06-04-08, 02:04 PM   #1
Jerricka
An Aku'mai Servant

AceComm Passworded?

As of today upon login and I get the message in my general chat window "You have joined the GLOBAL AceComm channel." I get a popup on my screen saying every few seconds to every few minutes, I get a pop up window that says:

Please enter a password for 'AceComm'.
[ .............................]
[OK] [Cancel]

What is the password? I have a feeling several mods will not work because of this. I found a thread in the wow forums with just this problem and the suggestion made was to ask a GM to unlock the channel. I did just that and the GM said that the problem is with my 3rd party mods and I should reset my interface entirely because I must have a corrupted mod. Is this true, you think? I didn't install any new mods in the last 6 hours, which is when WoW was working just fine without this problem..
So what do I do now?
06-04-08, 07:59 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
It's not supposed to be password protected. You may have an addon using it incorrectly or someone else does... /shrug
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

06-04-08, 09:52 PM   #3
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't know what's funnier.... someone passwording your server's channel, or a GM telling you to reset your UI.

I swear, the GMs don't know jack about addons, they just throw "reset your UI" around like the old Windows 9x "REBOOT!"
06-04-08, 10:04 PM   #4
tardmrr
Lua Ninja
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
06-04-08, 11:07 PM   #5
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
yeah, sadly, someone noticed they had percolated up to become moderator of this channel, and put a password on it... either because they were fooling around, or out of malice (i suspect malice; we have had bozos on our realm doing this to consensual world channels, to jerk people around).

i guess with world channels, the password is removed at any point the last person leaves the channel (at worst at realm restart). of course, there is nothing stopping some person (same or different) from doing the same thing again.

problem with this sort of implementation (AceComm, xtenstiontooltip, etc) is that it constitutes conscientious anarchy. the problem with conscientious anarchy is that in order to function it requires people to be conscientious. too many people are anything but (i use the term "petty sociopath" in this context... people who are happy to jerk others around, but don't have the hair to do it in real life, they are afraid of getting punched on the nose... and then a guildmate said something funny, and apropos: "no, sociopaths have better things to do, we are dealing with idiots and *ssholes").

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » AceComm Passworded?