04-26-09, 10:03 AM   #1
Darkorical
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
FireFox search

In an attempt to reduce the size of my bookmarks I have been converting sites I regularly visit and search for something into search plugins for Firefox.

After I finished I thought others might like to have some of them as well.

Here are the ones for Wow Interface and Curse. Just save either of the files to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\ and reboot Firefox
When you reboot you should have two new items in your search drop down.

***Alternatively if not. Feel free to move this post to a better location or reuse the file in anyway you wish.**
Attached Files
File Type: xml curse.xml (2.0 KB, 670 views)
File Type: xml wowinterface.xml (1.9 KB, 677 views)

Last edited by Darkorical : 04-26-09 at 12:17 PM.
04-26-09, 11:12 AM   #2
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There are already search plugins at Mycroft for WoWInterface and Curse.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
04-26-09, 11:29 AM   #3
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
I've removed the attached file. Please don't post executables here.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."
04-26-09, 12:21 PM   #4
Darkorical
An Aku'mai Servant

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
While that is good to know I personally like to know what I'm putting into my browser its quite easy to look at what I posted and know that my search request and IP or anything else aren't going anywhere I didn't want them to.

I know I'm a bit paranoid but I don't like to install any browser add ons that I cant examine and easily remove all traces.
04-26-09, 12:43 PM   #5
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The Mycroft Project, as described on Wikipedia:

The Mycroft project provides a collection of search plugins for Mozilla-based web browsers. The open source project is hosted on Mozdev.org and has been in existence since 2000. The project is named after Mycroft Holmes, the fictional older, smarter, and less ambitious brother of Sherlock Holmes, as a reference to Mycroft being based on Apple Computer's Sherlock search technology.
As for Mozdev itself:

mozdev.org is a website that offers free project hosting and software development tools to the Mozilla community. Many Firefox extensions are hosted on the site, but Thunderbird and SeaMonkey extensions and stand-alone Mozilla-based applications can also be found. It is free to set up a project there, but all development must be done using a license approved by the OSI. Over 250 projects are currently under active development on Mozdev. The site is run by the non-profit Mozdev Community Organization.
I think it's pretty safe to say that if you have no issues using Firefox you should probably also have no issues getting search engine plug-ins from Mycroft.

04-26-09, 01:02 PM   #6
Kunstbanause
A Defias Bandit
Hei thanks, ill use these very much.
I wrote one for WoW-Instincs if you care
All addons sites in one is always good I think.
Attached Files
File Type: xml wow_instincts.xml (15.5 KB, 648 views)
04-26-09, 03:09 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
What is that wow-instincts site? I've never heard of it and it doesn't turn up in a search (though, I admit, I didn't look very far through the results).
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-26-09, 03:14 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
That ^^ is the one I use.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
04-26-09, 03:24 PM   #9
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
What is that wow-instincts site? I've never heard of it and it doesn't turn up in a search (though, I admit, I didn't look very far through the results).
http://fin.instinct.org

Nice little site really.

Logs all updates to the addon sites and provides descriptions and stuff. As well as links to the site to download it from.

Last edited by Sepioth : 04-26-09 at 03:26 PM.
04-26-09, 03:25 PM   #10
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
It's Fin's site. If you go there directly and click the down arrow next to your search box in Firefox, you'll have an option at the bottom of the list to add it to your search engines as "WoWmods addon search".

04-26-09, 03:30 PM   #11
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
It's Fin's site. If you go there directly and click the down arrow next to your search box in Firefox, you'll have an option at the bottom of the list to add it to your search engines as "WoWmods addon search".
That does not work for me .. I have no option to add it to my search engines

EDIT .. nevermind .. got it to work. I was on the main page. Went to the Wow addon page and it was there.

Any chance we can get an Official addon like that here?
04-26-09, 05:43 PM   #12
sensory
A Fallenroot Satyr

Found this a very handy Firefox addon to use: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682

Just right-click any search form and you can add it to Firefox.
04-26-09, 08:19 PM   #13
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
http://fin.instinct.org

Nice little site really.

Logs all updates to the addon sites and provides descriptions and stuff. As well as links to the site to download it from.
OHHHh - Fin's site. (Not called wow-instinct ) Yeah, I link that a lot. <3 Fin

(direct link: http://fin.instinct.org/wowmods/ )
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-26-09, 11:11 PM   #14
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by sensory View Post
Found this a very handy Firefox addon to use: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3682

Nice find ... thanks.

Just tried it here and it worked flawlessly .. even lets you use the icon.
04-27-09, 09:42 AM   #15
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by sensory View Post

I've been using this for a long time and have since not had the need for any "official" search plugins. It's flawless and I believe should be built into Firefox, as something similar is built into Opera.

Which isn't to say "no thanks" to the efforts, or anything.
04-30-09, 08:18 AM   #16
septor
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by shkm View Post
I've been using this for a long time and have since not had the need for any "official" search plugins. It's flawless and I believe should be built into Firefox, as something similar is built into Opera.

Which isn't to say "no thanks" to the efforts, or anything.
Is that the only browser that does that? I swear I've seen a browser with that ability and was thinking it would be awesome to have for Firefox.

(Thanks for the addon, btw.)
04-30-09, 12:06 PM   #17
shkm
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by septor View Post
Is that the only browser that does that? I swear I've seen a browser with that ability and was thinking it would be awesome to have for Firefox.

(Thanks for the addon, btw.)
I'm not sure. It certainly wouldn't be hard to pull off for any browser, and frankly I'm quite surprised that Firefox doesn't (appear to) have an implementation of a more Opera-esque solution.

Opera's version allows you to plug in a URL and manually locate where the search string should be, giving you a lot of flexibility.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » FireFox search