07-15-10, 06:59 PM   #1
Malhemoth
A Murloc Raider
NPC Scan modification?

NPC scan has a database of mobs which it scans for and plays a sound and auto targets when it finds one, correct?

Is there any way to add an NPC I want it to scan an play a sound for?
07-15-10, 07:20 PM   #2
cloudwolf
A Black Drake
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
if i'm correct the reason its only for rare mobs is because once it finds the mob you have to delete a file so that it can find it again so if its a common mob it would only work on the first one you find.
07-15-10, 07:28 PM   #3
Malhemoth
A Murloc Raider
I see.

I'm just farming one mob for rep. I'm looking for a more efficient way of knowing when he respawns (I'm currently setting a timer for his median respawn time.)

Are there any addons that could have similar functionality (such as playing a sound) when he respawns?
07-15-10, 08:53 PM   #4
Saiket
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Malhemoth View Post
I see.

I'm just farming one mob for rep. I'm looking for a more efficient way of knowing when he respawns (I'm currently setting a timer for his median respawn time.)

Are there any addons that could have similar functionality (such as playing a sound) when he respawns?
I think the mod SilverDragon can continue to work even if the mob gets cached, as long as you have nameplates turned on and you stand next to the spawn point.
07-15-10, 09:36 PM   #5
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by cloudwolf View Post
once it finds the mob you have to delete a file so that it can find it again
There is another way around this as well. Find the creaturecache.wdb file in your WoW\Cache directory. Edit it's properties and make it "read only" after emptying it. That prevents any new information from being written to the file allowing npcscan to always detect the mob.

I'm too lazy to be forced to continuously delete a file

FYI as well: WoW requires the ability to modify/delete whatever this file whenever a new patch is released. You will get an error when you install a patch with this marked as read only.

Last edited by Vis : 07-15-10 at 09:38 PM.
07-15-10, 11:27 PM   #6
Malhemoth
A Murloc Raider
how would I go about adding the mob I need into npc scan?
07-16-10, 04:32 AM   #7
harrellj
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
When you look at npcscan in the interface > options window, at the bottom (under the box showing the current mobs its looking for), there should be two text boxes. The top one is for the ID of the mob (look it up on wowinterface and it's the number at the end of the URL (ex: ICC LK is 36597)). The bottom box is for the mob's name (and in the case of LK, would be the lich king). Thats it.
07-16-10, 09:34 AM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I believe harrellj means to look it up on wowhead.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-17-10, 09:26 PM   #9
harrellj
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I believe harrellj means to look it up on wowhead.
Oops You would be correct

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » NPC Scan modification?