06-01-19, 10:21 PM   #1
twin_tania
A Defias Bandit
Show and Hide frames on button click

I recently started to learn LUA and have been slowly picking a few stuff up and currently am stuck trying to progress further with what I want to do. So far I've learned to create a frame, add a button, and a couple widgets to it. I've also been able to turn the button into something like a macro using SetAttribute("macrotext1", "/wave") but I have been unsuccessful trying to figure out how to press a button that shows a new frame while hiding the current frame. Basically like almost turning a page.

I have managed to create a new frame by pressing the button but this creates a new frame outside of the existing one by doing something like this.

Code:
frame.sBtn:SetScript("OnClick", function()
		local newFrames = CreateFrame("Frame", "DragFrame", UIParent, "TranslucentFrameTemplate")
		newFrames:SetWidth(150)
		newFrames:SetHeight(320)
		newFrames:SetFrameStrata("MEDIUM")
		newFrames:SetPoint("CENTER",  UIParent, "CENTER",0,-20)			
end)
But as mentioned this only created a brand new frame. I would appreciate any help or if there is somewhere I can get this info that is easy to digest. I tried looking at other addons but the amount of code inside those folders is very overwhelming since I am not quite sure what I need to be looking for.
06-01-19, 11:04 PM   #2
twin_tania
A Defias Bandit
Ok, after finally taking a break my mind was finally able to make a bit more progress but it is still incomplete from what I am trying to do. I managed to show and hide on demand by pressing the button a secondary frame I created within the file doing the following.

Code:
local newFrameHidden = false
frame.sBtn:SetScript("OnClick", function(self)

if newFrameHidden == false then
		newFrame:Hide()
		newFrameHidden = true
	else
		newFrame:Show()
		newFrameHidden = false
	end

end)
Now this is probably an ugly approach to someone who is experienced but so far is what I was able to think off at the moment.
06-01-19, 11:28 PM   #3
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lua Code:
  1. frame.sBtn:SetScript("OnClick", function(self)
  2.     newFrame:SetShown(not newFrame:IsShown())  
  3. end)

Essentially, change the frame's shown state to what it is not now.

If you wanted to hide frame at the same time, add
Code:
self:GetParent():SetShown(not self:GetParent()IsShown())
to the above script. This assumes you have created the button (sBtn) with "frame" as its parent.

If you have a button on newFrame to toggle back, use the same script in its OnClick handler only replace newFrame with frame

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 06-02-19 at 06:15 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Show and Hide frames on button click