he/she wasn't happy with that, so I modified it into a patch. He/she also let me know he/she wasn't happy with its existence period, but after thinking a bit about it, I didn't feel that was a valid reason to stop distribution, as I've said to him/her privately.

And just to be 100% clear on this - I spent about 3 hours, total, writing this patch. MazzleFizz spent hundreds of hours, I expect, working on MazzleUI, and a great job he/she did too. He/she da man/woman. I'm just a fan.

Last edited by the_nomad : 02-16-07 at 10:37 AM.

02-16-07, 10:28 AM   #98
deac
A Murloc Raider
It's a great package Mazzle and I appreciate your hard work. I would hate to think that the mazzleui package would just disappear from the public because of some distaste for a couple of emotes and a yell.

02-16-07, 11:24 AM   #99
countjocular
A Kobold Labourer
Wink

Aren't we all missing the key point here? Multiple exclamation marks - there's never a valid excuse

Much as the best open-source software does, the MazzleUI builds on the great work of previous authors, and adds bucketloads of superb code on top of it. This "standing on the shoulders of giants" approach is the best (and some would say the only) way of achieving top-class software with a rapid development cycle and a robust codebase. It could be argued that the_nomad's patch is simply following the "scratch your own itch" philosophy of Linux and the FOSS community. Besides, there's no getting away from it - the Mazzlegasm message is darned irritating.

Btw, Mazzle - MazzleUI is the greatest WoW interface ever written, and beats the default Blizzard interface into a bloody pulp. Thanks for all your hard work (and thanks also to all the other mod authors who's addons are included as part of MazzleUI).

02-16-07, 12:01 PM   #100
Orli
A Murloc Raider

Mazzle, Great job. I cannot even fathom the amount of time and effort you put into not only creating, but maintaining this brilliant UI compilation. I am infinitely impressed and extremely grateful to you for all you have done this far and hope you continue your work as I recognize that you don't have to do this for this gaming community.
Regarding the MazzleGASM. If it wasnt part of the package, I'd still love it. Having it in the package makes no difference to me. It's funny. I have never been put on ignore or been harassed about 1 statement made in game. People don't like spam and MazzleGazm isnt spam its an exclamation. I am using your efforts for my gaming enjoyment and I appreciate that. It's your compilation, if people have missed something here its that. You don't have to do any of this. It is all a privelage given to us by you and most of us understand and respect that. I won't bother making references to previous comments about this issue, that will only feed this redundant fire. I will agree with previous posts recommending this thread be locked so you can get on with your day. It would be a terrible shame for the vast majority of us to have this privelage taken away because of a few naysayers. This is not a discounting of people's opinions, they are entitled to them but you are not obligated to provide a space for it that will ultimately result in this Compilation being terminated for public use. That is my only advise, your Package is great, things can be altered for personal preferences without difficulty (and I'm not what you may call advanced in computer applications) So carry on having fun with it please
For the users, if you don't like a few things about MazzleUI, there are others out there that may suit your needs, you have the right to say no. In this package, Mazzle has all the rights to leave it the same, change it, or discontinue it. Please remember this when you flame and complain. You are affecting a lot of people who love this Package and don't want it changed. You are robbing us of our privelage and that, you have no right to do.
(please note that I didnt discredit anyone specifically, flame any person or idea. I respected you and your ideas and kindly ask that you do the same)
Thank you again.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MazzleGASM FAQ